3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: So did I let my deer get too hot???  (Read 518 times)

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
So did I let my deer get too hot???
« on: November 14, 2014, 10:33:00 AM »
Guys,

I have been worrying about this so I thought I would throw it at the group.  

I harvested a deer on Sat and we werent able to get it home till that evening.  The daytime high was about 60.  That night it got into the low 40s.  I wrapped it in a blanket the next morning because I knew it was going to get a bit warm.  Well Sun it got in the high 60's.  Since then it has gotten very cold and in fact he is currently frozen.  

So anyway, what are your thoughts?  I left the hide on and field dressed it quickly Sat.

C
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: So did I let my deer get too hot???
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 10:39:00 AM »
Wish I could say differently, but ideal temp for "aging" venison is 37 degrees for 48 hours with the hide off. At 60 the meat deteriorates quite quickly,and it only slows down in the 40's. I'm aftraid you've got green meat under the hide. Quickest way to be sure is slice a slab of back strap and throw it on a hot greased skillet..if its bad, your nose will tell you in a minute or so as the meat heats up.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 10:41:00 AM »
So, it was 60 on Sat, and high 60's on Sun? I would be a bit afraid of that one, but you never know?

Bisch

Offline DoubleLung

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 10:43:00 AM »
We kill deer in September every year where temperatures can get real high 90*+. The key is to get the hide off right away and to not let any cut pieces of meat touch each other. Where they touch it will sour but as long as air gets to it, it will crust over and that crust will buy you some time. Covering it in a blanket may have stopped air flow, tough to say.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 10:56:00 AM »
The blanket was a terrible idea and you should of quartered it and put it on ice, at least packed the inside of the carcass with ice would have been better then nothing at all like you did.

Learning how to properly care for the animals either processing them your self or getting them to the butcher quickly should all be planned out before each hunt. Its as big a part of the hunt as the taking of the animal exspeacially if you know the temps are not going to be favorable.     :nono:    

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 11:04:00 AM »
Id go for it, you'll know if its bad as you start cutting in.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 11:05:00 AM »
If it doesn't stink its good, if it does stink its not good. I always prepare for the worst possible weather scenario and act accordingly.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 11:30:00 AM »
We used to shoot deer in the swamps of the low country of SC in mid August and never had one go bad. We field dressed them and hung them in a screened shed, out of the sun all day and divide them up after the evening hunt. Everyone on those hunts went home with meat whether they shot a deer or not.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 11:35:00 AM »
Thanks for all the varying inputs.  One this cold breaks and the carcass thaws then I guess I will find out.

C
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 11:35:00 AM »
You can get away with a lot, although there is a difference in meat quality (in my mind) between "getting away with" and being prepared for the worst.

I wouldn't throw that deer away just yet.  Process it, get the hide off, cut into the larger cuts and see how they are.  Even if not perfect, you can grind it and use it in chili and stew etc, with spices to flavor it.  Make sure it gets cooked well.

While in Asia and some of Europe, I would see butcher shops with small animal carcasses hanging at ambient temperatures.

CHuckC

Offline Charlie3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 11:42:00 AM »
I'd cut it up and see like some have said.

Deer season starts Sept 1 in WA and the temps are about 65/45, sometimes warmer. I'll immediately field dress, skin and wrap in a sheet, then hang in a garage for 24-36 hours before de-boning and freezing. This has worked well for me. Try doing that in the future after a warm-weather kill.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 11:46:00 AM »
It probably is OK, but it will be one of those that people will say that they don't like the taste of wild game.  

We did that a lot back in the 60s and the venison was just OK.  I learned to get it cold ASAP since then and have had great venison for the table.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 11:48:00 AM »
we in North America are obsessed with refrigeration...other cultures leave food out at seemingly crazy temperatures without issue.

personally I would have pulled the hide and quartered it and gotten in on ice or in a frig, but thats just me.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 12:20:00 PM »
I wouldn't eat it.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 12:40:00 PM »
It will be just fine.  Here in GA, we have more than once left deer out overnight due to sketchy blood trails in September.  Lows might be in the 70s and those deer were ungutted.  They were always fine.

Offline Krex1010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 01:36:00 PM »
As was mentioned let your nose be the judge. In the future if you're dealing with cool nights and warm days, and you can't butcher the deer right away, get the hide off ASAP, quarter the deer if possible and hang the quarters hoof side up to help drainage. Temp is most important, and moisture control is next. Get he heat out of the meat and promote good airflow. The cool nights are your friend, and when the morning comes protect the meat from sun exposure while still keeping it dry. If you must wrap it, use a breathable fabric like cheesecloth. This has worked for me when I get a deer in mild temps and cannot process for a day or two.
"You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim"

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2014, 01:42:00 PM »
air flow is key. if you could have hung it skinned and in a breeze all evening and night while it was cold you probably could get a skin to form,  once that happens if you keep it dry and in the shade it should last a few days with the temps reaching the 60s.  im willing to bet if you left it in the shade that most of the meat will still be good.  you probably will have to trim some color off.

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2014, 01:44:00 PM »
I just got back from Kodiak and had the first couple deer of the trip hang for 2 weeks unfrozen.  the temps were in the mid 40s to high 30s.  under that black skin is nothing but soft wonderfull smelling meals.

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2014, 01:48:00 PM »
Here is a link to a good general guide to care of venison from Penn State University.  http://extension.psu.edu/food/safety/educators/fact-sheets-brochures-books/game-meats/proper-care-and-handling-of-venison-from-field-to-table.  The only thing I would add is that hide is sometimes left on the carcass or quarters to keep them clean during transport or to keep flies off the meat, but air circulation is key to cooling.  Elk hunters frequently skin but then use canvas bags designed specifically for transporting elk quarters. Wrapping your DRY skinned carcass or quarters in cheesecloth is also effective in keeping dirt off while allowing air circulation. If you're in the bush, a heavy sprinkling of course ground black pepper or coffee on the outside of the cheesecloth helps keep flies at bay.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2014, 02:01:00 PM »
The smeller is the teller.  Bad meat smells bad.  I bet it will be fine.  How big of a deer was it?  Did you hang it?  Was it fully cooled to 40's before you added the blanket?
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©