3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What is the argument for 3 blades?  (Read 452 times)

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
What is the argument for 3 blades?
« on: November 14, 2014, 03:42:00 PM »
I hear lots of reasons for choosing a 2 blade head. Yet I never hear anything about 3 blades other than '3 blades cut more'. I literally hear that every time but nothing more.

I am just wondering is that really true? Not to mention we could be comparing a huge Centaur or big Simmons head to a Woodsman for instance.

So I'm just sitting here wondering, do 3 blades really produce noticeably more blood?

(didn't include a 4 blade because it's more like an option for a 2 blade not a novel design)

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is the argument for 3 blades?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 03:50:00 PM »
I think they do; I've shot deer with three blades and Stingers, and thought the three blade wound bled more, myself.  I have not used a truly large two blade, though.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 04:12:00 PM »
Cut more, I find them dramatically easier to sharpen, and I'm sure it's in my head but I feel like they fly better.  Never had the least bit of penetration issues either.

Offline Charlie3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 04:21:00 PM »
Snowplow, try to read the Ashby arrow lethality studies. They should be archived on this site, if not, just google them.

Some folks do not agree with his findings, but to date it is the ONLY such comprehensive study, and thus should be used as a reference at least for any bowhunter.

Basically, all else being equal, 3 blade and 2 blade heads will penetrate soft tissus at a similar rate. The 3 blade will create a larger wound channel. The 2 blade will penetrate bone significantly better.

I choose to use 2 blades because they give me better odds to put two holes in the critter even if I do not make a perfect shot. A narrow 2 blade that leaves an exit wound will usually create more blood on the ground than a 3 blade that does not leave an exit wound.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 05:45:00 PM »
They work fine.  Get em sharp and put them in the right spot.  We argue too much over very little.

Two blade, three blade, six blade. .  most of us are hunting deer. They aren't that large, certainly not anything like those subjects used in the Natal studies.

Sharp, in the right spot.  Those are the important issues.

ChuckC

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 06:42:00 PM »
I have shot some critters with both 2 blade and 3.  Where I hunt the main hog game animals are whitetails and hogs.  Hogs are really the test animal.  If you can get thru them then no issue with a whitetail.  The only three blade I have used is a woodsman and woodsman elite. Based on the blood trails and recovery distance the three blade puts more blood down.  I have had less recovery distance with the three blade.  This is a woodsman elite head.  I have to say it is the only broadhead I am shooting and see no reason to shoot anything else.  If I was going to Africa tomorrow, I would shoot a woodsman elite and only change the arrow I was shooting.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 06:47:00 PM »
Here's my reason….and it's not a fluke.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 06:49:00 PM »
good blood trails for sure
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »
I think it matters most what is cut as to blood on the ground, location of entrance and exit wound as well, rather than number of blades. You get the aorta you'll have blood everywhere. Go over it and your popping just the lungs and smaller arteries, you'll still have blood on the ground but maybe not as much as the aorta will give??
I was just sharpening some 160 grizzly single bevels and some VPA 3 blades. All had been shot into the target. I can sharpen the VPAs a lot easier than I can those grizzlys.

Both styles have killed ALOT of critters!
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »
I once heard or read the Wensel brothers saying that they designed the Woodsman because they felt the 3 blade created a hole, not a slot like the 2 blade... the idea being that a hole would obviously result in a better blood.
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 07:04:00 PM »
2 blades for me, for the same theory Charlie3 stated in his last sentence...although I like the wider ones...it's a personal choice, like which bow to shoot, and what your arrows are made of...

Using a 2-blade might teach you more about trailing animals;    anyone  can follow a trail like the one in Bill Carlsen's photo!!       :biglaugh:
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Offline Big Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 09:27:00 PM »
Personally, I just like the idea of cutting on more than one plane. Whatever is more accurate always gets my vote, though.

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 11:03:00 PM »
I've used 2, 3, and 4 blades to take game.  All work as long as I do my part.  But, with that being said, I like 3 blade heads the best.  

Not only 3 blades, but big 3 blades...  Big Jim Big 3, VPA 1 1/4" 250 grain, Snuffer 160 with 100 gr insert...  I've used Woodsmans, Razorcaps, and standard VPA, but with the #'age I shoot I like to do as much damage on the way through as I can...  Even 2 and 4 blades are big...  Zwickey Delta, Magnus 1, Centaur Big Game and Battle Axe, Silverflame DS...  

Big wide holes are the norm, putting a lot of blood on the ground.  But, blood trails usually are not necessary as they usually fall in sight...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2014, 01:54:00 AM »
Thanks guys!

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2014, 08:06:00 PM »
Currently shoot Magnus MagI in 160 grain and get good blod trails.  Even when I hit a 60# pig in the neck and push out the other side below her eye.  Plan to go to Grizzly Instinct heads next year though.  I have shot Rothaar Snuffers in the past.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2014, 11:12:00 PM »
Simple math...  3 - 3" blades = 9" of razor going through the animal vs 5 to 6" on a two blade.... it's a no brainer....

But a two blade will get er done too, and often get better penetration if you hit bone or clip a shoulder blade.....  I hunt with both... depends on my mood at the time...

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2014, 03:24:00 AM »
There is a reason three sided bayonets are illegal by the Geneva Convention
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2014, 08:17:00 AM »
3 blade VPA for me.  They make great holes and leave blood trails I cn see.
T ZZZZ

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2014, 01:00:00 PM »
I love the woodsmans...in about 15 minutes I can have one majorly sharp using my favorite file..can't do that with a two blade.

I am sometimes not happy with how my two blades sharpen and end up not using them...never had that problem with a woodsman.

Shot a deer a couple days ago here in central Texas...and it was really cold. The shot was 12-15 yards full broadside. My release was bad, probly cause I was shivering so hard my bones were banging together, and I pulled the shot high and back....not good.

The arrow (675 grains) passed through the buck like lightning and stuck in the ground. The buck startled but didn't move...he bunched up and moved at a slow walk probly 15 yards in a semi circle when his back legs fell. He tipped over and died almost in front of my tripod stand, about 15 yards out in front of me.

Total time from shot to going down was about 10 seconds.

The woodsman was still sharp enough to get back in the stand and continue hunting with it.

I know...that's just one deer, but it was dramatic to see. I just knew I was gonna spend the day looking for that wounded deer.

Makes me a believer, and that's not the only time something like that has happened...

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2014, 01:03:00 PM »
Wow, I went to seventh grade in Pflugerville.  Long, long time ago.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©