3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What is the argument for 3 blades?  (Read 451 times)

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is the argument for 3 blades?
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2014, 06:38:00 PM »
I had one bad experience with a 2 blade. Good shot, complete pass through, no blood at all. Deer died within 100 yds, fat sealed up the "slits". Been using woodsmans since.  I have killed elk, mule deer, whitetails, pronghorn and hogs with them. No complaints with the three blades.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2014, 09:38:00 PM »
Wierd but between rifle and bow I've shot around 20 deer. I've had exactly one blood trail. I've talked to two friends of mine that only rifle hunt and both said it's the exception not the norm to get a blood trail even when they put a big hole in a deer. So I dunno if it wasn't for the fact I did have one blood trail I would think they were a myth. Thinking about the three pigs I've shot with a bow two there was no blood the third blood at the spot I shot him but no trail.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2014, 06:22:00 AM »
I like Kirk's way of thinking. Been on enough 2 blade blood trails, to know I'm a 160gr Snuffer guy.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2014, 08:12:00 AM »
My 2 cents from field testing.

Its always best to have an exit hole. The exit hole is usually lower in the body (assuming elevated hunter) and is the drain plug. "The exit hole" IMHO should be everyone's goal.

Many factors to take into account but for deer the size of ours here, if you shoot 55 lbs or over go for the 3 blade if you like. If you shoot under 55 lbs go with a 2 blade. Doesn't matter how great an archer you are, can't be sure of a perfect shot every time and the goal should be an exit hole.

Smaller southern deer 50 lbs on a 3 blade cutoff.

Hogs I would raise the poundage to at least 60 before I would recommend shooting a 3 blade.

Elk I would raise the poundage even more etc.

Off little off subject but total arrow weight is also a major determining factor in achieving an exit hole.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2014, 10:10:00 AM »
I use both, but probably the three blades more often. I agree with the slot vs. the hole theory. Snuffers make big hole's.

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
I just started using single bevel heads this year and I'm very impressed.  Have shot 2 hogs and a Sika deer all with 2 holes and great blood trails.  Not that I needed blood trails the 2 hogs didn't make it 30 yards and the Sika maybe 45.  I was using a 55# long bow.  

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2014, 12:54:00 PM »
I have always been a two blade guy, but many friends have stated that they have gotten much better blood trails with 3 headed broadheads. That alone is sufficient reason to use them.
Sam

Online durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2014, 03:18:00 PM »
3 blade for me...on deer and elk...for me its blood trail and what i have confidence in...

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2014, 03:41:00 PM »
If you get a complete pass through there is no doubt a 3 blade bleeds more, the question is which penetrates better ? Would rather have a pass through with a 2 blade, than just stick it in with a 3 blade, especially a down ward shot, like from a treestand. I have killed way more whitetails with 2 blades, than 3 blades, but have had some pretty crappy blood trails with 2 blades. After over 20 years , im still undecided which is best, but I still tend to use 2 blades. Maybe just because they are easier to sharpen.
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2014, 03:45:00 PM »
Woodsman Elite, glue on 160 grain.  I am shooting aluminum arrows 2117 with the glue on adapter designed for use with glue on broadhead.  The glue on adapters go up into the shaft over an inch, this adds strength to the end of the aluminum arrow and internal "foots" it.  

This is the best "tuned" set up I have shot in years.  I bare shafted over the summer and I am shooting an arrow rest.  Pig and buck both total pass thru, I thought I missed the pig it went thru so fast.  I am shooting 10 grain per pound.  610 grain arrow at 60# @ 27".  Super Diablo recurve.  The super devil spoke.  LOL!  Wicked, just wicked...

Buck exit side quartering forward shot, 40 yrd recovery

Arrow and Vanes covered with blood,

Sow, about 60 yrd recovery, quartering away shot...

Longbows & Short Shots

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2014, 06:08:00 PM »
:)     :campfire:
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2014, 06:34:00 PM »
Easier to sharpen 3 sides as compared,to,four on a 2 blade.
Can align blades with feathers for better flight. A hole instead of a slit. And personally I like to see a 3 blade in my peripheral vision over a 2 blade.

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2014, 06:55:00 PM »
I'm going Friday morning I'm udon simmons sharks. I'm going to put the bleeder blades on. I've never used them before.

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2014, 08:47:00 AM »
I have used both and really haven't seen that much difference in blood trails. I have used two blades most and get much better penetration. I was asked to use a VPA 3 blade for a doe hunt I have coming up and have no worries about using them. Deer size game I will use any legal broadhead but when you get to elk or bigger I would go two blade. A good compromise is a wide two blade like a centaur big game head. I really like the hole they leave.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2014, 12:41:00 PM »
I would like to shoot a wide broadhead, but I have found at longer distance that many are too sensitive to any shooter error or wind.  The best shooting heads I have found for accuracy are Howard Hill's and Schulz Hunter's Heads.  They are not super durable is the down side.  

I like the durability and forgiving nature of the VPA or Woodsman Elite.  The best compromise.  I wish more of the wheel bow guys would shoot a decent broad head.  I am always amazed to see a guy shooting a 70 pound wheel bow and have poor penetration.      ;)
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2014, 02:39:00 PM »
Then again if you don't get a pass through that arrow is hitting on brush and the broad head is cutting like crazy. For hogs I would rather have this since the arrow forces open the hole to let more blood out rather than a slit closing up.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©