3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stikbows  (Read 160 times)

Offline Odyssey12

• Trad Bowhunter
Stikbows
« on: November 14, 2014, 08:05:00 PM »
I would like to take a moment to tell you about my experience with purchasing my Sitkbow from Rich Emery in Portland, IN.  I am a 65 year old retired wildlife biologist from Indiana DNR.  I retired last April after 42 years.  I have bow hunted since I was 16 with various types of equipment and have watched archery equipment morph and change most of my life.  I have owned and shot at least a dozen different compounds in my life, but I have always held a soft spot in my heart for traditional.  My first recurve was a Wing Thunderbird that I bought about 1970 or 71.  I also own a Howard Hill Big 5, and a Dick Palmer longbow.  After retiring I sold the last two compounds that I owned and started hanging out with a group of guys that were shooting traditional.  I was given the name of Rich Emery in Portland, IN, as a local bowyer who had taken over for the late Don Dow that I am sure many of you were acquainted.  I didn't want to buy a "pig in a poke" without meeting the person that was actually building bows, so I went to his house and shop in late September and spent a couple of hours talking with Rich and his fiancee, and looking at, handling, and shooting some of his bows.  I was extremely impressed with their genuine friendliness and professionalism.  I ended up ordering a Stikbow from him, and after waiting for what seemed like an eternity to me, because I was anxious to get it, but was in reality only five weeks, it came in the mail.  I am absolutely stunned by its beauty and performance.  It is only 54 inches long, and 48# at 28".  I only draw 27 inches, but I still get no stack and no finger pinch.  It shoots smooth with virtually no hand shock and it is quiet even with no silencers on the string.  I wanted a short bow, because I don't know how many more years I will be able to hunt from tree stands.  It shoots like a dream.  I had one of my bow buddies make me a set of carbon shaft arrows with the wood grain look.  We spent a couple of hours yesterday tuning them to the bow, and they shoot awesome.  I know it's late in the bow season now, but I still intend to get this puppy out and hope for a possible opportunity at taking a deer with it.  If not, well that's bowhunting.  I am so very pleased with the product that I received from Rich Emery it is hard for me to put into words.  I know there a a lot of high quality bowyers out there that sell great equipment, but I would highly recommend that if you are in the market for a new custom longbow or recurve that you give Rich a call and talk with him.  He has a Facebook Page which you can easily find using his name or Stikbows.  You will be hard pressed to find a person that is more honest, straight forward, customer oriented, and just plain genuine than Rich.  Give him a try and feel free to ask me any questions you would like about my bow or experience with Rich Emery.  I have yet to shoot my new bow threw the chrono, but will do so very soon and would be happy to share the results with anyone interested.  I hope that I have not over stepped my bounds with this post.  I am relatively new to tradgang.  I did not intend this to be a commercial for Stikbows, but just wanted people to know what a positive experience that I had with Rich.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stikbows
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 08:17:00 PM »
Awesome!  Welcome aboard TG!
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 08:19:00 PM »
My first custom bow was a Stik from Mr. Dow. I'm glad to hear they are still being made. Good luck with it this season if you get out.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 08:46:00 PM »
Rich has a Facebook page with some pics and info.

I had a chance at a used 64" lefty Rich recently built via Fleabay and I kick myself for not jumping on it, it looked very well made and looked like a shooter.

Welcome aboard!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 08:55:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing fellow hoosier
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 09:02:00 PM »
Bill glad to see you off the training wheels.  We should try to get together and shoot sometime.  Good luck with the hunting. The place ain't been the same without you. Nate

Offline Scott Barr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 09:04:00 PM »
Heck no.  No such thing as "overstepping" when you are talking about a fellow trad archer, and especially a bowyer.  I love them all. Each is different.  But rarely have I found a bowyer that I did not enjoy talking to and learning from.  That is what Tradgang is all about!  Thanks for sharing.

Offline ichibuns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 03:52:00 AM »
Have two of rich stikbows shoots smooth no hand shock and quiet    :thumbsup:    :shaka:

Offline kiamichi kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 07:05:00 PM »
I love mine. I shoot his 62" longbow, 47# @28".It's taken 3 deer and a coyote this season. Super smooth and throws a heavy arrow well.
For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. Phil. 1:21

Offline kiamichi kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 07:11:00 PM »
I love mine. I shoot his 62" longbow, 47# @28".It's taken 3 deer and a coyote this season. Super smooth and throws a heavy arrow well.
For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. Phil. 1:21

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 07:17:00 PM »
My first trad bow was a stik made by Don back in 2009.  I bought it 2nd hand and didn't have it long.  I went through a couple more bows between then and early 2013 - but finally decided to order another stik from Don.

I received it in March of 2013 and have loved it ever since.

It's 54" and 50# @ 28".  I took my first harvest with it and its a joy to shoot.  I would like to try a recurve made by Rich.

>>>--------->

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »
Welcome from Kentucky!

Glad you like your new bow and good luck with it.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 07:46:00 PM »
Great story and welcome fellow Hoosier!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©