3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: To checker or not?  (Read 508 times)

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
To checker or not?
« on: November 15, 2014, 08:09:00 PM »
I've been contemplating sending off a bow to Dave Windauer to have the grip checkered. I adore the bow the way it is and think the checkering may take it to that next level. Anybody ever had it done and then regretted it?

Offline Rusty Izatt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: To checker or not?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 08:45:00 PM »
I had Dave do the grip on my Blacktail and love it, no regrets here. Keeps your hand from slipping when sweating when its hot out and even when its cold and you have gloves on you get no slippage.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 08:49:00 PM »
I've owned two Schafers so far that had the checkered grip.  He does it flawlessly and its very nice for traction.  The most recent was the double carbon Tip I reviewed which was around 65# at my DL and it didnt bother my hand at all.  As an alternative consider Jim Neaves small stippling.  Also feels very nice.

That being said, if you adore the bow as-is, why change it? LOL.  I don't think you'll regret it, just trying to help make an informed decision.  Have you considered doing a beavertail grip instead?  Big Jim could hook you up with one.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 08:58:00 PM »
I've got a beaver tail (done a bunch), didn't like Jim's stippling, but have liked the checkered silvertips I've tried. You might be right, probably should just leave this new one alone.

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 09:56:00 PM »
I just purchased a used rer with Dave's checkering. Made all the difference for me...love it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 11:04:00 PM »
For looks it's great... I love it. But i don't like the feel of it biting into my hand at full draw at all....

btw... if your bow is slipping around from a sweaty hand, you aren't holding the dad burn thing right.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 07:51:00 AM »
I definitely like checkering and believe it is just one more advantage for me.
 If it didn't cost so much I'd have every one of my bows done. But it is an art form, so its got a price to match. If you have never seen anyone do it, you need to check it out.
David M. Conroy

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 10:28:00 AM »
Checkering is worth it. I like it better than stippling, and you will get used to it. Dave does a great job, as do some others.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline Scott Barr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 10:45:00 AM »
Last month attended a two day clinic with Rod Jenkins.  He advises against checkering, or in my case, Morrison pine cones.  Hand should go naturally into the repeatable place when drawing into hand.  Checkering will get in the way of this.  Just saying...Everyine has their own preferences.  But I sure learned a lot from Rod.  Scott

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 10:48:00 AM »
With checkering I've found that I can use any material glove and still have consistency. Without, cotton or wool gloves don't stick to the grip the same as my bare hand or with leather.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 10:49:00 AM »
If you get checkering I would get it for the sides of the grip for looks and leave the throat alone. Traction is counter productive to accurate shooting because it doesn't allow the bow to slide into a natural pressure point.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 10:50:00 AM »
Id say its a must, not that its a must have but a must see!  

I have more guns than I dare count, some of them are fine guns and not one has checkering to compare to Daves work.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 12:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by bigbadjon:
If you get checkering I would get it for the sides of the grip for looks and leave the throat alone. Traction is counter productive to accurate shooting because it doesn't allow the bow to slide into a natural pressure point.
This is the perfect solution. best of both worlds...

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 12:32:00 PM »
I think Manitoba stickflinger nailed it, I see the most advantage with gloves on.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 01:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Biathlonman:
I think Manitoba stickflinger nailed it, I see the most advantage with gloves on.
I agree.
David M. Conroy

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2014, 01:53:00 PM »
Izzy,
That riser looks like it was made by Holland and Holland. Beautiful!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2014, 02:05:00 PM »
If it's a bow you already have and the grip fits you well it's a bonus. Some detractors say they don't like the way it "bites" into your hand. If it's biting into your hand it's not because of the checkering, it's a result of a grip that isn't just right for you. A quality checker job on the right grip only makes it better. JMHO.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2014, 02:21:00 PM »
Yellow dog x 2
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2014, 02:39:00 PM »
I never checkered my grips until I got a shop bow from Wes Wallace that had checkering.  He highly recommended it, although I never had chosen to have him do it on any of the other bows I ordered from him, basically because of what has been said about grips and accuracy above.  However, I like it, and have him do this on all of my bows now.  He checkers the palm swell, but not the throat area, which seems ideal to me.  It really pays off when using cotton gloves, which tend to make the grip slip around in the hand.  I don't have a problem with the checkering biting into my hand at all.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2014, 02:46:00 PM »
I had Dave checker a RER I had. I really liked it. He does a great job.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©