3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: switch to wood arrows  (Read 324 times)

Offline mh2324

• Trad Bowhunter
switch to wood arrows
« on: November 15, 2014, 08:43:00 PM »
Just wondering if any of you out there could give me a quick overview on how I should go about selecting wood arrows as far as spine, diameter, wood type, etc. I have been shooting Trad Only carbons with either VPA or Steel Force 200-225g broadheads. I understand the process of bare shaft tuning carbons and the spine labeling for them, but it appears wood shafts are labeled on a completely different system (45-50, 55-65, etc). Is this referencing bow poundage or something else? Also, when tuning carbons it was easy to try different tip weights to tweak things, but how can this be done with wood as they need to be glued on? Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I'd like to make the switch and just looking for an overview on the selection/tuning process. Thanks!

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: switch to wood arrows
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 09:06:00 PM »
What spine tunes now?  Should be able to pick woods by that. If you have a lighter you can changed points on wood.

Offline mh2324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 09:09:00 PM »
I shoot 500 spine Trad Only arrows cut to 29.5" with 225g tips. Just wondering how conversion works as far as what would be equivelant to this setup in woods and the process used to determine this for the future. Totally new to me. Thanks again.

Offline ed cowden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 09:12:00 PM »
If You are not experienced with making wood arrows and are just wanting to try them. The first step I would guess I would take is to find someone in your area that makes them and talk to them. I you are within driving distance take your bow and make arrangements to visit. There is an art to making arrows that shoot and it is just not getting some shafts and putting feathers on them.
    I have been shooting for over 50 years and have made arrows for more than 30 years. I still do not think I could make a dozen of matched quality wood arrows. And I have made dozens of wood arrows also, but not advanced high quality.
    Aluminum and carbon are a different story. But I still buy my wood arrows and wait the mouths it takes to get them made. So look at the sponsor's sighs and see if one is close enough to visit. You will enjoy and will trust the arrows you are getting that will be made for you and your bow. You know arrows are more important than the bow. Everyone worries about finding the perfect bow when they should be looking at finding prefect matched arrows for their bow.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »
Plug in your current arrow specs into the 3 rivers calculator and it should get you real close.

Offline ed cowden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 09:34:00 PM »
Forgot to say that there is something special about making and shooting you own arrows. And you can create an arrow that looks all your own. That's where the art and love come in. I just wished I had the ability and patience to sort, weigh and straighten wood arrows. The people that really make good arrows know who has the best shafting materials and buy 100's and sort them into matched dozens. If you love it then you could do it , but I have to admit I don't know how to straighten and arrow and would rather buy them.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 09:54:00 PM »
Post your bow, draw weight, depth of shelf cut, arrow length and desired point weight and we will be able to come pretty close on spine.  From there I recommend getting some test arrows around that spine and paper tune to see what spine shoots perfectly, then order your arrows.

I tune woods differently than most guys tune alum and esp carbons.  Wood is available in a full range of spines and weights, so I pick the arrow length and point weight I want and then pick the shaft spine that works with that.  Feel free to PM or email if you want more info.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline mh2324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 11:02:00 PM »
I really appreciate everyone's input and help. That's what makes this place so great. My bow is a Northern Mist Baraga. It's 57# at 28", but my draw is currently about 26". I'm not sure exactly about the depth of shelf cut. My arrow length is currently 29.5" (a bit longer than necessary I know) and I'd like to keep the point weight around 200 if possible, erring higher rather than lower if need be. Thanks so much again.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 12:01:00 AM »
As a general rule I select arrows spined 10# more than bow weight for 160 grain BH.  My arrows are tapered, so that makes a bit of difference.    :thumbsup:    :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 02:23:00 AM »
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©