3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Good Start to Vacation  (Read 1857 times)

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
A Good Start to Vacation
« on: November 15, 2014, 11:35:00 PM »
Vacation...it is what I dream about. No palm trees or cool drinks in the shade, but a week off to hunt whitetails around home. I pine for it every year and most years I get at least a 4 or 5 day stretch to get after rutted up midwest bucks.

So, finishing up my week at work was torturous. Getting reports from my buddy Dave was tough as he was doing some major sits and seeing some bucks on their feet. All I could do was keep my head down and check the Weather Channel hourly.

Finally Friday hit and it was on. I had a couple of farms with permission granted and my own modest spread. The sign had picked up in the form of big rubs, aggressive ones in travel corridors. I personally believe this is a great sign that their levels are up and can be bartered with if you say the right things.

*Agression
Mike Davenport

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Good Start to Vacation
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 12:01:00 AM »
This is going to be good..
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 12:21:00 AM »
:campfire:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 12:32:00 AM »
This isn't just a post is it? What happened?

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 12:40:00 AM »
Keep after 'em Mike!

Nisch

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 02:50:00 AM »
I'm in , good luck brother...

,,,Sam,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 06:03:00 AM »
So Friday afternoon I get to the woods...work troubles behind. I do a hang and sit in a tree that is such a solid producer during November it gets a name of "The Oak Flat". I have killed a couple of P&Y bucks out of it as well as a few does for the freezer in the late season. My Lone Wolf was up and I was in the saddle by 2:00.

At 4 pm I hear raking and know it is the unmistakable sound of a buck taking out his frustrations on the world. This set is a NW wind set and he was upwind and apparently darn close. I couldn't have thought up a better situation than a buck upwind, by himself and frustrated. This time of year, when I think there is major breeding and tending, I hug as close as I can to bedding cover and doe family groups. I don't hunt scrapes, although a hot scrape as the breeding is dying down can be magic and other than rubs telling me testosterone levels are way up, I ignore them. Bedding, does, Mid-November...always. Sorta.

So back to our buck: he is rubbing and I hear him pawing leaves for a scrape somewhere in there. It's on. After a few minutes of me peering into the abyss of thick honeysuckle I cry uncle and give him a couple of soft grunts. Nothing. Silence, except for a blue Jay that tells me something is there. Finally I see a rack then a body...yeah, he'll do. Standing at 50 yards or so across the creek I see his body language and it is indifferent. He scratches his ear, looks my way, starts to cross the creek then changes his mind. He is frozen for 10 minutes and I am going mad.
Mike Davenport

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 06:12:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:     :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 06:21:00 AM »
The buck was a great deer that I did not know, and while he is torturing me I thought about that a bit. I have trail cameras going year round on this place and others. My buddy Sheltoncreeker does a far better job of that than me and has an encyclopedic knowledge of the bucks we have between his farm, my farm, and the farms we have permission to hunt. He shares that information with me like a brother would, and I couldn't remember this buck. Wide and tall, standing there with a double throat patch as an added delight not coming and not going. Clever.

With my bow in hand, feet set and wind in my face I gave him the next move. Almost on cue he loses interest and starts to walk away. Almost out of site I snort wheeze and he stops and turns around. This is it...until a quick wind change. I feel it and can't believe it. From my face to my neck in a quick blast and just like that he bolts for safer seas, leaving me cursing the wind and the luck. I text Dave and tell him. "Sucks man." Yep, sucks indeed.

The rest of the night I felt the NW wind never waver and I told myself it wasn't meant to be. I apologized to the wind and to God for losing it with both of them, and thought about tomorrow. Total change in wind direction. East winds. Yuk. We have predominant NW winds,in November, especially with a cold front. All of my ladder and lone wolf hooks are set for either straight south, straight west or NW winds. I rarely figure in East it is so rare. I'd better start thinking about that. Oh well, tomorrow is another day...

No it wasn't. It wasn't any other day as I sit and type this, and it wasn't when I planned the hunt as I laid down to sleep. I didn't know it then but a wind change would force me to think outside the box a little, get after it some, and realize a dream along the way    :campfire:
Mike Davenport

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 06:25:00 AM »
A Master Storyteller at work.   :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 07:03:00 AM »
Agreed Joe.....looking forward to each post!

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 07:17:00 AM »
Bring it home Mike D!

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 07:39:00 AM »
Up early with more than a few things on my mind, I consulted the great oracle that is the hourly wind directions from the Weather Channel. That site should be outlawed. It's addiction for the bowhunter is like a stimulant. Still East, but starting out SouthEast. I had one set that fit it and I had a guest here to think about. One of my oldest friends and mentors, an ER doc 25 years my senior (like saying that) and all around good guy trusts me to put him on whitetails here and I trust him on his home turf of Kentucky. We swap hunts, swap lies and partake in a little brown libation when we succeed as a ritual. My friend Mike and another Jack Paluh spend 5 days with me every fall. This fall Jack tore his biceps tendon a week before our time together, and I missed him a great deal. So this am it was Mikes stand and I knew it was a good place. He hunts with an alternate weapon and other than saying it was the right call as he found success, I'll leave it there.

I myself had a spot in mind, but it was iffy. I'd have to either hunt from a stand I'd have to hang or hunt from the ground. I know walking all the way back to the backside of the farm would be tough, potentially busting out all of my opportunities, so I elect to go for broke and ground pound it. Well, not really. I had an ambush in mind as I had been there before. Last October in this same ambush I had missed a whopper of an 8 point starting a cascade of confidence loss, a change to a lefty stance and back. It had been a long road since I last tried this spot, but the demons had been cast and I had killed a great buck on Thanksgiving last year. Having found myself since then on turkeys, a few coyotes and a doe the first day of November, It felt good to slip into the darkness with a steady Southeast wind in my face.

Arriving at the spot I turned my red headlamp on to organize my gear: Waldrop packseat down, leaning on a gum tree with a downed tree to my left as an obstacle to approaching deer so that they'd have to walk upwind from me to enter the field. I had dressed light for the walk in and had brought the Heater Body Suit. This was an all-day sit and I wanted no excuses. Heck I purposely ate light the night before and had no coffee this am so I wouldn't need to see a man about a horse  :)  

Honeysuckle around me as a back drop, I could look to the field edge, back down into a thicket of native grass and to my left a bottom of thick saplings. A pond nearby as a potential draw and the not so perfect wind to help. I like "almost wrong" winds when hunting on the ground. I believe it was Uncle Barry in his book "Once Upon a Tine" that said he'd rather hunt an almost wrong wind as a right wind because of the confidence it gives a buck traveling. For me on the ground I like almost wrong with some type of obstacle: a creek, a downed tree, a pond bank, etc giving me something else for them to have to walk around to stay out of my wind but remain confident, especially if I am trying to call them to me.

I zipped up my Ghilli and put my facemask on then zipped up the body suit. It reminds me of the jackets you see in pro football that covers pads when it is cold. The Frozen Tundra...no, this is So. Illinois and although a chilly 22 degrees it was overkill. I still stayed in it though. Pretty dang toasty!
Mike Davenport

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 07:47:00 AM »
Enjoying the read!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 08:04:00 AM »
:campfire:
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2014, 08:19:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline MR BILL SHORTY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2014, 08:32:00 AM »
:coffee:

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2014, 08:33:00 AM »
So at first light I hear running from the east. It is too dark to even think about shooting so I set up to look. It's coming right for me on a dead run. Holy crap it's going to run into me here in this seat! I come out of the pillow of warmth, sit forward and actually wave my arms to get from being blindsided by a rutted up middle-linebacker. I snicker out loud when a large coyote puts on the breaks at 8 feet with a look on it's face that it has screwed up royally! It bounds off after a half-hearted "wuff". My heart rate returns to normal and I zip back up. Guess my setup is good...now if a buck would work that well.

At 7:00 a doe and a rag horn come through: she annoyed and he aroused. A steady stream of grunts as they neared right to the end of the log at 12 yards and into the field. No attention to me as I sat with bow in hand and ready. It was a test I was glad to pass. It's working!

At 7:20 I get a text from Mike, success on a buck both Dave and I knew well. Bittersweet. That's honest and real. Proud for him but know that Sheltoncreeker and I both hunted that deer hard. Meant to be...
Mike Davenport

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2014, 08:39:00 AM »
At 7:45 I am glassing the thicket to the north and BAM there he is! Whipping a tree, tearing into a nearby scrape then nose on the ground walking my way. He is nice, a heavy beamed older 8 point. I KNOW this deer...he and I have been here before. Same deer from last year: an arrow over his back, me asking why, him having another year to get bigger, me having another year to get my feces coagulated. It's on! This is going to happen...
Mike Davenport

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2014, 08:53:00 AM »
:coffee:
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©