3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Good Start to Vacation  (Read 1861 times)

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Good Start to Vacation
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2014, 08:53:00 AM »
Come on bro, sure would like to get him on the ground before Sunday school!    :dunno:

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2014, 08:55:00 AM »
"me having another year to get my feces coagulated."

Thats some good stuff right there! Why am I always sipping coffee when I read these things?

Go on...loving this!

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2014, 08:58:00 AM »
At about the time he was to choose his path I noticed that glazed eye look and realized he was on a doe and not the one that came past me. At 100 yards or so he starts to veer. I grunted at him and as a last ditch effort I tried a little rattling sequence. He treated me like I wasn't there and kept on his course at 50 yards.

Dejected. That's the word here. Almost in horse shoes again. Well it was the rut and I had this here sleeping bag, some water, and a couple of Snickers. It is the rut and I'll be here all week...I wouldn't have to wait long    :campfire:
Mike Davenport

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2014, 09:18:00 AM »
At 8:00 I look into the field and see two younger bucks get after it. The noise they make is unreal! Crack!!!! Sounds like someone hitting ice with a sledgehammer. Who needs my horns? These guys are doing it for me. I dared not fish my phone out to take some pics as they were 50 yards to the east.

Just haphazardly when there was a break in the action from their sparring I glassed into the thicket and watched one of the coolest things ever: A giant whitetail buck work an overhead branch and freshening a scrape that I had forgotten was there. I didn't know what to do. Like most times I probably did a little much. I grunted once, just loud enough to hear. This got him locked on me hard. From 100 yards out he stared a hole in me. Wrong move. The lesson from yesterday didn't pay off. Abraham Lincoln said "it is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and erase all doubt." I am a fool...

Except on cue my buddies in the field cracked horns, just once but enough to distract my friend and send him on a different vector. Away from me but close enough for me. At 50 yards the 6 point wheezed at his friend. He was closer to me and thus my giant friend worked a little closer.

I eased out of my sleeping bag and sat forward in the Waldrop with my bow in my hand. He closed the distance to 25 with some junk in the way. He changed directions again and started walking away. This time I did the right thing and gave him a quick wheeze directed behind me past the gum tree in hopes he would come past me. It worked well...too well.

He gets to the end of the blowdown at 12 yards and I am seeing my shot develop. Right into the field broadside. Nope he turns and walks right at me. 10 yards, 8 yards...
Mike Davenport

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2014, 09:18:00 AM »
Mike,
  Great story telling..!..Can't wait for round two!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2014, 09:20:00 AM »
It sounds like it's going to be a GREAT week!
Thanks for taking us along.    :campfire:
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline stiknstringer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2014, 09:23:00 AM »
:pray:

Online Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2014, 09:23:00 AM »
:pray:

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2014, 09:33:00 AM »
Ahh man this is Great ....  :campfire:
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
So at 8 yards I decide a frontal is all I have. I'll be honest, I hate this shot but at that range I would have taken it if I could have gotten drawn. Luckily he bailed me out and just turned to the left as I was drawing. I remember telling myself "full draw" as in tight moments I tend to shorten up a bit. I have amnesia in regards to anchor or release but I remember the fletching disappearing tight behind the shoulder!

In a flash he is bolting downhill plowing over saplings and honeysuckle alike. The last 20 that I saw him as he was plowing the earth with his nose. I couldn't believe that just happened!!!
Mike Davenport

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2014, 10:26:00 AM »
:campfire:
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2014, 10:36:00 AM »
I waited for a bit to take up the trail even though I heard his last cough and a crash. I didn't do a thing for a few minutes but just sit there and shake. I prayed and thanked God for the opportunity to hunt these wonderful critters. I gathered my gear for a few minutes more to stall than anything. Just as I did the two scrappers came over to investigate the ruckus. I eased back down into my chair and just enjoyed these two middleweights circle each other and posture. Pretty cool!

I ease to the impact site at a whopping 8 yards from my seat and find the first evidence:

*Frontside shoulder snapped it

I eased the way he came with my gear on my back and panicked a little. I walked a little circle and found a scuff mark. Right beside it was some little fingers pointing the way:

*Pointers

After awhile the blood picks up. It turns into a Stevie Wonder...I could have felt my way through this one. At about 50 yards I find this, and the blood starts pouring. Frothy, heavy, oxygenated foam.

*Fronthalf Meathead

I knew it wouldn't be long now. I took my time to savor this a bit. How many tough trails have I had. Just this year tracking Sheltoncreekers Big Buck, my friend Donnie's and even my coyotes have been a chore. Not this one, not today. Today we are walking a crimson road, a thing of pure beauty.
Mike Davenport

Offline redbeard126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2014, 10:37:00 AM »
YESSS! Great story!

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2014, 10:44:00 AM »
Awesome story brother....cant wait for the pics!!
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2014, 10:52:00 AM »
I neared a small creek and could tell by the sign he crossed it. Looking like maybe he was losing it some as he tried to climb the bank and a wad of froth now frozen to a root shown up from the ground. I peeked over the bank to see him laying there, quite still. I watched for a few seconds then looked to the heavens. I always get emotional like this and for a brief few seconds I just let the heavens know how thankful I was. No shame in that, ever.

I climbed out and became the first human to touch this deer. I thanked him and let him know he is feeding my family. I again took a few minutes to let it soak in. I took an in situ pic and sent it to Dave. "I did it man!" Can you believe it? I put my leg tag on him and just left him. I wanted my wife there and started walking home. I left the kids at home and got to soak it up some with the apple of my eye. She sees how hard this is, appreciates my effort and loves deer meat. Wait until she sees this...more meat than you can can in a day   :)  

*In situ
Mike Davenport

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2014, 11:01:00 AM »
WOW! So pumped for you Mike.. you deserve everything you're blessed with!! Thanks for taking us along..

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2014, 11:02:00 AM »
What a great story, Mike! He's a massive buck...at least in my neck of the woods! Congratulations!

Kenny     :thumbsup:    :clapper:    :clapper:
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Online Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2014, 11:17:00 AM »
Wow, well done Mike!    :clapper:

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2014, 11:18:00 AM »
Congrats again my friend! One day I'll make it out to hunt with you,  if only to hear your story telling.  Well done on all accounts!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2014, 11:23:00 AM »
Field dressing chores with my wife's help and a drag to where I could get him into the Ranger that she fetched for us. I took some time for a little ritual and washed my hands in the creek.

*Handy

We got him back home for the kids to see and took some photos. I donned my Ghilli for the camera as I wanted to remember this...yeah, like I'd forget  :)  

Here are a few other photos. He is my second best buck ever, a 6 by 6 with a kicker, and the best bow buck of my life. He will adorn a spot in my memory room and my 80 year old great-uncle is coming out of retirement to help me with taxidermy work. Nothing like having a total neophyte (me) and a master taxidermist with 60 years of experience to guide him  :)  It'll be his mount and me doing the fleshing work...I can't wait!

*Lucky sweater

* Ghilli

*Truck ride

So that's it! I have 5 days off and will be super selective from now on. My wife has a few honey-do's as well.

Finally, equipment. Talltines Dshaped longbow, 64", 57 pounds at 30", Trad Only 300s with a 50 grain brass insert, 190 gr Tuffhead with a 100 gr steel adapter with a total arrow weight of 677 gr. A lot of front loaded power for a passthrough on an animal that live weighs 250 or better.

Thanks for reading my tale. Time to check the wind and think about the evening sit     :campfire:
Mike Davenport

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©