3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Coffee in the deer stand?  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
Coffee in the deer stand?
« on: November 16, 2014, 03:00:00 PM »
Resurrecting an old topic I searched it but found only one.
So yesterday -6 yesterday morning. Normally below 0 I stay home but it was a high of 20 for the day. I have never taken  coffee with me before in fear of spookin deer. But I do bring sandwiches and snacks. I usually bring water or Gatorade but they freeze pretty fast. And the thought of a hot beverage when I get chilled to the bone seemed nice. Boy was it ever after two hrs. I was getting the shakes. At 8:50 I had a little cup and it warmed me up nice. 9:30 I had 3 deer walk by down wind too did not even know I was there. Pulled the thermos out 2 more times after that at 11:30 had a little buck come in. I did not have the coffe out for a while the wind had picked up from the west and he came in from the east I did coax him in with some calling So maybe the absence of a deer or he winded me.
So what's your take on coffee in the stand.
Thanks Tim.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Coffee in the deer stand?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 03:11:00 PM »
Whatever floats your boat.   :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 03:17:00 PM »
I take coffee with me sometimes. The biggest issue I have with coffee is when the rent is up and a deposit is due.

Online black velvet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 03:17:00 PM »
If they can smell you they can smell the coffee. If they can't smell you they can't smell the coffee. The direction of the wind has all the control.

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 03:20:00 PM »
I think you're over thinking the whole issue.  If you take food and other drinks that deer and other critters can certainly smell, why not coffee?  Sheesh.  

The old timers washed with Ivory soap, put on clean laundered clothes, and went out with a thermos, and packed lunch, and they killed a lot of deer.  

Far too much hype about ridiculous things these days, IMHO.  You don't need scent killers and ghillie suits and camo and all that junk.  You do need to know how to move through the woods quietly, or sit quietly if that's your choce.
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline BRIARS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 03:21:00 PM »
If it is a cold day you can bet I will have coffee. Killed a nice one a few years back, he came in while I was pouring a cup.

It helps keep me warm and alert on stand.

Offline w8n4rut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 03:30:00 PM »
I would say yes if it keeps you in the stand longer. I do sometimes on cold days...I also make sure I bring a bigger pee bottle  :)

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 03:32:00 PM »
I often take coffee with me not even when it's cold, do you really think deer can tell what coffee is think about it.     :dunno:  

It has never hurt my hunting in anyway!  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline HuronArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »
More than once, I've had coffee in hand when deer roll in.  First time I said, "Dang I should have shot that buck!"     :rolleyes:

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 03:40:00 PM »
Anybody remember Fred Trost pouring out his own urine in front of the stand?
homebru

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 04:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by w8n4rut:
I would say yes if it keeps you in the stand longer. I do sometimes on cold days...I also make sure I bring a bigger pee bottle    :)  
I'm thinking il be bringing it. It does keep,in the stand longer As far as the pee bottle goes I always use to bring one but I may not worry about that I just read 15 pages on here about just letting it fly and the consences was pee does not spook deer.

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 04:16:00 PM »
Well then on one of those real hot days: is Beer OK? LOL

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 04:16:00 PM »
I'm not a coffee drinker, but do take hot chocolate!  LOL...I always hunt the wind.  So it has little effect.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Riverrat43

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 05:39:00 PM »
If you hunt the wind, I think the movement of pouring and drinking gives a lot more exposure than the smell of coffee. I take it with me most all then time.
Ask the American Indian what uncontrolled immigration did to his land and way of life.

Offline ARCHER2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 06:00:00 PM »
As long as it's Folgers they don't mind. Lol....
I've done it lots of times and seen deer. It depends on the wind. I also do not take a pee bottle with me. I've been drinking lots of coffee for years, and the result of that, lots of peeing. I've actually urinated in scrapes just to see what they would do. They kept right on scraping as if nothing happened. Just my take on it, as was stated, each to his own!
Charlie   :)
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength:they shall mount up with wings as eagles:they shall run and not be weary:and they shall walk and not faint......Isaiah 40;31

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2014, 06:35:00 PM »
I take coffee and never noticed a problem as I believe that if they are scenting the coffee, they are scenting you as well.  The first buck I ever harvested with a bow was taken after I sat both coffee and cigar on the seat of the treestand.
I don't ever worry about urinating from the stand either.  I have had deer actually come in and sniff the shrub where it hit.  Earlier this year I had a little buck come in and bed down 30 yards away for 2 1/2 hours.  I couldn't hold it any longer and had to go.  He never even looked over.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2014, 06:45:00 PM »
Deer are very curious animals.  I have attracted a half dozen at a time by running a chainsaw with a gas oil mix combined with fat guy perspiration.

I once fell asleep against a log, woke up and a half dozen deer were within 10 yards and staring at me.  They were down wind and could easily smell me. I called them in with my snoring.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2014, 06:58:00 PM »
I would if I were using a pop-up. I do it when I'm turkey hunting. Being inside a blind offers the ability to move a little more. For me, it would be nothing but a hassle in a tree stand.

Offline BRIARS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
I put my thermos in a pack and hand it out of the way above my stand but within easy reach.

As for the urinating out of the tree I have had two experiences this year that indicated it is not a bad thing. First I had a nice 8 pt walk within 2 steps of where I had pissed out of my stand but he got a pass. He was never alerted. The other incident was as soon as I finish I used my doe in heat can call. I always call after. Within seconds of putting it in my pocket I hear a deer walking. A very good 8 pt walks out and works a scrape. I believe he heard the noise and responded. This is not the first time for this to happen to me. I have also read about guys pouring water out to create the same illusion.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2014, 07:19:00 PM »
I only ever took food to a treestand one time, and that was an apple. It's a hunt, not a picnic.

I might take a quick sip from a water bottle but pouring a cup of coffee just seems like a lot of commotion and potential ruination of the hunt.

Now and all day sit might require a quiet lunch. That's different.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©