3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Coffee in the deer stand?  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Coffee in the deer stand?
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2014, 09:12:00 PM »
It was really super cold (still is) here in central TX the other day when I was hunting. Not long ago I spent the money and bought one of those 20 oz metal yeti insulated cups...

Took my coffee to the tripod stand and 3 hours later it was still hot.....the outside of the cup was damn cold but the coffee stayed hot till it was gone....

I know, they're expensive...but worth every penny...if you're a guy like me who takes coffee everywhere.

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2014, 07:44:00 AM »
I always take coffee out.  Did not know you could hunt without it/Hot chocolate/Tea etc.
Inquiring minds.......

Offline double eagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2014, 08:04:00 AM »
I had my biggest buck come in while my wife and I were in a popup blind during gun season.  She had been drinking coffee with hazelnut creamer.  Smelled good and just like the Wildlife Research Center's Acorn scent.  Not sure if it was related, but sure was a nice coverup scent.  There was no way I was going to tell her now to having coffee in 20 degree weather at 6am.  I think the buck needed his morning coffee too.  Since that day, I always encourage her to take coffee with the hazelnut creamer.

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2014, 08:44:00 AM »
I pulled my thermos out as soon as I got in the stand Sunday morning, finished a cup and 10 minutes later, shot a young buck that chased a doe through my set. If it's cold, I'll be taking mine to the stand.  :)
Shoot Straight..
Rory

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2014, 09:25:00 AM »
My thermos has a handle on it and I hang it on a bow holder hook on the tree.  I position it down low on the right side so that I can open and pour without removing it from the hook.  I hold the cup under the spout and with the heel of my hand I push down on the thermos tilting it until it pours into the cup.  I also have a piece of velcro on the bottom of the cup and a corresponding piece on the rail of the tree stand.  That way I can set my cup on the rail and it will not fall off if I bump it.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2014, 10:54:00 AM »
This is my hunting thermos.  

http://www.shopbubba.com/shop-all/bottles/bubba-20-oz-hero-bottle-fresh-gunmetal-gray/

20oz and doesn't require pouring into a cup.  Small enough to fit in my pouch but large enough to satisfy my coffee needs for a full morning hunt.  Typically I have well over half remaining for the walk out of the woods and the drive home.  Coffee stays hot for a few hours and warm for up to 8hrs.  It's very nice.
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2014, 11:11:00 AM »
I call it my patented 'Exotic Plant Extract' deer attractant.   nearly every deer I have killed has been during or immediately after having a thermos lid of coffee.   I've actually had to put the cup down on the seat of my treestand to get my bow before.  lol

also do not worry about peeing out of the stand.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2014, 11:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by Wheels2:
My thermos has a handle on it and I hang it on a bow holder hook on the tree.  I position it down low on the right side so that I can open and pour without removing it from the hook.  I hold the cup under the spout and with the heel of my hand I push down on the thermos tilting it until it pours into the cup.  I also have a piece of velcro on the bottom of the cup and a corresponding piece on the rail of the tree stand.  That way I can set my cup on the rail and it will not fall off if I bump it.
:laughing:    :laughing:   For some reason, this detailed description made me laugh out loud!  Wheels2... you have thought this through brother!  I'm impressed.   Seriously, where there is a will there is a way... and there is a will for COFFEE!
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2014, 02:55:00 PM »
Coffee food water etc. all make me sit longer and enjoy the hunt more. A little common sense and hunt with the wind and you should have no problems

Offline The Ole' Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2014, 05:18:00 PM »
I am a tea drinker however one day i forgot to bring some tea bags so I just drank plain hot water.  Not only did the hot water warm my insides, it was actually good.  Sure, it did not have a flavor however it hydrated me as well as kept me on stand much longer than if I did not have it...plus, it does not give off an order.
Try it, you just might like it.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2014, 07:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by double eagle:
I had my biggest buck come in while my wife and I were in a popup blind during gun season.  She had been drinking coffee with hazelnut creamer.  Smelled good and just like the Wildlife Research Center's Acorn scent.  Not sure if it was related, but sure was a nice coverup scent.  There was no way I was going to tell her now to having coffee in 20 degree weather at 6am.  I think the buck needed his morning coffee too.  Since that day, I always encourage her to take coffee with the hazelnut creamer.
Gee,
I usually like,it just black but the hazelnut sound kinda good.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2014, 07:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by The Ole' Bowhunter:
I am a tea drinker however one day i forgot to bring some tea bags so I just drank plain hot water.  Not only did the hot water warm my insides, it was actually good.  Sure, it did not have a flavor however it hydrated me as well as kept me on stand much longer than if I did not have it...plus, it does not give off an order.
Try it, you just might like it.
I did think of trying it I think I would add a little lemon and honey. But you are right it would warm ya up and hydrate you too.

Offline FlyGuy758

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2014, 10:15:00 PM »
I take coffee into the stand nearly every morning through the winter months.  I dont believe it has ever hurt my chances. I was able to take a nice 8 pt this year at 15yds and had to put my coffee down to make the shot. Plus a good cup of joe really makes those cold mornings a little nicer.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2014, 10:24:00 PM »
I am very suprised by the number of stand coffee drinkers. It's not something I ever imagined a bowhunter would do.

I guess I learned something today.  :)
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2014, 04:24:00 AM »
After reading this thread, I think I'll start bringing some along...   :coffee:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2014, 08:09:00 AM »
At -6 I would recommend enjoying your coffee in the house.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2014, 12:23:00 PM »
I wouldn't worry about coffee; if deer can smell it, they can smell you, so it's academic.  You think they can't smell the sandwiches and other snacks, but the coffee is the deal-breaker?
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2014, 12:30:00 PM »
I just got home from town where I bought a smaller Thermos!  I'm going to have to give this a try, especially with the blast of cold air that we're all experiencing.  

Bernie

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2014, 02:20:00 PM »
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2014, 07:16:00 PM »
You guys got me wound up on taking coffee to the stand so I decided to give it a try this morning. Good thing I did because when I got to my gate at 5 am the lock was frozen, 18 degrees and windy,couldn't even get the key in. Poured some hot java on it and presto, I was in!
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©