3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: grizzly or super grizzly?  (Read 1193 times)

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
grizzly or super grizzly?
« on: November 16, 2014, 09:09:00 PM »
Hello all! I am! Currently saving my money up for a new bow (taking some time working 3 jobs as a cop and having a little one makes it slow going) and I have decided I want a bear grizzly. I love the way they feel. I am looking at new for the warranty and I would like to be part of the sales that keeps bear selling/making these great bows.

My question is....is the super grizzly with FF compatibility worth the extra $110? Thanks in advance!
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline bigiron

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: grizzly or super grizzly?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 09:50:00 PM »
yes it is in my opinion as the super has 2 lams plus the ff capabilities.

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 10:09:00 PM »
Yes x2

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 10:11:00 PM »
For quality of shooting? Speed? Or what?

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 10:06:00 PM »
Any others have and experience between the two?

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 10:40:00 PM »
I had a 2013 Bear Grizzly. It was very nice to look at, smooth drawing, nice bow over all. But...to me, and this is just from my experience and it's just my opinion...it seemed slow and didn't fling an arrow like all the other bows I own in that weight range. I'd go with the Super Grizzly.

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 11:49:00 PM »
Thanks shaq08 what poundage were you shooting? I really wanted to buy new but I just spoke to a guy at an antique shop who said he has several older bears including a few grizzlys he gonna bring in for me to check out. If I can't pick one up at a decent price will I be Disappointed with performance?

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 12:03:00 AM »
The one I had was 45#. I have quite a few vintage bows of various manufactures and they all "seem" faster to me than the Grizzly. I don't have a chronograph to verify this as fact.

I wouldn't hesitate to try out some vintage bows...I like them myself. I would also try another new Grizzly if the price was right...it may have just been that particular bow that was sluggish to me.

If I was buying new, I'd go with the Super Grizzly. Vintage...Red Wing Hunter lol. I haven't shot very many old Bears...never shot a vintage Grizzly. Lots of folks LOVE them. Shoot all the bows you can and buy what suits you best.

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 04:14:00 AM »
I'm hunting this year with a Grayling era (early to mid 70's) Super Grizzly I really like. I've owned older and newer Grizzly bows, all were decent shooters.

If buying new, I would spring for a Super Grizzly. Nothing wrong with vintage, providing you know what to check for.

A WTB add on the classifieds here could get you fairly new or vintage, good guys to deal with around these parts.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 07:53:00 AM »
Thanks for the response.I'm gonna check those older bows first then go new

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 05:04:00 PM »
I offer no opinion that either way is "better", but Bear sold so many Grizzly recurves over the past 50 years that with a little time on the computer you can find one in any condition, any weight, but the most highly-sought "vintage" Grizzly, e.g, a 65-67 zebrawood, 55#, in like-new condition, wont cost nearly as much a basic Grizzly new in 2014. Thus, you can readily find and buy a 65-98 Grizzly for under $125, sometimes far under, that meets your specs. I've owned one for 44 years and shot a handful: they are nice in hand, you can carry one all day long, they work very well in a ground blind or a tree stand , shoot where you aim and put an arrow through a deer just like a new one. Given the ready and stable market for old Grizzlies , you can buy, sell and trade a dozen bows, even play the filed and pick up a Kodiak Hunter, a Tigercat or a KMag,  until you find the one that sings your song, never losing more than a few bucks in the transaction,  whereas a new one is going to be yours, and maybe your only bow, for a long time, so you gotta hope its the "one".
 I got my first vintage Red Wing Hunter recently and I wish I hadn't waited so long.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 07:23:00 PM »
I have a bear grizzly a couple,years later they came out with the super.
Yes I would save a little more and get the super grizzly.

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 08:02:00 PM »
I own  three grizzlies, all are from the early to mid 70s. My very first recurve I bought is the Super grizz it is 55lbs, I will never sell it I love this bow, it is a joy to shoot and it hits where I look, the second grizz is one of the green and black ones, it is 52lbs and I am currently playing around with a SBD skinny string on it. My third grizz is the black and yellowish ones, it is 60lbs, and is dialed with a SBD skinny string. I shoot carbon arrows out of all my bows and I tend to shoot a little heavier bow than the masses do(45 to 50 something) they are all great shooters in my opinion I own a chronograph and have run two of the three through it, even with the weight arrows I shoot out of it you will probably never break 200fps, I feel you would enjoy a Grizzly just don't overbow yourself.
just an FYI I watch the big auction site daily  and grizzlies are starting to get expensive in my opinion you can expect to pay anywhere from $125 to $240 for a great bow. Forgot to mention the green/black bow I picked up on the afore mentioned auction site as a wall hanger because it had a twisted limb tip and got it for $26.

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 08:59:00 PM »
You guys have all gave me some good insite! I'll have to keep my eyes peeled while I am saving my money and maybe I'll find a vintage in good shape. I to have been checking the big auction site and noticed these older bows are selling at higher prices than I've seen before. This guy that's bringing in his bows for me to look at is a small antique shop so maybe I'll get lucky and find a good deal

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 07:26:00 AM »
There are deals to be had out there. I have picked up my favorite Grizzly for 50 bucks at an auction. its a 1968.  I have also traded to get my hands on a few others over the years.  

I've never shot the new ones so I cant compare.  My favorites are 1964-1972.  I have owned all these years grizzlies and I have loved them all.  

Grizzly was coined the working man's bow, and they work for this man.

Good luck, hope you enjoy.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline warbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2014, 09:22:00 AM »
Super Grizzly is a step up from the Grizzly but both are great bows.
A man has to have a code, a way of life to live by.
John Wayne

Offline Mississippi bow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »
How does the Grizzly handle longer draw lengths?

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2014, 07:58:00 PM »
Standard draw length is 28"s unless you draw more than 3" past that you should be fine.

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2014, 09:40:00 PM »
Hey Darron...what kind of vintage bows did the antiques dealer have to offer? You may luck up and find a jewel that doesn't have "Bear" written on it. Or maybe a model other than a Grizzly...my favorite vintage Bear I own is a 69 TigerCat(it isn't collectable or well known, but I don't have the cash to spend on 59 Kodiaks or TD's, etc). Keep us posted please.

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 01:27:00 PM »
I had a '65 griz, gift to me, new.  Sorry I sold it. Fine bow.

I think I've gotten over the need to spend more money for better bows (maybe not).  But, my least expensive bow has been my most effective.  Plus, to this day, I think it shoots slower than other bows I have.  

My changing attitude comes, in part, from watching a video of some guy demonstrating how the Native Americans shot deer with 40# self bows, self arrows, and stone bird points, probably not very efficient by our standards.  Then a friend told me not to worry about all those issues because he heard someone had killed a deer with a 15# bow.  ....  I think, probably true.  So, why worry about a few small issues with regard to, say, a 50# bow.  I don't anymore.  

So, if you like the vintage griz, get yourself one.  I really doubt you'll be disappointed.  Plus, you'll save a few bucks.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©