3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Judos, wood shafts & heavy weight blunts?  (Read 370 times)

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
Judos, wood shafts & heavy weight blunts?
« on: November 17, 2014, 12:50:00 AM »
G'day guys,

I'm planning to head back to shooting woods in the new year and I have a small issue as I like to be able to stump shoot with judos whilst hunting. I'm wanting to shoot 190 grain heads - field points and BHs- but my favourite stumping heads, that being Judos only 125 grains...

What can I do for for a good stumping head that won't get lost guys?
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Judos, wood shafts & heavy weight blunts?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 01:02:00 AM »
Ace hex blunts work pretty good for stumping. They come in 200 grain.

Offline Surewood Steve

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 03:38:00 AM »
Use a Woodie Weight and then put on a "glue on" Judo.
"If you don't shoot wood arrows out of your Trad bow it is like taking your split bamboo fly rod and fishing with worms and a bobber."

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 05:15:00 AM »
What Steve said
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 01:04:00 PM »
I use the 200 gr Ace Hex blunt, but 75 gr Woody weights would put you right there as well.  I've had very good results with point fit and alignment with the Woody Weights.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 06:13:00 PM »
I've never used the woodie weight system as of yet so I'll look into that option. One would wonder though... You have to think why Judos arnt made in heavier weights now a days?
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 08:03:00 PM »
Id say go with the 200's as well. Doubt you'd see a difference. I use the Hex's and really like them. Never beaned a small animal with one but I've been impressed with what they do to a target, both bag and block. I always carry at least one (probably 2 or 3 now that I'm trying the back quiver out) and I stump a little once I'm clear of my hunting grounds on the walks out.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 08:06:00 PM »
You may want to consider using carbons for stump shooting and woodies for hunting. That way, you can get pretty much whatever point weight you want by using internal weights.  Of my regular group of 3 shooters, two of us use carbons for our Judos, and we get hundreds of shots before the arrow needs to be replaced or repaired. The third guy uses glue on Judos on his wood arrows, and he breaks a judo off at the tip every week or so.  Usually the judo goes flying and can't be found. The two of us figure he just must like making arrows.  If I use carbon Judos of the same weight and spine as my woodies, there is no noticeable difference in my trajectory.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 10:00:00 PM »
Thanks for that McDave... It kinda makes sense somewhat to do as you said as I too in the past broke all my judo heads when stumping with woods and makes sense to have a sturdy carbon weighing the same with a judo to out last the impact of stumping.

I always stump shoot when out hunting as i feel it enables me to keep my shoulders limber and my aim true.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 10:31:00 PM »
Hey Al, I do the same as McDave. We have a lot of hard things out here. I even tried a micarta footing, but the arrow broke above the footing. I just use the same weight carbon as my woods.
p.s. still haven't forgot about the decals, it's just been a tad crazy  ;)
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline capt eddie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 10:35:00 PM »
You can take welding wire and wrap it around the inner point of the judo.  Then make it any weight that you want.
capt eddie

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 01:21:00 PM »
McDave makes a good point, and I feel I should clearify some. "Stumping" is a term I use to encompass just shooting at random targets in the woods. If useing woodies, unless you know for sure you are shooting at a punky stump or log you can shoot at things such as leaf litter, clumps of plants, etc. That will save you some woodies from an early death. Even when I did shoot carbons I didn't like to shoot at too many stumps because it can still result in a loss head/insert, cracked shaft end, etc. I know we have deviated from your original topic some what, and I apologize.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline The Ole' Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 02:27:00 PM »
I always carry binoculars with me when stump shooting or when actually hunting.  Glassing a distant object with binoculars to verify if your intended target is indeed a punky or rotting stump or log will save you a lot of broken arrows.  Also, I feel its better to stump shoot with the same arrow material that you plan on hunting with.  As far as I am concerned, port orford cedar is good for hunting as well as stump shooting.  About the only time they break is when I hit a rock or a frozen stump in winter.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©