3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Hunter TD  (Read 379 times)

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bear Hunter TD
« on: November 17, 2014, 10:53:00 PM »
I am looking for input on the Bear Hunter TD that was manufactured about 20 years ago.  

This bow has the bolt on limbs, not the latch system.  I am purchasing a bow and the serial number is:  TD695823

Anybody know what year this bow was made?

Anyone have experience with these bows?  

How do they shoot?
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Hunter TD
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 11:00:00 PM »
I think they were manufactured in the mid 80's...wouldn't swear to it though. I have one with a set of 50# and a set of 60# limbs. I use it for my bowfishing rig. There's no telling how many fish I've killed with it. I wouldn't hesitate a bit to pull the AMS off, tune some arrows for it, and go hunt big game with it. It has served me well. And I'd buy another one if I came across one and the price was right.

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 05:33:00 AM »
That was my second recurve that I ever owned.  Bought one new in '92 from Cabela's for around $250 if I remember correctly.

Mine was a 60" 65# @ 28".  It shot great!  I only sold it about 4 years ago!  I kinda wish I kept it. In my opinion, they were great beginner bows or back ups.  You can still get them for about $250.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 03:08:00 PM »
I have one of the Bear Hunter recurve's coming.  I am converting to LH shooting and just wanted to get a bow to shoot without tons of $$.  $150 shipped, thought that was more than fair.  

On Stu's Calculator, just curious, any idea which bow it would shoot the most like?  Super kodiak?
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 08:05:00 PM »
I am a Bear fan so naturally I had to have one, bought one a few years ago shot and tried to enjoy it but I personally just couldn't get used to the grip(kinda blocky) didn't shoot too bad just not for me so I sold it.

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 09:15:00 PM »
I'd say $150 is a good price. You did well. I've never had much luck with Stu's calculator. I've faired much better just picking an arrow spine for the bows given weight and playing with point weight and full length arrows first. I can usually find something that will shoot well like that. If I want more point weight I will cut the arrows til they tune.

I've never really tried to tune arrows for mine, as I bought it for bowfishing. The riser on mine has been sanded down considerably. A previous owner worked down the shelf and grip to true Fred Bear specs...the arrow sits right on top of my index finger. I wasn't aware of this when I bought it. But it makes for awesome point and shoot capabilities for fast shots at fish.

I'm kinda missing shooting the old girl now that I've been thinking about it so much. I may try to tune some arrows and finish out the late deer season with mine. If it's as deadly on deer as it is on fish, then I should fair well lol.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 10:16:00 AM »
I have shot the bow in the garage.  The bow is not set up yet.   I have a 60" super diablo that is 60", nd this bow is marked 60", but it is longer.

What kind of brace height do you use?
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 06:34:00 PM »
I try to keep mine around 8 1/4 - 8 1/2. It doesn't seem to matter much with my fishing rig set up. For proper hunting arrows I'm sure the brace height will make a difference in tuning.

I just try to keep it checked so the nock point doesn't get off. When my new string stretched to about 7" brace heigth it got VERY easy to notice. It wore my forearm out!

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 07:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by dragonheart:
I have one of the Bear Hunter recurve's coming.  I am converting to LH shooting and just wanted to get a bow to shoot without tons of $$.  $150 shipped, thought that was more than fair.  

On Stu's Calculator, just curious, any idea which bow it would shoot the most like?  Super kodiak?
Jeff, what is possessing you to switch to LH? Just wondering? I don't know anything about the bow, but don't see how you could go too wrong for $150.

Good luck with the switch!

Bisch

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 01:28:00 PM »
PM sent
Longbows & Short Shots

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©