3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who prefers to shoot sitting while on stand?  (Read 1032 times)

Online durp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who prefers to shoot sitting while on stand?
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2014, 04:08:00 PM »
bad backs are no fun...add a bad hip and knee and you dont stand or sit very long at one time so what ever position im in when a shot comes along is what i take.

Offline hogless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2014, 04:16:00 PM »
I stand when I can for a shot I position the seat on my climber a little high so it takes little movement to stand

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2014, 05:47:00 PM »
I can shoot either way but prefer to shoot sitting. To me it makes a more stable platform , consider that your rear is planted and your feet are also so the only thing to move is upper body. I will shoot sitting every chance I get but have some stands that I must stand to make some shots .
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2014, 07:25:00 PM »
I do most of the time. I'll only stand if I have to.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2014, 07:26:00 PM »
Tippit, I'm just the opposite.  Sitting for long kills my back.  I have to have a backrest, or about five minutes is the limit for me.  I think that's one reason I've been busted and seen fewer deer the last few years:  I can't sit still.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2014, 07:27:00 PM »
Standing is less profile/bulk and better mobility if you need to turn; sitting is probably more stability and comfortable. Brother Gene shoots sitting all the time. I stand more, although I do both. Like Gene's quote, "When I was young I stood until my feet hurt, then I'd sit down. Now that I'm older I sit until my butt hurts and then I stand up." Notice I said "butt"... wow.. I almost slipped and said "ass".

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2014, 07:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by Barry Wensel:
Standing is less profile/bulk and better mobility if you need to turn; sitting is probably more stability and comfortable. Brother Gene shoots sitting all the time. I stand more, although I do both. Like Gene's quote, "When I was young I stood until my feet hurt, then I'd sit down. Now that I'm older I sit until my butt hurts and then I stand up." Notice I said "butt"... wow.. I almost slipped and said "ass".
:biglaugh:  x2

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
I most often sit when shooting.  

Caleb, you talk about getting busted trying to stand.  True.  But, I got busted in a ground blind trying to spin my butt 180 degrees so I could swap my drawing shoulder for my bow arm shoulder...  

It seems to me that changing angles can be easier while standing.  So, to me, sitting is more stable and maybe less movement while standing is more veristal.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2014, 07:35:00 PM »
I've done both.

I think sitting is more steady to shot.

I have to push my bow way out past the stand for clearance reasons but it's not too tough.
Irv Eichorst

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2014, 08:10:00 PM »
I much rather shoot standing,have hunted East Texas most my life where big tall trees are the norm.Would stand during what I would call prime time and sit until I heard or saw something the rest of the time,then stand up and get ready.

I have been hunting West Tx more often now where the oaks are large and crooked as can be.I have bought a couple new stands that are made just for these type trees.Large platform with a boat type seat in the middle.So now I have been shooting way more sitting down but still prefer to stand.
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Offline doubleo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by daveycrockett:

Originally posted by Barry Wensel:
:biglaugh:   x2 [/b]
I here ya!   :laughing:
Wisconsin Traditional Archers Member

Offline BRIARS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2014, 08:23:00 PM »
Standing for me as well. I want to be able to move quickly and quietly if a deer approaches from any direction. If I am sitting I can only shoot straight in front of me or to the bow arm side. Standing I can be reactive to the deer and position myself to shoot almost 360 degrees.

If I only shot siting there is no telling how many deer I would have missed out on.

I can shoot sitting and try to position my stand so I can shoot if a deer comes through where it is "supposed" to. I do sit but only for short rest periods. I also hold my bow as much as possible. Had a buck walk right under me years ago and did not get a shot because my bow was hanging.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2014, 08:52:00 PM »
At 67, I seldom stand when shooting out of my ladder stands. I just don't feel comfortable doing it. For that matter, I shoot from a sitting position when I'm ground hunting as well. Can't remember the last time I took a standing shot at a whitetail deer and I've been hunting those critters for a long, time.   :campfire:

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2014, 09:02:00 PM »
I can only recall two times I was seated when I arrowed a deer.  One in a treestand and one on blow-down tree trunk.  The other five have been either standing on the treestand (three) or on foot still-hunting (two).  All with recurves.

I take the shot that comes along but would rather be standing.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2014, 09:21:00 PM »
I can shoot seated if the deer are in exactly the right place. Most times I have to stand so I can turn in the right direction.

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2014, 10:36:00 PM »
I also prefer to shoot sitting down out of my stands
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline Florida bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2014, 06:21:00 AM »
I shoot sitting down, I can do both but prefer sitting, less movement.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2014, 07:42:00 AM »
When I see a deer approaching from way out, My initial jerk reaction is to stand up. Of course I do so when the deer is hidden. I need to learn to be patient and see what is necessary 1st. I can shoot the same sitting or standing.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2014, 07:59:00 AM »
I don't have a preference. If I DO happen to take a sitting shot (treestnd) it's almost a guaranteed slam-jam off the front or left-front of the stand. I remember a 7 pt buck walking beneath my 12' high stand once. I wasn't shooting, so kept my butt planted. As he walked beneath me I likened the shot to hitting a 5 gallon bucket at 3 steps. I whispered to him and he basically poked his nose through his butthole getting out of harm's way.

Standing gives me way more versatility when the deer (invariably) does the wrong thing and forces me to adjust before shooting. Besides, it just seems impolite to not stand up for the animal you're about to kill and eat...!

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2014, 01:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by tippit:
With a bad back, standing still kills me.  Very rarely will I stand for a shot therefor 99% of my shots are from a seated position.
enjoyed reading the varied posts.  This one struck home hard!

I used to stand for long hours. Now I can't. I've shot a large % of my deer I've taken (not huge number like some here) sitting down.

My back demands it, so...I practice sitting shots in tree stands...I've learned and my stand (Non-typical original) has a pivot seat, so that really helps.

The country I have hunted (might be different here in TN if I ever get to hunt) was pretty thick woods, so seeing them far off and able to rise, didn't happen....they just popped up in what we swore were underground tunnels and THERE THEY WERE!

I practice form standing from the ground, but come closer to season, shoot a lot sitting at elevation and on the ground, to keep all the variables in my mind for that moment of truth!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©