3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Warm winter hunting clothing/ any suggestions!  (Read 990 times)

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Warm winter hunting clothing/ any suggestions!
« on: November 19, 2014, 07:06:00 PM »
I was wondering what success you guys have had keeping warm while long hours on stand and the best quality for the money ...I appreciate the feedback I am all ears
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Warm winter hunting clothing/ any suggestions!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 07:23:00 PM »
I've never been able to keep truly warm in really cold weather when sitting, but some form of insulated coverall has come the closest for me, with lots of layers under it, preferably wool layers.  Windblocker on the outer layer is priceless.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
I like layered wool, starting with Merino long johns in your desired thickness,then a mid layer, either fleece or more wool, then one of Asbells Anoraks with zipper finishing with a windstopper layer.

A very first layer of lightweight silk isn't a bad idea, then add the above.

I found some Wooltimate on sale at Cabelas....love it.

Use it for my outermost layer.

It has windstopper liner

Some will tell you it is noisy....it isn't.

So for me in cold, cold, cold it is silk, Minus 33 merino, fleece body suit, Wooltimate,and maybe the HBS.

Keep in mind this is for sitting still only.

Way too much clothes if you are walking.

In brutal conditions, like late season WI., you will find me in all of that plus my Heater Body Suit.
Irv Eichorst

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
For the money, I stay very warm in with the Columbia wool camo. I think that it's only 75% wool, but it keeps me plenty warm.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline sleepyhollow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 07:43:00 PM »
for really cold- cabelas stand hunter bibs and jacket, don't try to walk in them though, way to warm for that

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 07:46:00 PM »
Very good suggestions guys I appreciate it...time to update my clothes I will be buying  something soon as late season is right around the bend
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 07:46:00 PM »
Filson, period!!!

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »
Insulated bibs a must for me. Have a micro fleece turtle neck that I moved the pocket to the center and keep a large hand warmer burning all day. Got to keep the core warm. See some wool in my future though.

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 08:27:00 PM »
If you get cold, well, it's your own fault.
Some of you that know me will tell you I am cold natured. I hate being cold. I also hate being over dressed and not being able to shoot with comfort. Depending on the weather, I will wear different types of clothing. I will start with what I wore tonight for an evening hunt. It was cold on the mountain with the wind blowing slightly. It was about 25 degrees with the wind chill about 15.  I wore sitka bottoms and and old transverse shirt. Not really insulated but it feels good on my skin. I wear regular white socks, no wool, just white socks. The key is not letting your feet sweat. I wore bunny boots. I have an old set of cabelas whitetail pants I wear. Next I wore a puffy sitka gear jacket. I put a KOM wool shirt and my hunter safety vest in my pack with my heater body suit. I put a face mask and hat in my pockets and wear simple fleece gloves. I walked up the mountain to the base of my tree and put on the KOM shirt and safety vest on. I tie my bow and pack onto small lines then climb the tree. I pull up my bow then my pack. While on stand, I put my heater body suit and hang my bow in front of on a long bow holder. I was comfortable and fell asleep for a while. I watched deer under my stand and almost had a shot opputunity on a Long nose doe but a small buck walked by me at 8 yards and started to chase her in circles. Good night on stand and enjoyable because I was warm. I have other things I do if the temps get down in the single digits and I stay warm.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 08:28:00 PM »
Izzy,
Have you tried the Filson merino base layer?  I've wanted to try them for a while.

I agree with all of the above.  Avoid cotton, especially close to the skin.  I actually haven't tried wool yet as a base, mostly because it is so dern expensive.  I have used a lot of the higher end synthetics, Patagonia capilene (sp) being my favorite.  A lot of people whose opinion I value tout wool as the best base layer.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 08:45:00 PM »
John, when it gets really cold. I have a cheap polarfleece jacket that has three sewed pockets. One over each kidney and one in the center of the back. With the large body warmers in the the pockets, the sitka puffy and the heater body suit, I can stay warm when it gets brutally cold like it did last weekend.

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 08:53:00 PM »
I like to layer with my second most outer layer being a wind stopper fleece. Then I have camo full body bibs over top so no air can move up under a coat or anything. Hands always in pocket glove on bow hand only shooting glove on other. I've found first sock layer being a moisture wicking sock then wool. But still don't know how to keep my feet truly warm. Always wear a baclova and a fleece neck warmer.
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 09:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jake Scott:
Izzy,
Have you tried the Filson merino base layer?  I've wanted to try them for a while.

I agree with all of the above.  Avoid cotton, especially close to the skin.  I actually haven't tried wool yet as a base, mostly because it is so dern expensive.  I have used a lot of the higher end synthetics, Patagonia capilene (sp) being my favorite.  A lot of people whose opinion I value tout wool as the best base layer.

Jake
No Sir, I wear a vest and a cruiser. Single Mack for milder weather (above freezing) double mack with cape when its freezing. I have Smart Wool and LL Bean wool base layers and am looking to buy some Kuiu.  From my research the Kuiu wool appears to be the best bang for your buck when it comes to wool base layers but again, Ive yet to get my hands on it. Ibex is great but expensive although worth it when you'd otherwise be shivering running to your truck to warm up.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 09:00:00 PM »
layered wool is where it's at.  if you stand hunt, try wearing in as little as you can stand and dressing when you are in place - sweating is not your buddy.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 09:07:00 PM »
Darron, my feet never get cold. I use regular socks and bunny boots ( Mickey mouse boots). You can find them cheap sometimes at military surplus. If your feet sweat, try this
 http://www.amazon.com/Lavilin-Foot-Deodorant-Cream/dp/B0001T1LLM
Do not over due it, it can try out your skin. It also helps with foot odors. I put my boots in a Peet dryer after each hunt.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2014, 10:10:00 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but buuny boots are the white boots and, mickey boots are black. Yeah, you could wear cotton socks with those boots but I wouldn't wear cotton socks with any other boot.
I wear fleece next to the skin, then wool, and though I like Filsons,I wear Swanndri wool garments, they're from NNew Zealand, and they are naturally waterproof !
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2014, 10:34:00 PM »
Wool for sure KOM, SI, etc...but now that I'm in SC for the winters what to do  :)  tippit

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2014, 10:29:00 AM »
I just bought for this year a Firstlite merino wool shirt to replace my smartwool and the firstlite has longer cuffs with a thumbhole and boy is that the best thing ever!

Start with merino wool base layers. Two layers if its in the 20's and lower.

Upper body gets.. woolrich wool shirt, then filson wool vest and A wool coat. I wear a Graywolf woolens uninsulated wool coat.

Lower body... fislon wool pants.

Feet ....  Boots are Schnees and I like those little disposable foot warmers. I also wear Darn Tough normal thickness socks.

Head.... Firstlite balacalava, then smartwool beanie.

Hands.... wool army gloves over the thumbhole cuffs of my firstlite thermal shirt.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2014, 06:52:00 PM »
You got it Ken. The white boots type || are bunny boots, -65 degree. The Mickey mouse are black to - 20
I have always wore the black Mickey mouse boots with my heater body suit and have been fine.

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 07:11:00 PM »
good quality long underwear, Wool pants, wool socks, wool shirt, after getting to stand I add wool timate bibs, than after cooling down some on the stand either a wooltimate vest or jacket, depending how cold. I wear the bear minimum walking to the stand to keep from sweating. Get damp from sweat and you will get cold.
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©