3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Warm winter hunting clothing/ any suggestions!  (Read 992 times)

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Warm winter hunting clothing/ any suggestions!
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2014, 07:19:00 PM »
lots of layering and a nice quite fleece wind blocker outer layer.

I use merino bases, and Berber fleece outers.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline warbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2014, 06:35:00 AM »
Wool with a good baselayer and socks. Filson,Woolrich,Johnson,and LL.Bean all make some good stuff.
A man has to have a code, a way of life to live by.
John Wayne

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2014, 07:27:00 AM »
I have experimented through the years as many others here have.  You cann't beat wool in my opinion.  I have been there like many others when money was tight.  but if you can Wool from Dayone, Grey Wolf Woolens or Filson is awesome.  Base layer for me nothing beats wool power or smart wool.  don't get sticker shock, these garments carry a lifetime Guarentee and they stand behind it.  boots, the key here is 1200 gram of thinsulation with "wiggle" room.  If you boots fit too tight, your feet will always be cold.  When it gets below zero, nothing beats the military "micky mouse" boots.

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2014, 08:04:00 AM »
Cabela's extreme (has to be the extreme version) berber fleece bibs and jacket.  I jsut got back from an Ohio trip where we had temps in the teens with 15 mph winds - I was able to stay on stand all day.  

Merion wool base layer
scent lok base layer
merino wool mid weight vest
Cabelas berber fleece

Hand warmer, fleece facemask and wool hat

I also use artic shiled boot blankets over 1500gm rubber boots

I also folded and used a fleece blanket on stand platform to insulate from cold steel

My hidden Wolf Woolens also work in extreme cold but I prefer the fleece
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2014, 09:07:00 AM »
Layered wool on the body and Mukluks on the feet

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2014, 09:13:00 AM »
Get a Patagonia or North Face Primaloft jacket. They are a bit pricey but you can wear them as a sweater, a layer with a fleece jacket or pullover. They allow you to stay warm in cool weather without overheating and, as I learned yesterday, I can wear minimal base layers in much colder weather. I got mine, a Patagonia Air Nano jacket because it is a bit quieter than the North Face, as an early Christmas gift from Laura's dad. Both the North Face and Patagonia are machine washable, are supposed to be warm when wet (haven't been THERE yet), are very quiet under fleece, very light and packable. Don't know about the North Face but my Patagonia is water resistant to the point it can be worn casually in a normal rainstorm and keep you dry. IMO, both are worth every penny especially if you want warmth without bulk. Now I am going to be searching for the bottoms.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2014, 10:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by DaveT1963:
[QB] Cabela's extreme (has to be the extreme version) berber fleece bibs and jacket.  I jsut got back from an Ohio trip where we had temps in the teens with 15 mph winds - I was able to stay on stand all day.  

Merion wool base layer
scent lok base layer
merino wool mid weight vest
Cabelas berber fleece

Dave- I have the extreme burber bibs and they are awesome.  I've been considering the coat but was concerned it would be to bulky for bow hunting.  Your experience?
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2014, 07:17:00 PM »
I agree with Bill.  It is amazing how much difference a compressible insulating jacket makes.  I was using a blue Columbia omnitherm this week when the temps started out at 15 degrees, and I was able to get rid of two other layers that I would have needed otherwise.  Sure makes clearance for the bowstring better.  Just ordered a camo superdown jacket to fill the same function, since I don't need a hood and want to have the option of using it as an outer layer.  My omnitherm is blue.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2014, 10:49:00 AM »
Depends how I'm hunting.

It all starts with First Lite baselayers. Their boxers are top notch and really control how much you sweat.

I have the FL puffy jacket for stalking out West. Super light, breathable and very warm.

Stand hunting i use my FL layers (2 tops and a vest) then my natural gear fleece w/windblocker jacket and pants. Fair warning they dont breathe whatsoever so I just keep them in my pack until I'm at my stand sight. They are incredibly warm however and their windblocker technology is no joke-does its job incredibly well.

Balaclava for my face/neck, my favorite stocking hat, a mid weight pair of gloves and my hand muff with possibly a chemical hand warmer if it's really cold.
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2014, 11:58:00 AM »
Depends how I'm hunting.

It all starts with First Lite baselayers. Their boxers are top notch and really control how much you sweat.

I have the FL puffy jacket for stalking out West. Super light, breathable and very warm.

Stand hunting i use my FL layers (2 tops and a vest) then my natural gear fleece w/windblocker jacket and pants. Fair warning they dont breathe whatsoever so I just keep them in my pack until I'm at my stand sight. They are incredibly warm however and their windblocker technology is no joke-does its job incredibly well.

Balaclava for my face/neck, my favorite stocking hat, a mid weight pair of gloves and my hand muff with possibly a chemical hand warmer if it's really cold.
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2014, 09:19:00 PM »
All wool, no argument there.
Can't say enough about the luxury of chemical hand warmers in a hand muff. Just having something warm to hold onto gets me through the coldest all day hunts.

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2014, 11:23:00 PM »
Been trying to fill a Iowa doe tag and the last week has been bitter cold with -minus temps and wind. Been sitting for eight hours a day in a blind or in the open. The best cold weather hunting clothing i have ever found in forty years that works for me is my Dayone Parka. Wool, insulated/windproof, in ASAT camo. I just wear a light shirt under it. And for me sitting in cold crappy weather, I found Bass Pro Shops Drake 2.0 insulated bibs, Merino wool long johns keeps me warm and dry. Add 1000 gram waterproof boots a size bigger,wool socks, a heavy fleece stocking hat, don't like wool on my bald head. Add wool gloves,and i'm good to -20 below. I always hated the layer game when it gets super cold.
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2014, 02:53:00 PM »
I have merino wool, and Cabela's parka and bib outfit which is 93% wool and windproof But I think the comment above is right if you stay out very long you're going to get cold. If you can eat something and keep your digestive going about every two hours you'll do better.

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline MacRae

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2014, 03:07:00 PM »
A mix of blanket weight wool and polar fleece...but being "toasty" just ain't gonna happen....

A muff with hand warmers and split mittens (wool) is nice and I pack in a pair of Icebreaker boot blankets....
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.

Offline BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2014, 04:17:00 PM »
For me nothing beats the Heater Body Suit.

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2014, 04:36:00 PM »
Wool Power base, Wool shirt, KOM bibs and topped with a Silent Predator Grizzly coat. This combo gets me by in single digit temps.

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2014, 08:36:00 PM »
As a general rule, I like vests to add that additional insulation over the tors. Always seems to help. Also, since @ 70% of body heat is lost from the head/neck layers there also.
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2014, 10:48:00 PM »
3 things that make a HUGE difference.

1)A nice warm face mask, I like first light wool, and It covers my neck too. Although there are warmer ones out there.

2)A down jacket layer. Yup, I tuck the collar inside so it doesn't make noise. 850 premium fill!!!! Awesome.

3)arctic shield boot covers, attach a toe warmer to the inside top over toes.

These 3 things have made, sits much more enjoyable, a 4th is a muff with a hand warmer too!

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2014, 02:43:00 PM »
cheap layers of wool..fleabay, good will, yard sales, sometimes here in the classy's.

Windstop layer from asbell..use just under your outer layer
good Wool hat.
merino wool long underwear
smartwool extraheavyweight socks
"mickey" boots that fit loose

For a couple years I used some cheap knock-off underarmor like layers. They worked very well and were much less bulky.
problem was they began to stink. I just couldn't get the smell outta the pits. tried about everything.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2014, 04:34:00 PM »
Mike Mitten and Steve Osminski turned me on to this system and it is the best I have found. I get cold very easily for a guy. My layering system for treestand hunting is as follows:  Base layer-Sitka merino wool. Mid-layer-Sitka Traverse top (no Mid-layer for my legs), Outer Layer-Sitka Fanatic bibs and coat.   This works great for me. I also have a Sitka Kelvin vest to be used as another layer but I haven't needed to wear it yet. The previously mentioned system keeps me very warm, it is lightweight, blocks all wind, and not too bulky. Try it out guys. You will be glad you did.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©