3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: If you could live in any state for hunting, where would you live?  (Read 1534 times)

Offline el chupa nibre

• Trad Bowhunter
Hey guys,

Just some background on me. I'm a second year law student at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Lived in Illinois, specifically a small suburb of Chicago my whole life. Not very well-traveled as I've only been to a few states: Colorado, Massachusetts (Boston), Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin, and Michigan. Was most recently in Colorado interning for the Air Force JAG in Aurora, but didn't have much time to explore.

I'm in the process of wrapping up a rather messy divorce and it's given me a new perspective on life. Do what you want and be happy!

So right now I am thinking of places I would want to work and play after I finish law school. I've been doing my own research but it would be fantastic to hear from people who have either been to certain states and can give direct feedback to their experiences, or those who have made their own wish lists as well.

- Paul

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: If you could live in any state for hunting, where would you live?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 01:42:00 AM »
There are many great places, but depends on the person. BTW, what is nibre? I don't think that is a word.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline el chupa nibre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 02:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jerry Jeffer:
There are many great places, but depends on the person. BTW, what is nibre? I don't think that is a word.
That is very true, Jerry. I was just curious of peoples' thoughts. People often ask this sort of question (of where they would like to live) but I wanted to hear opinions from a bowhunting perspective. For myself, I've been looking at Hawaii and Alaska. But there are 50 states out there...

And "el chupa nibre" is a character from an animated TV show: Futurama. Obscure reference, I know!

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 05:54:00 AM »
HANDS DOWN IOWA I love them BIG Midwestern white tails!  :thumbsup:
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 06:27:00 AM »
It really depends on what animal you want to focus on. AK has great animals but is difficult to hunt most of them without a major excursion - flying in, etc.  HI is beautiful with year round hunting for feral animals. Western States have some great species to hunt and lots of variety, but most bow seasons are relatively short.

For me personally, I'd choose a state like Iowa, Kansas or Nebraska with some great whitetail hunting and long seasons yet reasonably close to the mountain states for a trip or two each year.

But that's just me....
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 07:09:00 AM »
that's easy.  south Dakota.  long bow seasons.  good variety of big game.  borders Montana any wy, close to all western action.  world class pheasant and waterfowl hunting. great fishing for about any species of freshwater fish available.  I live in wy, close to the border, and if I wasn't as close as I was with a good enough job for some out of state tags, id have moved over years ago...
is it September yet??

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 07:54:00 AM »
Montana or Alaska - I still have a few adventures left in these aging bones
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 07:59:00 AM »
Wyoming

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 08:02:00 AM »
Anywhere in the mid west but particularly Iowa.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 08:33:00 AM »
Kentucky. Great deer numbers with long liberal seasons, land that is still relatively affordable, booming elk herds, and an ever increasing bear population. Weather is also pretty decent most of the time, and the economy is the central part of the state has been fairly recession tolerant.

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 08:34:00 AM »
Colorado or South Dakota.
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Offline Littlejake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 08:37:00 AM »
Rural Iowa or Ohio.
Try and be the person your dog thinks you are...
PBS Regular Member

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 08:55:00 AM »
Limpopo.

Oh, wait.  That's a province....  where they're bummed if you do see at least four species of planes game per day.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 09:59:00 AM »
Georgia not only has a wide range of animals and terrain (moutains in the north, lowlands in the east, foot hills in the west) but also has generous seasons and limits. I believe that if a fella likes to hunt, he can do serious hunting 12 months of the year with a Georgia license. The default being pigs, but deer, bear, predator, and small game are abundant. Also there are a good amount of WMAs and public land available, though in the southern and eastern regions finding land owners willing to let you hunt pigs is no real problem.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 10:03:00 AM »
I would live in Canada best hunting of all for almost anything .Then go to Texas for hogs and deer in the winter.

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 10:08:00 AM »
I am in the same situation as huntnmuley.  If I was to pick another state,  it would be WY.  I live 12 miles from the WY border in Spearfish, SD about an hour and half from newcastle.

From a strictly bowhunting perspective we have long seasons for antelope/deer.  Other opportunities are limited though.
Inquiring minds.......

Offline aim small...release

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2014, 10:08:00 AM »
Iowa or Ohio I love BIG whitetails. Really have no urge to big game hunt anything else. Weird I know but im a whitetail weirdo as my wife calls me lol
Take a deep breath and pick a spot

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2014, 10:12:00 AM »
I live and hunt in rural Iowa and love the state, however my wife and I spend about 150 days in Wisconsin each year at our rural property there.  Both states are great for hunting, but often times when people hear the word Iowa all they think about are the huge bucks.

There are some very nice deer in Iowa, but it depends a lot on what area of the state you're talking about.  In many of the strictly "agriculture" areas the bucks get thinned down pretty quickly during the shotgun seasons.  Not to say there still aren't some big ones out there, but the north central part of the state doesn't compare to other parts.

Bernie

Offline Bootlegger Ben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2014, 10:15:00 AM »
As a fellow Illini (undergrad not law), I'd say Iowa.   About 13 years ago my wife and I were in your shoes.  She was finishing up med school and we were weighing our options on where to live/do residency.  We choose Iowa, and I am very glad we did.  

Obviously, everyone knows about the deer hunting here.  No, there aren't 180 inch bucks behind every tree like the television shows and magazine articles like to portray, but the deer hunting is very good.  Turkey hunting here is top notch too.  There is a decent amount of public land.  More would be better of course, but it's not bad.  Getting permission for private land isn't too hard either.  If you want to buy your own ground it is cheaper than Illinois.  It's still expensive though.  Besides deer and turkey our bird hunting is pretty good.  Pheasant numbers have rebounded and the quail population in southern Iowa is decent.  If you like waterfowl hunting there are plenty of options there too.  I would argue Iowa is the best state in the lower 48 for trapping, and our fishing is very underrated.  

While we don't have elk or bears it isn't too bad to travel for those hunts.  I can be at good elk ground in Colorado in 13 hours or so.  MN has good bear hunting and it's not a bad drive.

Good luck, and if you have any questions on Iowa I'll do my best to answer them.

-Ben

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 10:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by Biathlonman:
Kentucky. Great deer numbers with long liberal seasons, land that is still relatively affordable, booming elk herds, and an ever increasing bear population. Weather is also pretty decent most of the time, and the economy is the central part of the state has been fairly recession tolerant.
This would be my choice as well. But I'm not really interested in anything bigger than deer. really like their season & license structure, and their weapon options.
SWA Spyder

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©