3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How to stay warm without wearing bulky clothes... ?  (Read 1224 times)

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How to stay warm without wearing bulky clothes... ?
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2014, 12:49:00 PM »
http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/outdoor-camping-gear/hunting/m1951-wool-field-pants.html

Just ordered these after I got back the second day of 38 degree weather here in FL.  Think with shipping it was $32.  Reviews say they are warm.  Now I am trying to get my wife to purchase a Asbell pull over for me.
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Romans 10:14 KJV

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2014, 01:09:00 PM »
Daniel:  your base layers matter, get the best you can afford, as they reduce the bulkiness of the outer layers.  The heavy weight Under Armor works, although it is high; I can hardly make myself pay for it, but I do.  I have some fleece windstopper clothing from Cabellas that works and is quiet.  I got it on sale in the Bargain Cave online.  Good wool works, but it's heavy and expensive as well.  If you feel like your clothing is pulling on you, you might need to buy the outer layers one size larger to allow for layering.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2014, 01:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by DanielB89:

Originally posted by ron w:
You need to learn to love wool.......period! And really......do you think anybody cares how you look when hunting!
yeah, i do.  Plus i can't see paying $75 for a hat.  No offense to wool people, I understand everything has a process to being made and some times they are very timely and require a lot of work.  But for me, I wont spend that much on ANY item of clothing.. Unless my wife wants it of coarse.. [/b]
You can lead a horse to water but ya can't make him drink!
 I'm with Ron W on this one.

Start with a real good merino wool baselayer and that includes a wool balacalava. The thing with wool and it's hard to understand until you try it is that it really allows such a wide range of temps.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2014, 01:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Diamond Paul:
Daniel:  your base layers matter, get the best you can afford, as they reduce the bulkiness of the outer layers.  The heavy weight Under Armor works, although it is high; I can hardly make myself pay for it, but I do.  I have some fleece windstopper clothing from Cabellas that works and is quiet.  I got it on sale in the Bargain Cave online.  Good wool works, but it's heavy and expensive as well.  If you feel like your clothing is pulling on you, you might need to buy the outer layers one size larger to allow for layering.
that is what I hope to do.  I am looking into getting some of the pants i posted above and Have a good base layer(just bought one at academy last week and then a good shirt should keep me a little warmer and eliminate some of the bulk..atleast that is my hope.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2014, 02:10:00 PM »
I agree that 20 degrees down here feels bitter for some reason; in dryer climates I have walked around in just a sweater at that kind of temp without a problem, but not down here.

Offline Wallydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2014, 02:24:00 PM »
One thing overlooked by a lot of southern hunters that hunt in the cold occasionally is head and neck wear. I have a thinsulate skull cap topped by a wool full face camo stocking cap. A barclava (sp?) for the neck area is a big help too. I buy boots one size bigger than my shoe size for wool socks underneath and a lil air space helps tremendously with the feet. Wool just cant be beat Daniel for thickness/bulkiness vs. the warmth factor IMO. You will spend a pile of money trying to beat it. There is darn good woolen military stuff too for a lot less money.

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2014, 03:17:00 PM »
Get a good base layer and when it is cold I use a neck gaiter to keep my neck covered. Keeping my neck covered make a big difference in how warm I stay.
 All I wear for hunting is wool. But I just got a pair of the BassPro pants with the wind stopper and what little I have worn them (a couple of short hikes) they  did not seem to be noisy and they did stop the wind.  I plan on using them for X country skiing this winter.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2014, 03:30:00 PM »
Daniel, all we need here is a mid-weight merino wool base layer, windproof  vest in fleece and a medium weight outer jacket that is WATERPROOF
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2014, 03:33:00 PM »
I used to be the biggest proponent for good wool, and still am to a degree but for sitting long periods in a cold treestand I have found nothing even compares to the Fanatic set by Sitka gear. I was recently hunting for four days with a buddy of mine and he could not believe I was staying warm in 15 degree temps with layers light enough that "it looked like I was wearing a hooded sweatshirt" as far as bulk. (His words). In those temps I need only the merino wool base layer, the Traverse top and the Fanatic coat and bibs. Lightweight. Extremely functional and unsurpassed in warmth. Try it out guys. You will love it.

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2014, 03:44:00 PM »
I wear wool year around. I have inexpensive Army surplus and I have expensive stuff like Filsons, Swanndri, Asbells, Pendleton, etc. it is great stuff, warm when wet, quiet, durable, adapts to a wide temperature range.
I do have a couple issues with wool, and they are most noteworthy when I am backpacking, like a multi day mountain goat hunt.
One issue is with wet. Although warm when wet, it is warmer when dry! And when it gets wet, it is hard to dry until you get to a heated cabin/tent/boat or until the sun comes out. When wet it is a drag to put back on in the morning, especially if it froze during the night. It also gets heavy when sodden.
It rains/snows 80-100 inches a year here, plus we are in boats all the time. Lots of chances to get wet. Fleece is easier to wring out and get a little recovery overnight in a cold tent.
The other issue is packability. It is harder to carry in the pack than some of the synthetics like fleece, primaloft, etc. that you can compress, and can wring out some of the water so you arent packing it around. Again, more of an issue when living out of a backpack.
So for some situations I go with the less traditional synthetics. Wool is great stuff, but sometimes I make a switch.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2014, 04:01:00 PM »
I'm becoming less and less a fan of temperatures below 30. My favorite set-up starts with bibs, then KUIU Merino base layers, down or primaloft vest, and a Sitka Gear coat.

I care first about silence, then comfortable fit, and then warmth.  I can't stand any form of gloves although I carry them with me.

Of all this I think the bibs and vests are the best for weight vs. bulk.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2014, 04:38:00 PM »
The Columbia Gallatin Range wool clothing, while not 100% wool and not as good as the high-end stuff, is a good compromise between price and warmth.  I have the shirt-jac and the boonie hat and like them both.  I plan on getting some of the pants soon.

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2014, 04:44:00 PM »
When it gets down to those temps where Long johns and a wool pullover just don't cut it anymore.....I just turn on my Little Buddy heater in my tent blind! Nice and toasty, no problems!  :thumbsup:  

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Online Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2014, 07:07:00 PM »
Google heat factory kidney belt. It will be the best 20 bucks you will ever spend to keep you warm. Simple, light, scent free, it works.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »
Sorry for repeating myself but when this topic comes up I only have one answer,Heater Body Suit!

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2014, 09:20:00 PM »
Layers with more on head and core and less on arms.

1. Wicking moisture transport next to skin
2. Insulating layers
3. Wind and snow/rain protection if required

Down vests work really well if covered by another quieting garment. You can cut sleeves off stuff if you need to reduce bulk on arms.

Head and neck covering balaclava type hat with another regular larger hat on top of that.

Disposable hand and toe warmers, buy these in a big box at Costco or similar.

Thin liner type gloves with silicone print on palms and fingers for bow grip. I cut out an area from the palm to be able to feel the bow and the finger tips off my glove hand.

Put it all on and then go shoot at the range, you will probably need an arm guard or strap to compress your bow hand sleeve. Once it gets cold I try to always practice with the gloves on.

I am pretty frugal myself and buy quality off brand stuff on sale. Not everything needs to be camo except for the outermost layer.

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2014, 10:03:00 PM »
"I don't like that look".....

One word... SWEATERS!!!!!

Wool Sweaters are warm!!! and they S-T-R-E-T-C-H!!!!!

We have all heard the "old saying" Cotton Kills.... Well, I have been using wool sweaters for layering,under cotton camo, for YEARS!!! It honestly sounds to me like your clothes are too tight. You can find 100% Wool "Yuppy vests" at the GoodWill Store,for $3-$4 each.(they were "styling" a few years back) Add a couple of 100% wool sweaters (GoodWill Store) Then top it off with a Camo shirt or jacket, AT LEAST 1 size larger than you normaly wear.

You should be "Roasty-Toasty" with plenty of freedom of movement. Plus, I shouldn't hamper your shooting at all!!!!!  :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2014, 09:13:00 AM »
see that is the deal, my clothes aren't tight at all, but my shoulders are broad(which has always been my problem) and long arms(6'1" with a 6'4" wingspan).  So when i draw my sleeves slide up then get caught on my forearms, stop sliding, and then starts to add tension to my draw.  I hope that made sense.  

Thank you for all the responses.  

I am going to locate a GOOD baselayer and i have a vest already.  That should help and just go light over the vest.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2014, 09:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by DanielB89:
I am wondering how you fellas manage to stay warm in the field without wearing so much clothing that it affects your draw.  

I have been practicing lately with my cold weather gear on and i can feel the clothing "pulling" back  while i'm drawing.  

Not that this matters, but I do not own wool, nor do I plan on it(nothing against it, just don't care for that look) and I don't currently own the "top dollar" material.  

My typical cold weather gear is a base layer, a long sleeve, and a jacket(either a thicker zip up one or a wind proof one).

I am just trying to figure out how in the world I can wear enough clothes to stay warm, but also not feel it while drawying..
"I don't like that look"???? I sat this morning for 3 hours. I wore ugly wool. I was comfortable the entire time. When I got to my truck the thermometer read -3....NEGATIVE 3. I LOVE that look of my skin not freezing....
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2014, 10:17:00 AM »
No cotton against your skin. I buy "Starter" brand undergarments at WalMart in late winter for a song. Check the tag. Polyester is your friend.

I gave a polypro t shirt to an old friend some years back. He's not the sharpest pencil in the box so I explained the wicking principle to him.

Next time we came in from the woods he complained about the cold. As he undressed I noticed a cotton T shirt next to his skin, a cotton long underwear top next and then the poly top I gave him.

Buy 'em books and buy 'em books!

I also gave him a neck gaiter but he thought it looked effeminate. He cut holes in it for eyes, nose and mouth then lost it within the month.

Let him freeze. I'm done.   :banghead:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©