3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How to stay warm without wearing bulky clothes... ?  (Read 1223 times)

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How to stay warm without wearing bulky clothes... ?
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2014, 10:26:00 AM »
Also, a good cheap wind breaker is well a wind breaker.  I buy them at wal mart when on sale.  Cheap nylon wind break top and bottom under fleece or wool is quiet and adds considerably to the heat retention.  I picked that tip up from Bobby Worthington who knows a few things about hunting big whitetails in the cold.  It also is a great aid in slowing down human scent release.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Lynch Mob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2014, 11:03:00 AM »
The big difference for me handling the cold, whether it is waterfowl hunting or deer hunting...has been my Sitka gear.

No matter where you go as soon as you mentioned Sitka, people comment awesome stuff but very pricey. Well a gallon of gas isn't worth 3 to 4 dollars a gallon either, and its the same gas we been using for over twenty years. With Sitka at least you are getting state of the art material with top research behind it.

That all being said, the layering system is the key with a good outer covering. To me the outer covering must have wind blocker, with a soft covering for noise. Nothing beats that than the fanatic system bar none...and if its severely cold the incinerator with a wool next to skin is all I wear with that system, almost too warm.
But the key I have learned is I never wear anything cotton next to my skin, no matter how hard I try not to sweat, it happens. The cotton traps all moisture and holds it next to the skin, and with no wind blocker the air seeps through the material leaving me chilled to the bone.

I know its a huge expense, but being able to handle colder weather longer and more comfortably without the bulk...that's invest I'm willing to make.
Hang'em Low
Lynch Mob

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2014, 02:22:00 PM »
Yup! Just as I thought... You need sweaters! They STRETCH!!!

I'm 5'7" 230# I have a 40" waist & a 54" chest! I have to have AT LEAST a XXL to fit my broad shoulders. My 2 boys, are 6'1" & 6'3" and they both inherited my broad shoulders. Sweaters cure the tightness in your back... Trust me!  :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2014, 10:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bigriver:
Google heat factory kidney belt. It will be the best 20 bucks you will ever spend to keep you warm. Simple, light, scent free, it works.
I've got something similar  that must be nearly antique.  My grandparents used it in the 30's and 40's deer hunting in Michigan.  It's a kidney belt with two pockets for hand warmers.
homebru

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2014, 10:48:00 PM »
Sat a few all day sits in 0 to 20 degrees this year.  Very cold here in KS!!!  I get cold easily (no fat I guess!). . .I hate feeling cold when I need to shoot. . . I hate sweating going in. . .  and I hate anything Michelin-man feeling:
My system-
Walk-in:
-Merino base layers (goodwill merino sweater on top, merino long underwear bottom.)
-Sleeveless Cabelas Polartec union suit
-Lightwt First Lite pants for the walk-in
On Stand (don't laugh!):
-Insulated wind resistant Bibs over the walk in
-Super large (very light) fleece pants (almost like pajamas) over the Bibs-quiets everything.
-Large/loose wool sweater
-Fleece thinsulate vest
-Predator Fleece jacket with their absolute quiet windblock.
- balaclava, hat, neck gaitor
-handmuff with warmers
-2 pair wool socks (one high wader type)
-pack boots

Did pretty well.  Snowy, 20 degree day yielded me a bruiser beast at 130PM.  Saw 2 other 150"+ deer between 1030 and 1200 another day.  Needed to be out there all day!!  Love wool- use it A LOT- but it is WAY too heavy for long hikes and stand/sticks set up, all day sits, and clothes bungee to stand (on back).
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Dick Langer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2014, 08:11:00 AM »
Last year bought a heated vest from Cabelas has made all the difference . Keeps your body core warm without affecting your draw,works for me.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2014, 08:33:00 AM »
I just got a Patagonia Air Nano jacket as an early Christmas present from my father-in-law. It has a soft shell and is very quiet under my Day One fleece. Depending on how cold it is I vary the base layers. It is light weight, not bulky, is packable, washable, can wear it in the rain, stretches and breathes. A lot better than the scratchy nylon jackets/vests that are down or man made insulation. After doing research on Primaloft I can't think of why any other insulation in a layering system would be considered except that I realize it does not fit everyone's budget.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2014, 09:12:00 AM »
Bill- I have primaloft too, but even under fleece the light shells seem to make too much noise for those dead still evenings.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2014, 09:26:00 AM »
KSdan…When I went to the local store to see what they had I told the salesman that I was a bowhunter. I brought along a fleece top to determine if the cost was worth it. Noise was not going to make a sale. I tried on a North Face top  a friend of mine likes but I found it to be too noisy but not bad. The salesman's brother bow hunted and understood my needs. He went straight to the rack of Patagonia stuff and  handed me a jacket. Much quieter than the North Face but pricier. However, since it was a gift without a price  limit I got it and don't regret it for a minute. While wearing it in a tree stand a few days later I was able to get the draw on a mature tom turkey at about 12 yards. He did not hear me but caught me drawing back the bow. It was my first shot wearing the garment. No noise drawing back. No turkey to show for it…but that will change before the season ends. I guess what I am saying is that the brands  use different materials in their garments. My jacket is as much a layering garment (it is red in color) as it is a casual go to dinner jacket. I just wish they would make underwear like it so I can keep my legs as warm and bulk free as my upper body is right now. The search for those leggings is on. LL Bean has them but they may be too noisy. We are planning a trip up there after the season to check them out.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2014, 09:51:00 AM »
Good input.  I might try some others as well.  Mine is the Russell APXg2 (awesome stuff and they closed it all out 2 yrs ago).  It still makes too much noise for me though (as does KUIU and Sitka as well).  I looked into the LL BEAN bottoms (instead of the Bibs I mentioned above).  They may work on stand as legs do not move during the bow draw.  Look to hear more from guys on all of this. I actually think most of the soft shell stuff (even by the high end guys) makes too much noise for me.  

Dan in KS

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2014, 10:09:00 AM »
Goose down, light and nothing is warmer... pair it merino base layers and fleece on the outside and it is quiet and not bulky
bryce olson

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2014, 10:58:00 AM »
Bryce- what Goose Down do you use?  Everything I have found makes too much noise.  I must be able to draw absolutely silent when it is dead-still.  And typically-it is dead-still at last PM/first AM and winter cold!

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2014, 08:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ron Vought:
Wool. Merino wool base layers, Wool Pendelton 10 oz.shirts followed by a Silent Predator lined vest and Silent Predator unlined wool/shirt jacket. Great combination that doesn't interfere with the bow arm and also keeps you extremely warm.You can put on and take off based on temperature. What you pay for is what you get in regards to quality hunting clothes.

Ron
Scary.  That is exactly what I am wearing.  That Silent Predator Vest and jacket is a great combo.
T ZZZZ

Offline Dave Paradowski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2014, 01:29:00 PM »
Wear no cotton. use heat factory kidney belt plus an additional warmer in the shirt pockets. This along with a heavy pair of longjohns and a good windproof shell provides me with good warmth to About 15 degrees or so.   Dave

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2014, 10:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by Diamond Paul:
The Columbia Gallatin Range wool clothing, while not 100% wool and not as good as the high-end stuff
I agree with most of what is posted...but I've owned this Gallatin stuff and its real heavy and doesn't fit right. If it gets wet...then it feels like a big heavy wet blanket.

I've tried just about every combination and many have said it; Merino wool base layers to keep the bulk down and then a windproof shell that flexes so you can draw and shoot. I prefer the merino now on mtn hunts too as it wicks pretty good and you can wear it for days without any stink.
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2014, 10:36:00 AM »
I haven't had any deer spook from my draw while wearing the Sitka Gear. It is not as quiet as wool....but then nothing is. Also it gets much quieter after it has been washed 4 or 5 times. Good luck guys!

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2014, 11:42:00 AM »
JonS- I am wondering if you think the Sitka's warmth can be attributed to the Primaloft?  I see it has 130g.  I just found -on sale- a Primaloft bib by LL Bean with the same 130g of Primaloft.  I am not as concerned about noise on a bib, besides I wear a polar fleece cover up over it anyway.  Curious your thoughts??

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2014, 04:54:00 PM »
Hey Daniel check out some of the base layers that some of the fly fishing companies offer for cold weather. I have a pair of reddington fleece mid weight pants that I use for both hunting and fly fishing in 20-30 degree temperatures and they're awesome! For a top look at the Simms waderwick thermal top or guide mid top (also look at the pants/bottoms) for both of these. Both Redingtons and Simms' stuff is top notch. I got the redington bottoms just because at the time they were a little cheaper and are just as good as the Simms. For a mid layer try looking for any long sleeve flannel shirt in either dark colors or camo and for pants I like insulated carhart's for hunting or a pair of cabela's fleece micro berber pants. My outer jacket is always my russell outdoors jacket. With these layers on I'm good to go for down to the mid teens.
James Kerr

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
Disposable toe warmers. After you get to your stand, stick one to your baselayer in each armpit, open another pack and stick one, again on the baselayer, in the small of your back and the other on your bellybutton. If you've sweated a bit, the heat will actually dry out the wet.
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2014, 09:30:00 PM »
I have the precursor to this wool jacket w the bowhunter cut.
 http://www.graywolfwoolens.com/store/home.php?cat=20

The sleeves are cut special too, and have the sewn in armbands with adjusters. Really is great for bows. But it's not lightweight for long haul packs w stands,  but nice otherwise.

I'm not sure who else makes special bow cut jackets these days, but glad I bought this way back when I did. Prob wouldn't do it now, lol.
Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©