3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thoughts on bow silencing...  (Read 289 times)

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
Thoughts on bow silencing...
« on: November 20, 2014, 11:22:00 AM »
Hey guys. I have a new string (6 strand SBD) and an old string (8 strand, best guess is an SBD with bowhush/hushpuppies).

I installed the new string and shot the pants off it to break it in (sounds like that's not much of an issue). I tried the entire range of brace height and the thing is still twangy. I noticed that my silencers were a lot further towards the limb tips on the other so I put these there and tried the whole BH range again. Same thing. At all brace heights the other is so much more quiet. And at the right brace height it just makes the slightest dead thump sound with no hand shock at all.

I am just trying to understand what's at work here. Certainly no complaints about the SBD string. Just a bunch of general questions.

1. Does each bow have a 'spot' that is best for a silencer, or does that spot move around depending on which silencer you use?

2. Seems like there are a lot of different wool silencers out there for instance. Is there a large difference in which type of wool? (asking because the SBD silencer is also a wool puff, just smaller at about half the size. So I wonder if I need the different material, or just a larger puff in general)

3. When installing a new string, should it have the same BH as the old one? Or put another way, is the brace height determined by the bow/arrow combo, or the string material/design?

Thanks guys, looking forward to the discussion...

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thoughts on bow silencing...
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 11:49:00 AM »
1. Does each bow have a 'spot' that is best for a silencer, or does that spot move around depending on which silencer you use?

Yes, every bow will vary a little, but I never take the time to find that spot. I put all my silencers on abouut 12" from loops.  If it is still loud, I do 1 or two things.  1.  Add more strands to the silencer(wool yarn).  If that doesn't work, 2.  I add a second silencer about 5" below that one.  

Another thing is, I always have "recurve wraps" on my strings.(it helps that i build strings as a side job.)

2. Seems like there are a lot of different wool silencers out there for instance. Is there a large difference in which type of wool? (asking because the SBD silencer is also a wool puff, just smaller at about half the size. So I wonder if I need the different material, or just a larger puff in general)

There are a ton of different yarns out there.  SBD actually uses acrylic yarn, so it isn't wool.  Terry(bow hush) uses some of the highest quality wool you can find.
I use wool yarn you can find at walmart or any local stores.  

3. When installing a new string, should it have the same BH as the old one? Or put another way, is the brace height determined by the bow/arrow combo, or the string material/design?

I would recommend putting it at the same BH.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 12:34:00 PM »
These are my opinions, take them for what they are worth.  Always best to do your own experimenting to find what works best for you.

The "sweet spot" should be the same, regardless of what type silencer you use.  That spot may change some from bow to bow, even the same bow that is the same length.

I haven't done much with wool.  Plan to experiment with some Two Tracks wool silences in the near future (thanks Chuck!).  I've always had great results with cat whiskers.  In general, more material can help, but it can also hinder.

It should be the same or close, but for the best results re-tune.  ESPECIALLY if you are changing string materials, strand counts, string makers, or anything else.

I like to start with a "naked" string (no silencers).  Try to eliminate one variable at a time.

Get the string shot in.  A pre-stretched HMPE ("fast flight") string shouldn't take more than 50-100 shots, if that.

Find the spot in the brace where you have the least noise/shock/vibration.  Write it down.

Add silencers.  One at the 1/3 point and one at the 1/4 point seems to be the best starting place.

Adjusting the silencers as little as 1" at a time can make a huge difference with some bows.

Other tips to get a bow quieter is a higher brace, heavier arrow, work on your release, and a good nock fit (not too tight).  If your arrows aren't the right spine, that can add noise as well as the nock point being too high or too low.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 12:50:00 PM »
I normally use mini woolie whispers, but have cats on a string Allen at Lefties R Us made for me, and they work fine.  I always put them in about the same position on the string, maybe 12" down from where the string contacts the limb at string groove.  Two sets can make a difference, but I normally don't need that.  Wool wraps on the string at the grooves makes a huge difference, and all my hunting bows have that.  Some strings sound different, just as some bows do, but bows sound louder to you shooting than they do to someone standing beside you, so I would have someone else listen to the bow when you shoot it.  The bow you perceive as lound or twangy might not be.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 12:55:00 PM »
Heavy Arrow! Simple.....  :dunno:
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 02:09:00 PM »
Thanks guys. So I'll move them around on the old quieter one and see if I can find a sweet spot. Since this is already setup (bought it used) they are probably already where they need to be. But they are oddly close to the limbs- like 5" from where the string hits the limb. Anyway I'll check it out.

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 05:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by LBR:

Try toFind the spot in the brace where you have the least noise/shock/vibration.  Write it down.

Add silencers.  One at the 1/3 point and one at the 1/4 point seems to be the best starting place.

+1
Martin-Hunter & Bamboo Viper, Black Widow Camo PLX, Holm-made Osprey, Toelke-SS #5 & Super D, Brackenbury Drifter, Wes Wallace Mentor, Kimber Huntsman,  Rose Oak-Wildcat II, Ocelot, Ace & 2 Heritage TDs, Bear-'67½  SK & '59 Kodiak Special - all LH

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©