3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Please help, finger blisters.  (Read 433 times)

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Please help, finger blisters.
« on: November 21, 2014, 04:36:00 PM »
So I got my new arrows in and they fly really good.  I have been shooting a lot the past two days and now all three of my finger pads have really bad blisters on them from the string.  I don't know the name of the glove, because my wife got it for me last year.  It did seem a bit thinner than my last glove though.  

Does anyone else have this problem?  Is it time to get a new glove and if so, which do you recommend.  I am looking for something where I can shoot a lot with out this problem. I haven't tried a tab yet, due to the fact I am more of a hunter than a 3d guy and a tab seems like something that I will lose in the woods.
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Romans 10:14 KJV

Offline bogeyrider63

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Please help, finger blisters.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 04:40:00 PM »
First i would lay off the shooting till the blisters go away. Are you using a deep hook?  Look at American Leathers big shot crossover. Great glove with great protection.

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 04:43:00 PM »
I am not sure what you mean by deep hook, but I rest the string in the middle of the bad on my finger and kind of hold my fingers at 90 degrees to where my index finger tip is at the corner of my mouth.  I actually had to make adjustments with my new SBD string because I was getting whipped on the tip of my nose.  That issue is solved though.
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

Offline MR BILL SHORTY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 04:50:00 PM »
Deluxe Howard Hill Glove   :thumbsup:

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 04:59:00 PM »
If you are injuring your fingers shooting it is probably not your glove or the string. More than likely you are drawing your bow out of line or out of balance. This seems to be prevalent on archers who choke their bow grips or those who cant their bow but fail to position their hand parallel to the string. Have someone look at you at full draw to help find the issue.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 05:35:00 PM »
It sounds like your using your finger tips to draw the bow? Even a lite weight bow will rip your hide off doing a lot of arrows. I would do like BIgbadjohn says, just make sure the person you ask knows what to look for.
Then I would get an American leathers glove. If you buy it direct they can fit it to your hand and fingers. I have two Bigshot gloves, one Elk, one Buffalo, I shoot 64# with a SBD string and have NO issues. Yes the gloves are more money but I have had mine for 10years now and no sign of them wearing out.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 05:50:00 PM »
A deep hook (at least to the first joint) with your fingertips pointing back at you will allow your hand and forearm to be more relaxed resulting in a smoother, cleaner release,make your bow feel 5 pounds lighter, and probably get rid of those blisters. I guarantee it.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 06:14:00 PM »
will try it thanks everyone

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 06:19:00 PM »
X2 on what Mahantango said. I was having trouble with my fingertips as well... deep hook and keeping the wrist relaxed makes all the difference! !!

Good luck and God bless,
Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 06:38:00 PM »
X2 on the American Leathers Big Shot Crossover.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 08:10:00 PM »
When it comes to shooting a bow "properly", it's hard to beat Kisik Lee's instruction.  Take a look at  this  page and see how he recommends you place your fingers on the string.
homebru

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 08:14:00 PM »
Holy smokes, I have been holding the string wrong.  I will try this tomorrow something tells me it will be like starting over.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 02:14:00 AM »
It may feel foreign at first, but stick with it. It should improve your shooting.
Tom

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 08:35:00 AM »
Nah, you'll be surprised how much easier and better it feels right away. Seems counterintuitive to have more fingertip in the way of the string, but with them relaxed they just flip out of the way as the string slips by. Holding on the finger pads puts way too much tension on the fingers, back of hand and forearm. Imagine picking up a full 5 gallon bucket. Do you use the pads of your fingers, or in the crease?
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 08:46:00 AM »
As said above, it's probably not your glove, if your able to solve the problem while still using the present glove, you'll more than likely end up with a great release.

Don't know what a tab has to do with shooting 3D, but I use it for 3D & hunting and have never had a problem with misplacing it. If your just starting a tab is the way to go, but this is just my opinion.

Good luck
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2014, 05:46:00 AM »
shheeww! i couldnt imagine holding the string with my finger tips glove or tab! hope it helps you out getting a deeper grasp! when i get sore fingers i back off otherwise it will never go away. my guess is you will feel so much more comfortable with a deeper grasp of the string compared to your fingertips
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline LPM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2014, 01:28:00 PM »
When I was younger I shot an 82LB Schafer Silvertip.  I had to custom make an extra thick three layer tab because my fingers took a beating even after they callused up..  I loved that bow and believe it or not I shot it at length during practice sessions.  A move to a cooler climate cause me to drop in draw weight.

My present bow is 67Lbs at my draw and If I lay off shooting for a few months as often happens after deer season I find it necessary to avoid long sessions until my fingers toughen up.

My advice......let your fingers heal a bit before making any drastic changes.

We're all different but conditioning is important for any repetitive activity.

As far as shooting form goes make sure you keep your drawing elbow as low as comfort allows to help prevent your hand from putting a lot of torque on the string or too much down pressure on the arrow nock.

Deep hook is comfortable but depending how your hand is shaped and the length of your fingers, it may not work for you.  I knew a guy who had all three drawing fingers the same length. . . . Wouldn't that be nice.

I have a huge difference between my first finger and the other two I draw with a deep hook but very little pressure is maintained by that first finger.

Roger Rothar talked about double serving his string and throwing his tabs away.  I wish I could but I'd be in tears during every practice session.  He's got some well conditioned fingers!
LPM

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2014, 03:15:00 PM »
Well Update,

I feel like I have taken a huge leap in my shooting with the deep hook.  Seems might shots are more consistent and shooting is more enjoyable.  With a deep hook I am now able to focus more on using my back muscles and form and not the pain when I release.  This was a huge help!

Thank you

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2014, 04:33:00 PM »
great news brother!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2014, 11:53:00 AM »
:thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©