3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ducks with bowfishing setup - dumb idea?  (Read 429 times)

Offline tamure

• Trad Bowhunter
Ducks with bowfishing setup - dumb idea?
« on: September 30, 2007, 12:55:00 PM »
So, I was thinking how great it would be to shoot ducks with my bow down at the river. Setup a few decoys right along the bank, sit up on the bank and shoot em as they land. Now this presents a few problems:
1) retrieving missed arrows (which are likely to float down the river)
2) retrieving the ducks (my spaniel isn't up to it, though I could borrow a lab)
3) if the dog retrieved the ducks, I'm afraid she could get cut up bad from the broadhead tipped arrows sticking out of the duck

So, what about a bow fishing setup, i.e., where the arrow is attached to a line? This seems like it ought to solve all those problems, although it would seem to limit shots to very close range. Anyone try it? Are there other problems with this idea?
Directions: Hike, camp, hunt, fish, wash, rinse, repeat.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ducks with bowfishing setup - dumb idea?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 01:10:00 PM »
I think you'd have to be VERY close to the ducks.

Let us know how it works out!   ;)
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Luke Vander Vennen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 01:39:00 PM »
Shots at flying ducks wouldn't be very practical, the arrow would run out of line pretty fast and come flying back at you. Not good. I do like the idea though, it would definitely solve a bunch of problems.
Dances with Turtles

Offline tamure

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 02:41:00 PM »
Yes, I figure this setup would only work (if it works at all) on sitting ducks, after they have (hopefully) landed in the decoys. Keep the feedback coming!

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 03:12:00 PM »
Videos please!
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 09:48:00 PM »
Just make sure there isn't any lead in those arrows!  :D    :D

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 10:19:00 PM »
I've got a mental image of trying to reel in a perturbed duck that's flying in circles over your head...    :eek:    Yeah, definitely get some videos!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 10:23:00 PM »
Seems kinda inhumane, shooting a duck with a bowfishing arrow. Course, I prolly don't even know what I'm talking about...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »
A bowfishing arrow most likely wouldn't be legal as for the barbs.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 10:40:00 PM »
T,
I dont know if you ever talked to the guy that comes in the shop.He kills Ducks pretty regular,with his bow n erras.He would be the guy to talk to.Heck,i might even wanna try it with ya.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline tamure

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 08:27:00 AM »
Vermonster: you're right. I'm glad you mentioned it, that hadn't even occurred to me. I guess that nixes that idea. Unless there's some way to rig a line to a regular arrow.

Bowspirit, that did cross my mind. It certainly isn't ideal, but I was thinking I'd rather be sure I could get a hold of any I shot, and ring its neck asap, instead of chancing that it should get away. I've only ever shot one duck with a bow, and that was with a regular broadhead. I still had to ring its neck.

Another idea is what could be used instead of broadheads that would be less likely to hurt the dog, but still effective? Darn dog won't retrieve arrows, though.

Traxx: I'd really like to talk to that guy. Is he the one in the picture with the gillie suit on and a couple of woodduck drakes?

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 09:10:00 AM »
Use a string tracker setup, the bow fishing gear is for shots under 5 yards IMO. You'd have a heck of a time hitting a duck with that setup.  The string trackers should be strong enough to pull a duck in and give good accuracy out to 20 yards or so.

It can be done.  :D
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline tamure

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 10:33:00 AM »
Morning Star, thanks for that suggestion. I may give that a try. The GameTracker is pretty inexpensive, and may be just what I need.

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »
Having never done what you are wanting to do, this is just an idea.

As a duck is pretty "soft" could you use a dulled broadhead, with one of those sliding judo heads (Zwickey Scorpio) behind it? This would limit penetration somewhat, and your duck couldn't fly off with the arrow in its body. The dulled BH would make it safer for the dog, and if the arrow stays inthe bird, when Fido retreives bird, he also retrieves arrow!

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 05:49:00 PM »
Kerry......You'll want the HEAVY LINE for the Tracker, they do make 2 line weights for them.  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2007, 07:03:00 PM »
I think you could rig an aluminum arrow/broadhead with bowfishing safety slides. They make some real small diameter bowfishing line where I'm sure you could stuff enough of it in an AMS Retriever reel that you could get a long yardage shot. I think your probably going to get complete penetration on a duck with a broadhead, so you won't have to worry about pulling the arrow back thru the duck, It'll get hung up sideways on the other side of the duck. I'd run this by PETA first, I think they have a handout about this.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2007, 07:47:00 PM »
Wellll, seems I saw you dove hunting with your Pronghorn. Doing right well too. I think wooden arrows with those Condor things, like the judo might be the ticket.  Wood arrows generally float and then you can wade out to get them.  One thing about ducks is the massive breast muscles.  I have seen numerous ducks with arrows sticking out of them on the evening news-bad publicity.  They are plenty tough too.  Broadheads and dogs won't mix, at least I don't send my Lab after arrowed game.  A braodhead with one of the grasshoppers might give you the damage and prevent pass thruoughs.  I have some waders you canuse.
That guy from CA shoots a lot of ducks and he will give you some pointers  and as traxx said, he just may invite you along.  By the way his sister has a farm that probably has pigs on it by now, so i'm looking for him as well.  he said we could go this fall-lessseeee, it's fall!  I also have decoys you can use.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2007, 09:47:00 PM »
Vermontster, in Wisconsin the "barbs" part only applies to deer and bear hunting.  Maybe it goes the same in your state as well.  The warden might question you about NOT using them on deer, but if you are sitting in front of a spread of dekes.... well, who knows.

Take a fishing rod with a big floating surface lure with you, you can cast over the arrow or duck and bring them in that way
ChuckC

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2007, 10:53:00 PM »
Dahhh! the dog will bring the arrow when he retrieves  the duck.  :)

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2007, 02:44:00 PM »
I think more of my dog than to let it go after a broadhead stuck, thrashing duck. You can treat yours any way you want.
Like the fishing rod and flaoting lure-we did that in Alaskan waters that were too deep for waders.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©