3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trouble picking a spot?  (Read 1310 times)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Trouble picking a spot?
« on: November 22, 2014, 05:06:00 PM »
I've been at this game a fairly long time, but I recently missed an easy shot at a deer.  Even though I have killed plenty of big game animals with my bow, the MAIN reason I miss is due to not picking a spot (shooting at the whole deer).  Sometimes I do it....sometimes I don't.  Do any of you guys have a sure fire way to make sure you do it EVERY time? I have gotten to the point of even considering a single sight pin on my bow..but I kind of feel like this might mess me up even more.  I need a way to ensure I pick a spot EVERY time when shooting at a big game animal.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trouble picking a spot?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 05:19:00 PM »
I'm in your boat, I'll be watching this.
US ARMY 1984-1988

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 05:19:00 PM »
Jon, if you ever get a real life working answer to this question, you will be a millionaire!!!!

Bisch

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 05:21:00 PM »
HA! Bisch I suppose you are right about that!

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 05:28:00 PM »
Self talk is all I have ever been able to think up for this problem. "Aim small" or "pick a spot" or "right there"

Remembering to do it, well that's another story.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 05:31:00 PM »
I Always concentrate on the leg or elbow on a deer when its coming to me or passing by. It helps me to pick a spot when I'm ready to shoot.
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 05:40:00 PM »
Put a big, bright sticker on the belly of your bow "Pick A Spot".

Offline Wallydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 05:51:00 PM »
Pick a folicle?

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 06:06:00 PM »
I'm.right there with you. Its easy to pick a spot on 3d or stumps. But 90% of my misses I can say are because of not picking a spot. And most of those are close range "slam dunk" shots.
  I wish I had a sure fire tactic.

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 06:30:00 PM »
I think there are more guys out there who struggle with this
( myself included) than you think. Out of the 20 plus deer I've killed with a trad bow only a few have been hit right where I was looking, but yet on a 3d it's no problem. For me when I miss it's because of poor focusing, not just shooting at the chest but hitting the crease. I have written on my bow "Aim small-Hit small". And also I get excited still when I'm about to shoot and I've been bowhunting 30 years, if I lose the excitement I'll stay home.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 06:37:00 PM »
Good thread!

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 06:44:00 PM »
I like to aim at a critter during a practice session. I may aim at a bird, squirrel, or whatever. I will just hold at full draw and pick the spot I would want my arrow to go. This is a sure fire way for me to get myself to hold, my wife would skin me if I shot one of her squirrels. (she rehabs squirrels).  :)

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 06:51:00 PM »
I have trouble with it at longer ranges for sure. Up close its a matter of remembering. Its part of the shot sequence for me. I actually tell myself to do it and do my best to not even blink. My goal is to draw-anchor-release-follow through without ever having broken eye contact with the spot I am trying to hit. Easier said than done of course but when I am able to do it, my accuracy is remarkable.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 07:01:00 PM »
I think, maybe, picking a spot BEFORE you start your draw, each time.  Make it part of the lead in to the shot.  There is a lot of excitement happening at that moment and it can overwhelm you.

I personally think we miss MOSTLY because we didn't pick and aim at a spot.
ChuckC

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 07:43:00 PM »
Gonna get some flack for this, but I don't always pick a spot. I pick an area.  I set up on a vertical line, then pick the area I want to hit.  I have found it nearly impossible for me to pick a spot on a solid brown deer(gray at dusk)or a black hog unless at point blank range. An example of this would be setting a verticle line at the shoulder crease on a deer and aiming 1/3 up the body.  Not recommending this. Just what I usually do on big game.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2014, 07:47:00 PM »
I guess that probably doesn't help.  You still have to remember to do it.

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »
I am just the opposite, I really have to concentrate when I am just shooting but it just happens. I always shoot at squirrels in different angles and at different distances.
I discovered recently that I cannot focus at longer distances with my progressive lens glasses. The glass prescription is in the shape of an hour glass and when you look out of the side, the glasses are not helping me at distance.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2014, 08:41:00 PM »
Jon,
       When possible I always try to concentrate on the crease coming up off the elbow, and low on the crease at that. I do the same thing at a 3-d shoot. It won't score well on a foam target but does a real good job of getting you focused on a live animal.

Of course that is not always the place to look depending on the angle and your choice of stand. I am almost always on the ground, so if I am patient it comes around eventually for me.

Deer usually tense up before the arrow gets there due to the noise, some guys call it ducking the string. Just a lot of muscles contracting in anticipation of getting the heck out of there. That is why I always look low. Worse case scenario the deer doesn't tense up and I may shoot right under it. If it does tense up it is usually a good solid lung hit with a happy tale to follow.

You are a seasoned bowhunter Jon you just need to find that "spot" again.

Good Hunting,
                                                      Craig

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2014, 09:22:00 PM »
I want to put "Pick a hair!" On my bow. Only for Ohio whitetail. Everything else I shoot at ends up in the freezer..

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2014, 09:24:00 PM »
This is my dilemma as well and I think it has got worse as I get a little older, eyesight(?), etc. (mid 50s now). Though I harvested a beast this year- I also missed a 155" and blew a shot on a doe.  ALL shots turned into shots at the "shoulder."  I call it "zone" shooting.  It is SO frustrating.  

I wish I could say I have mastered it- BUT I really do think Jay Kidwell's "Button Technique" in his "Instinctive Archery Insights,"  is a KEY answer.  I have re-committed myself again to this type of mental and actual practice this next 6 mos. I may consider other options if I do not overcome it.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©