3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trouble picking a spot?  (Read 1309 times)

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trouble picking a spot?
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2014, 11:39:00 PM »
Typically, I strive to have a spot picked out well before starting the shot execution and stay locked-in until the arrow meets the mark.

This is my objective, however I have failed at times. Re-adjustments required due to animal movement have usually served to enhance focus.
The error, in my experience, appears to me by not following my own pre shot and shot execution sequence...which is initiated by 1st picking a spot.

Note Turkeys don't seem to have spots, but feathers. I must enjoy missing them.

There are situations which dictate otherwise and of which I need to be prepared for.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2014, 12:58:00 AM »
I just started to pick a spot whenever I pull my bow back, not just when I have an arrow on the string. I think this will fill in a few gaps in my onboard programming, and will help make picking a spot an automatic first step in my shot sequence.
Chuck

Offline bowless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2014, 06:32:00 AM »
Many moons ago I wrote "pick a spot" on my bow.
Nothing big, just something I would notice when raising my bow to shoot.
Isaiah 53:5  and with his stripes we are healed.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2014, 07:11:00 AM »
That's my biggest battle...
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline warbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2014, 07:52:00 AM »
This was a big dilemma the first time I ever shot traditional equipment at a deer. Now I try to focus on the front shoulder. Using the muscle definition to make a refference spot I can work off of. In fred Bear's Archers Bible he states picking the right second for the shot and concentrating on the spot are the biggest factors in making hunting shots count.
A man has to have a code, a way of life to live by.
John Wayne

Offline RickE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2014, 08:29:00 AM »
Big, big problem of mine too Jon.  I wish I had the answer but don't.  Sometimes I pick a spot and make a good shot and sometimes I don't.....very frustrating!!  For me, I can shoot targets and stumps without issue, but when shooting at an animal is when it sometimes all falls apart.  I don't know if there is a real answer to this.  Maybe some of us are just doomed to have this issue on a more regular basis.  I've also considered a single pin.  Haven't done this yet.  I think old Jack Howard used to shoot with a sight on his bow if I remember right.....wonder if he had the same issue??

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2014, 09:09:00 AM »
Jon,

My only solution has been to draw while a deer is walking and line up so that it literally walks into my arrow path. For some reason I am then telling myself to wait on that front shoulder to clear so I'm on my spot rather than drawing up on a deer and the minute I get to full draw and the arrow gets somewhere on the deer my brain wants to release the arrow. In the later situation I'm a lot more likely to make a bad shot because my brain doesn't want to wait. I have no idea why that is as it seems silly but it has proven to work a lot better for me. Plus I'm better if I see a shot opportunity coming rather than being surprised by an encounter.
I think it has to do with the area in between my ears being quirky!
CK
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2014, 09:57:00 AM »
I visualize the arrow passing thru the deer in the correct spot. That's how I do it.
N/A

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2014, 10:05:00 AM »
I'm with you Jon! I do great on stationary animals but it's tough on deer passing through shooting lanes. I prefer to shoot them walking at close distances as grunting makes them alert and reactive. As they approach I try and stare just above the elbow/shoulder (whatever you refer to it as). Tough to do!

Offline Traditional-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2014, 11:01:00 AM »
OK guys I know you are going to laugh when you hear this because the answer had always been right next to us all. I had the same problem and still do at times but what helped me most was simple. I harvested a doe a few years back and like most deer I harvest I butchered my own animal. After skinning this doe I really liked the look of the hide but didn't know what to do with it. I didn't want the through the hide out so a light came on in my head. I knew I had a hard time picking a spot because the color and uniformity is almost all the same. To me its like aiming at a big black hole. So I fleshed out the hide the best I could and draped the hide over my 3d target and shot the target with the hide over it. What a great use for my hides. It will make a big difference when you are face with you whitetail next year trust me. If you don't have your hide or need one, go a butcher that takes care of deer most of them will give you one or sell one for next to nothing. Give it a try it worked for me.
Bruce
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.  

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2014, 11:05:00 AM »
Sorry guys for the miss spelled words and choppy setences I'm writing from my droid.
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.  

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2014, 02:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:
I think, maybe, picking a spot BEFORE you start your draw, each time.  Make it part of the lead in to the shot.  There is a lot of excitement happening at that moment and it can overwhelm you.

I personally think we miss MOSTLY because we didn't pick and aim at a spot.
ChuckC
X2
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2014, 03:07:00 PM »
Trad-Archer,

That's a great solution.  I practice shooting at a blank hay bale.  I focus on picking a spot of grass.  That's a similar concept.
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2014, 03:58:00 PM »
I confess, I have never shot at a walking deer so I don't have any experience at that. Occasionally they are turning at the shot.  I think the act of lining up a vertical makes me focus a little bit rather than just aiming for the animal.

Mike, eventually I will have Oklahoma whitetail worth shooting.  Not any better than those big Ohio deer, though.

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2014, 04:11:00 PM »
Some years ago, a good friend offered up some advice that addressed this problem, and is easily practiced.
When ever you have a quick second, pick something out and focus on it, at the grocery store, while walking down the isle, pick out a small spot on an item an focus on it until out of your vision. Doing this helps to create focus, and when done enough, it becomes like muscle memory...a habit so to speak.
Thanks,
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2014, 05:52:00 PM »
I have noticed that at the end of the day as it is getting dark, picking a spot gets much harder. Maybe that is because my dawn/dusk vision is not as good as it was when I was younger. But, the distance at which I can clearly see a spot to pick gets shorter at dawn and dusk.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2014, 06:01:00 PM »
O.k. don't eat me alive now with this answer, I first draw on the white belly, just behind the elbow, then go up about 6" on a full grown deer, you can also see this in low light conditions.

This won't work if the deer are right under you and, does work better from the ground.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2014, 06:25:00 PM »
Shooting at the hide of a deer is a great way to practice picking a spot on a live deer. Think about it, its hard to see a deer when they are laying down in the brush. All natural camo the best of all, and its hard to pick a spot on their hide.

I have found a Hide will last a long time a full season or even longer if you cover it to protect it from moisture.

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2014, 11:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by smokin joe:
I have noticed that at the end of the day as it is getting dark, picking a spot gets much harder. Maybe that is because my dawn/dusk vision is not as good as it was when I was younger. But, the distance at which I can clearly see a spot to pick gets shorter at dawn and dusk.
Me, too. Last year, I had to pass on several opportunities for that very reason.

I think picking a spot needs to be part of the routine of shooting. Just like finding your anchor point, completing the draw, releasing the string, etc. It is definitely something that needs to become ingrained.

Part of my preseason practice has, for the last few years at least, is to practice hitting spots on a blank target. A hay bale is perfect for that, but the deer hide would serve the same purpose. That really shows me if my bow is hitting where I'm looking. Once I'm satisfied that it is, the rest of my practice sessions are solely roving, shooting one arrow at a time and mixing up the distances and stances, and, I might add, with one chosen bow and arrow combination. That usually gives me great confidence when hunting season rolls around.

Offline USMC0311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2014, 12:20:00 AM »
You have to run a shot sequence every time you shoot an arrow. Draw anchor transfer, instead of aim small miss small. Tell yourself watch it to keep it. Your subconscience will center on the area you look at.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©