3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Armadillos  (Read 1384 times)

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Armadillos
« on: November 22, 2014, 06:39:00 PM »
So I was out this evening and didn't see squat but an armadillo that came within 5 yards while ground hunting.  After reading FWC's website I learned that they are not even native to FL.  I also read they eat eggs  http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=750139   Problem for turkey and quail.

I was really thinking about taking this one, but in the end I am not eating it.  Any other reasons to shoot on site.

Oh and what an ugly looking critter.
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Romans 10:14 KJV

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Armadillos
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »
I was taught from when I started to hunt around 5 or 6 with my dad, if your not going to eat it then leave it alone. I taught the same ethics to my son. Killing just because I can, I don't think so.

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 07:03:00 PM »
I understand not killing what you won't eat.... However if I kill a coyote, crow etc. I feel like I am saving a turkey, grouse or fawn. I hunt in upstate ny and the coyotes and crow are everywhere! I figure a lot of people hunt deer and turkey but VERY FEW HUNT coyotes & crows.

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 07:06:00 PM »
I agree up to a point.  Coyotes are a huge problem and I will take the opportunity if given the chance.  I don't believe the guys are eating the pythons down in the everglades after they are killed, but they are another huge invasive species that are decimating deer and other game.

Can't say that about the armadillo though.  They are an invasive species and like to destroy lawns, gardens, and peoples foundations of homes, but out in the woods besides the egg issue are they a threat.  I don't know that's why I am asking.  I let the little guy go today.
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 07:29:00 PM »
I've heard they carry leprosy! that is enough for me not to bother with them!

Bisch

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 07:34:00 PM »
I also have a hard time shooting just to kill something any more.  Not saying it is bad, but as I get older, I am not into it.  OK, if I see a field of ground squirrels or a river of carp, I rescind my last statement.

ChuckC

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 07:35:00 PM »
A lot of people shoot them that are not hunters. I know several that live in LA that hate what they do to the shrubbery around their homes.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 07:40:00 PM »
Where do you draw the line on what animal is worthy of living or dying?  What's your criteria?

Would you kill a fly or a mosquito?

Just wondering out loud...   :dunno:
Lon Scott

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 08:19:00 PM »
Really didn't want this post to turn into a moral type deal.  Sorry if bothered some.  I just wanted to see if there were other negatives about this 4 legged critter.  If not I will most likely leave them alone, especially with the leprosy, which is true.  Problem is I think you have to ingest the meat or mess with its organs, not sure but that's what I have heard.

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 08:34:00 PM »
I don't really mind killing things I won't eat, raccoon, coyote, crow, etc. But out in the bush an armadillo kill is just a lost arrow at best (I'm not keep one that "could" have leprosy). The wood folks use to make baskets out of their shells and stuff, haha. Around my house, yes they dig up my beds and it annoys me. If I ever plant something expensive and it happens to kill it I wouldn't be above shooting it. Its up to you. Think HH shot bald eagles..
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline DDawg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 08:49:00 PM »
As a general  rule I don't  kill something I won't eat... But I will shoot a coyote on sight!    :archer2:
Chuck Norris had a Grizzly Bear rug in his room...The Bear wasn't dead,  just to afraid to move...
PBS Associate Member
60" , 45# Holm-Made River Runner

Offline wscruggs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »
I shoot them just like I do coyotes or wild pigs.  Just a nuisances animal.

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 09:31:00 PM »
Not trying to rationalize killing, the older I get the more it bothers me, that said nothing goes to waste in nature. If I take a squirrel, woodchuck, crow or coyote etc. and leave it, I go back in two days it's gone. Seems like grouse, pheasants, rabbits and woodcock are not seen like when I was a kid. Really think "egg eaters" and environment are the problem. This is a good discussion to have...

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 10:38:00 PM »
Random killing of armadillos or coyotes is doing nothing to control their populations.  All you are doing is expelling your own blood lust.  Armadillos are not anywhere near the nest predators that coons, opossums, skunks, etc are.  Do you kill them on sight?

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2014, 12:07:00 AM »
I have trapped 37 armadillos in my yard the past two years. Shot everyone in the trap. Everything else I caught got a pass.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2014, 12:19:00 AM »
They destroy my yard, can potentially cripple a horse or cow with their holes, and they make fun targets when I need to "expell my own bloodlust" as someone stated. They're a nuisance and I feel great satisfaction when I remove one from the earth. Same as I do when I swat a fly or shoot a carp.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2014, 06:11:00 AM »
Sounds like you didn't feel compelled to kill him so you didn't. Hawks kill a bunch of turkeys and other game and nobody is worried about them.

If they're legal to shoot, do what you can live with. Shoot on sight? I reserve that for lethal threats.

Offline JJY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2014, 12:46:00 PM »
Hawks and all raptors are a federally protected species, armadillos are not so not exactly a fair comparison. I know alot of wildlife managers and farmers/ranchers who worry/dislike raptors for the damage they can do to what ever it is they are trying to manage/raise. Just not much they can do about them without severe penalty.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2014, 12:54:00 PM »
Armadillos dig up yards, gardens, etc. looking for worms, their main diet.  As I remember it, they don't have teeth.  Actually, they aren't bad eating.  My grandmother wanted an armadillo shell purse, so we caught one, killed it, skinned it out and ate it.  They don't see well, but have good noses.  They make excellent survival food.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2014, 02:03:00 PM »
We have removed many natural predators and need to take their place. All creatures need to be kept in a healthy balance.

I've joked that 'possums are so ugly nothing wants to eat them... so God designed that they should walk out in front of cars at night.

"let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."

Eating is not the only legitimate reason for killing.

JMO
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©