3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bowhunting while going through the grieving process  (Read 848 times)

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowhunting while going through the grieving process
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2014, 02:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by frassettor:
I appreciate all of the replies, thank you. I always put my priorities 1st.

God
Family
Archery
Somewhere in there you left out Eating  .       ;)

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2014, 02:13:00 PM »
I love you brother!

No advice,just caring.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2014, 03:01:00 PM »
My wife has cancer, has been fighting it for 14 years now. Three days ago she had major surgery again. We are still in hospital, me sleeping on a chair.
What we most want is to go home and do normal stuff,. Pet the dog, cook our own food, go for a walk, and yes maybe shoot a few targets. Habits and hobbies  can be therapeutic, give a break from being absorbed in tragedy around the clock. These things have become so much more valuable, less taken for granted.
Wish you Peace.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2014, 03:09:00 PM »
Prayers to you and your family. May you find comfort in God

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2014, 03:56:00 PM »
Lost my wife carol to pancreatic  cancer 3/12years ago !  I could not go into the woods  fish or anything for 2 years . My best friend left me . Pryor to that 2/12  years of just wanting to be with her during treatments . I didn't care . Just wanted to be with my baby . Time   Time.  It takes time and healing from god.  . I posted on some sites  that thank god I have archery to get me thru all this hell . I can go into the woods now and hunt without crying and going home.  Sorry for the rant
Dan Breen

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2014, 04:07:00 PM »
Wow. This is such a powerf thread. My family was struck with a horrendous tragedy about 10 months ago. The anxiety that resulted from it was almost unbearable at times. Yes faith gets you through and to know that you are never really alone even though it feels that way. It actually helped me to be in the tree. And to do things even if you really don't feel like it. Acceptance is  very important. Not sure if any of this will help you but things do get easier with time. God bless you and your family.  Bill

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2014, 04:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Izzy:
I am sorry to hear of your troubles but it appears that you've been well advised by some fine tg'ers. Best wishes to you Buddy.
Prayers up for you and yours, that you get through these difficult times!

Bisch

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2014, 05:04:00 PM »
Not having been through anything like that I don't have any words on how to overcome it. But others here seem to have suffered through things of their own and I hope their advice can provide some comfort.  

In the meantime, I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers and hope that time will lessen the pain and allow you to find joy again.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2014, 05:28:00 PM »
I lost my brother in the middle of hunting season last year......it was a trying time. As difficult as it is you have to move forward, it takes time. Shooting and hunting/time in the woods will help heal some of it, but there will always be stuff in your head that will slow the healing. My thoughts are with you at this time   :pray:  Have faith!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2014, 07:54:00 PM »
We are all conected through our archery and bowhunting here. After loosing my wife of 24 years, I found out we are not only connected through joy, but also through our collective pain. Since then I have decided to live on for the both of us. My days are full. Like others have said, bowhunting may not be able to treat our grief, but it did seem to deflect some of the negative aspect for me.

I have hunted solo on many extended trips over the years, but I did not hunt solo during the first few years after Paula's death. Hunting alone should help recharge my spirits, not be used as an escape from lifes pains. I knew too well the mental stress side of an extended solo hunt, and knew it was no place to be during my state of depression. Stay engaged with friends and family, just like you have done with this thread. Mike

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2014, 09:41:00 PM »
More than enough advice.  Awesome to see your priorities accurate.  We do live in a truly broken/fallen world so things are "out-of-joint."  Pain, depression, and grief is real.  Your experience is not unusual. Have had our share and 3 years in to the most painful thing I have ever experienced (child issue).  Give yourself plenty of grace and time.  No surprise to God- He promises to sustain you.

Dan in KS. . .  w prayers for you friend.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2014, 10:19:00 PM »
Been there done that-in a 2 year span, my father, my uncle, my son, a dear friend.  I spent a lot of time on stand with tears falling from a very heavy heart-no bows being drawn.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2014, 10:47:00 PM »
Richard,
             Looks like you have opened up a sounding board, maybe not so unorthodox after all right.

No one here knows exactly what you and your wife are going through, nor do we need to. That is both of your business. It sounds like something very life changing, and isn't that what life is about, dealing with the changes.

I am not going to get preachy on you but I do know that when you fall back on God and say "Here you go buddy, help me out because I am not handling this to well." you can let it go and start living your life again.

As far as getting back to shooting again and feeling that thrill of watching an arrow slice through the air.....you will no when you are ready.

Don't write things off, we aren't fortune tellers and a good thing we aren't. All things are possible......

Good Shooting,
                                                                  Craig

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2014, 11:01:00 PM »
Prayers sent for you and yours.  Some insightful thoughts above to help you.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2014, 09:49:00 AM »
I am praying for you this morning.

As I walked back to my truck alone last Saturday evening, at the end of the hunt the loss of my Dad hit me as it often does at the end of the season.

He wasn't perfect, but neither am I. I miss him very, very much during October, November. He introduced me to bow hunting and I never feel more connected to him than when I am in the woods.

I sincerely hope it gets better for you,
Gary
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2014, 10:06:00 AM »
Your 1, 2 and 3 are in perfect order Brother. Am praying for you and your family to have strength and to be able to find the good from your situation.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2014, 10:11:00 AM »
Saw this on FB and thought of you. Might be a comforting thought so I thought I would pass it along.

"Grief is the last act of love we have to give to those we loved. Where there is deep grief, there was great love".
The best things in life....aren't things!

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2014, 10:49:00 AM »
Vey well said, Bill. I have thought along those lines, but was not eloquent enough to communicate it.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2014, 01:47:00 PM »
The only reason I kept hunting, instead of giving up, when the hardest time of my life came was because those who cared strongly encouraged me not to give up the things I love to do.  So, I kept going.  Not much, or often but every once in a while.  There was no fun in it, only a muscle memory.  At the time, there was no fun in anything, though.  Only by God's grace and my trust in Jesus is the reason I've seen light on the other side of that dark place.
Now, some years later, I still don't hunt like I once did but I look forward to it when I can.  The blackpowder bug is starting to come back and the thought of making a bow or two sits in the back of my mind, as well.  There is life but, as mentioned above, dealing with the causes of this trial is more important than time in the woods.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2014, 02:13:00 PM »
Another Vote for God. He can get you through anything, just lean on Him. Jesus Christ is a Personal Friend of mine, and I lay a   LOT   of my Troubles and Trials at the Foot of the Cross. He will Grant You   HIS   Peace, which really goes beyond our Human Understanding. He Saved me when I was in a Deep,   DEEP   Hole with some very Bad Thoughts because I could see No Light at the End of the Tunnel. Jesus showed me different.
 I don't know what you are going through, but Prayer and God   WILL   get you through it! I will Pray for You and Yours, and God Bless You and Your Family Too!!   :thumbsup:  Chin Up My Friend!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©