3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I Passed A ten Yard Shot At A Mature, Lone Doe  (Read 663 times)

Offline The Ole' Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
I Passed A ten Yard Shot At A Mature, Lone Doe
« on: November 23, 2014, 07:40:00 PM »
A few weeks back, I passed a ten  yard shot on a nice, fat, mature doe. It was early in the bow season and I felt I could hold out for a little while hoping to fill my tag with any one of the nice young bucks I had on my trail cameras.  Well, here it is gun season and I have yet to fill any tag let alone my archery tag.  Anyone in the same situation as this ole' bowhunter?

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I Passed A ten Yard Shot At A Mature, Lone Doe
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 07:54:00 PM »
It has been said to never pass up a shot on the first day that you would take on the last day or you may have tag soup.  And yes it's happened to me in the past. Good luck ole' bowhunter.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 07:56:00 PM »
I'm trying my best not to fill my last buck tag before Faith gets to me for the month of December...LOL

But, to answer your question, yes....been there, done that.  Good luck with the rest of your season!
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 08:07:00 PM »
Sign me up. Got tons of does almost every night offering me shots. But I have three buck in my area over 140 class size. I've yet to draw one close enough and don't know if I will before the end of the year when our season ends
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 08:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kamm1004:
Sign me up. Got tons of does almost every night offering me shots. But I have three buck in my area over 140 class size. I've yet to draw one close enough and don't know if I will before the end of the year when our season ends
That's the story of my season. I have filled my doe tag, but have let lots of bucks pass, waiting on one of the good ones.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 08:15:00 PM »
That seems to happen to me more times than not!  My wife and I really like a full freezer of venison, and by passing on some pretty nice deer it sometimes remains empty.  I rationalize that my season would be over if I shot something early. Not sure how smart I am though by stretching it out into frigid temps with blowing snow!     :knothead:

Bernie

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 08:18:00 PM »
I had made up my mind to attempt a harvest of the first legal deer that that offered a possibilty. This one posed at 20 yards and I just couldn't resist.

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 08:26:00 PM »
Yep, I'm in that boat right now.  Passed on several gimme chances early in the season (under 15 yards) then proceeded to miss a nice 9 pt hitting a branch I did not see.  Then with my vacation time approaching actually ending today I passed on a two more opportunities.  Today I pulled a camera and have 3 different bucks coming in so I think I might hold out longer....try for my first trad buck.  I've always said that I'm lucky to get 2 really good shooting opportunities per year but this year has been exceptional.  Hopefully I won't be eating my tag but we do have until the end of December...

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 08:28:00 PM »
It has happened to me a few times...but I try to harvest the big does early in the season so I am not pressured later on during primetime. But I am weak..lol...and passing up a mature doe at ten yards is very hard for me too do! Wish you the best for the rest of the season.
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline Got2strum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 08:47:00 PM »
I always say I'm not going to wait and take the first opportunity I can at a nice deer. Then I always pass on that opportunity anyway hoping for something better. After a miss at a dandy buck on the last morning of PA's archery season, I watched two doe pass barely 15yrds broadside in front of me that evening. I just watched and let 'em walk hoping that big boy would be in tow...he wasn't...    :banghead:

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 09:11:00 PM »
Your delima brings 2009 flashing back for me. I have dreamed of elk since the mid 80's. September 09 I finally went with some great friends. On day two I passed at 12 yard broadside shot on a feeding cow. I am still kicking myself. I learned something that day.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 09:41:00 PM »
I killed three cows before I ever got a chance at a bull. I live in elk country so I get to hunt them every year and I like EATING elk. Nothing legal gets a pass.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 09:51:00 PM »
Unless I know a buck is trailing her or she has fawns with her, a doe doesn't get a free pass.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 10:32:00 PM »
For me its all about the meat and hunting. I only let a doe pass if Its my last tag in my pocket and more than a week left in the season...otherwise arrow is on the way.
 I don't like my freezer empty and I don't like being in the. House during hunting season.

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2014, 10:57:00 PM »
I'm wearing that same collar right now, as a matter of fact. To make matters worse, the freezer is out of venison and our gun season just started. But then again, I've ended my season early a couple of times in the past and was just miserable the rest of the Fall. "Tag soup" isn't so bad once you get used to it!

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 01:15:00 AM »
My guidelines for what I will shoot change on a daily basis, lol.  I don't go by the rule "never pass up a shot on the first day that you would take on the last day".  More like don't pass up a shot on the first day that you will regret not taking the last day.  Slightly different.  I give a lot of does a pass early in the season, hoping that they will be bait for the rut.  Then I shoot them later on if I have the freezer space.

Offline turkey65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 05:33:00 AM »
I'm in a different situation,I live in a gated community and we have a management control bow hunt.The Idea is to shoot the breeders,this season I haven't had a good shot at a mature does but I've passed on younger deer at least eight,we also have to shoot a doe before we can kill a buck,of course I've had many chances to shoot a buck.Late season no passes.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 06:41:00 AM »
Gambling experts will tell you not to risk it if you can't stand to lose it...   ;)   That doesn't mean you (and I) wouldn't like to have it back, though.

Good thoughts.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 06:59:00 AM »
I'm in the same boat....pretty cocky early on, passed on several "pretty good" bucks and countless does. Oh well.....I have the entire month of December yet, and one of my sons killed a does a week ago, so it will be ok.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2014, 08:30:00 AM »
A bird in the hand is the same as a deer in the hand. I love venison. I'd choose a big buck over a doe or small buck anyday but am thrilled to take either.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©