3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone want to hog hunt east tx? (4/22-4/26) already making plans for next year!  (Read 4141 times)

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Made it to the power line and Darren spotted a coyote as I was still getting up the bank. We walked a mile or so down the line and didn't find much fresh sign so we headed back. On the way back up river we stoped and checked another spot of interest and Darren made a new friend!      no fresh sign there so we kept making our way back up river. To our surprise we found the gator in the exact same spot and got a little video footage. Then found another beauty swimming the river   . Eventually made it back and loaded the boat and drove back out and around to another entry point. Walked in a half mile or so and with about 30 min of light left we walked up on a good sized boar in some thick cover. To thick to get to him without spooking him or him smelling us. We waited patiently as he slowly came toward us and we got a good look at him but no shot. Way to thick and he knew something was up. As he moved off to out right trying to get down wind we parralled him a ways until he moved off into the thicket. So instead of educating him more we slipped out and headed for the truck. A good day!!! But I must be completely honest. About 60-70 percent of the time we were sloshing threw flooded timber and trails up to our ankles and deeper on some spots. And the Mosquitos were TERRIBLE!!! We both forgot our repellant!! There is plenty of dry ground to be hunted but you ARE going to have to get wet at some point! And their is more rain in the forecast! A good pair of rubber boots is highly recommended and well as Mosquito repellant!!! I'm hoping Darren will add more details later!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
Great pics CG.... being from La, all of this is very standard fare for free wild chase non-baiting hog hunting. I wouldn't let any of it deter anyone. Do suggest a thermocell unit with backup cartridges and pads, and the hip mount. As usual, just watch the wind. Another note for newbies is watch those bow mounted quivers, any bright fletching can flag skittish hogs, especially on a close draw. I always attach mine behind my back somehow during high hunt times. Bows are always moving, and so is a loaded quiver with bright arrows.

You should post pics of the landscape if you get time, I enjoyed all your others. That boat launch deal is gettin it done! LOL.
Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

Offline Trond

• Trad Bowhunter
Please keep us informed, guys. Pulled my bow against moose at 15 yards yesterday, knowing all too well I can't release my arrows. Shot the hell out of the next stump I came across...
Happy hunting, guys!
BearPaw Cayuga 66", 37# @29"
Samick Red Fox 64", 35# @28"
"The more you work, the luckier you get." Byron Ferguson

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Is that a baby copperhead in his hand   :scared:  I know that second one is
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
Can't here about y'alls journey. And I've gotta say.  Hog huntin is better than deer huntin. And I love deer huntin.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Danny - that is a baby copperhead. It wasn't very happy that I momentarily hindered it's freedom. The colors on both were stunning and maybe one day they'll be big enough to grace the back of a bow. The large one was only about 24" and wouldn't have yielded a whole bow limb. The little one obviously needs a few years. It doesn't show up well in the photo but the little one's tail tip was bright neon yellow. This is the first baby copperhead I've seen, so that may be normal.

Randy pretty well summed up our day but I'll add my impressions. Most of my boat time over the years has been in a canoe, so I was a bit apprehensive when Randy said we could launch the boat without backing the truck down the muddy ramp. I'm no stranger to to redneck ingenuity but always appreciate learning a new skill form others.

I really enjoyed our boat ride on the river. It was muddy, filled with critters and scenery and took me back to my youth when we would walk/float down creeks and drainage ditches to handfish for carp and catfish. Turtles and snakes were always a part of the equation, but we never ran into any gators in IL. I know it is old hat for many, but sharing the same hunting space as gators is just plain cool. East Texas isn't overrun with them, but knowing you can see one will add an extra element of adventure to our outings from now on. It will also make me think a little harder about which holes to jump in to cool off as the weather heats up!

The hog we saw was my first wild hog sighting ever. I've hunted them in GA with Gregg Dudley and Chris Surtees on a St. Jude Hunt and have been on several hunts with Randy and a couple of my own at Old Sabine. I've seen plenty of sign, but just no hogs. I have to tell you that when this guy grunted and snorted at us last night, it was more exciting than playing peek-a-boo with the gator or trying to get the baby copperhead to let me make friends. It was really cool that we didn't bust him out and that he worked at trying to wind us. We grunted, snorted and even squealed just a little bit at him to try to get him within bow range. We're sure it was a boar because at his closest (20-25 yds), I could see the silhouette of the parts that make a hog a boar. He was fairly large and solid black. I raised hogs as a young guy and I'd guess him definitely over 150 and shy of 200. The brush he was in was just too thick to get an arrow through and he wasn't coming any closer to verify what we were. I guess that's how the big ones get that way.

All in all it was a great day! We saw a hog, a gator, a coyote, gar out the wazoo, a swamp rabbit, a couple of copperheads, all kinds of birds and a bazillion mosquitoes. When I told my wife about the day she laughed and said I'd spent the day at the East Texas Zoo. I'm really looking forward to getting together with the guys coming on this hunt and hope we get into some good action. We do need some diligent preparation, however.

MOSQUITOES - were and will be miserable. I am planning on having 2 Thermacells with me and that is NOT to give someone my "spare". I've been going out to the WMA when it was cold and this is my first trip in over a month. Both Randy and I forgot to bring anything to repel those bloodthirsty creatures and they did their best to drain us dry. I am also going to look for a couple of camp solutions as well.

WATER - as Randy said earlier, we will get wet. Plenty of dry spots to hunt, but a lot of wet places to gain access.

POISON IVY - We noticed yesterday that it was really hitting it's stride in a few areas. It doesn't seem to be everywhere though, so probably isn't any worse than anywhere else.

FIRE ANTS - If you haven't been around them, they can be a little intense. Again, not a huge issue if you look where you stop to stand and where you put your tarp or tent. They defend their mounds in a very painful way.

SNAKES - honestly a non-issue. Just like any other locale that has them, just don't blindly stick your hands into unseen places and you'll be fine. We traveled quite a ways yesterday and the only two we saw were the ones in the pictures above.

Can't wait guys and thanks again Randy for getting this hunt organized!

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
Baby copperheads do have a sulfur colored tip to their tail.  Otherwise look like a miniture big one.
Don't know if I'll bring my 10' canoe or not after the gator sighting.  
Bright fletching should not be an issue since you're wearing blaze orange anyway.
This should be a good time.  Sometimes you just take the shot you're given.  After hunting Granger for years seeing hogs that are not at a gallop will be a treat.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Your not required to wear orange since there isn't any other seasons open on the wma and it's archery only. So it's a personal preference. And there isn't any way on earth I would have tried that shot yesterday! Way to many branches in the way to make it anywhere near ethical! I'm gung-ho not stupid! Lol   :biglaugh:

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hmmm, Granger WMA/PHL requires it all the time.  Cool, I'll bring some along just for Gee Whiz.  Hope to have me orange crested arrows finished.  Need some orange LW feathers.
Yeah, sometimes the shoot just is not there.
Also, make sure to spray my clothes down good.
Need to lean towards having my Big River ready to hunt.

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
One thing I was surprised by was not seeing any ticks thus far. I think I'll still treat my clothes with permethrin just in case.

Randy, did you happen to get any on you last year while hunting the WMA?

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I'm not a participant, but following closely.  Two things prompt my posting.  First off is my appreciation of the photos in the scouting report.  

The other thing was the mention of fletching colors spooking the hogs.  Do they see color?  I'm accustomed to deer and elk that don't seem to have color awareness.  Except for turkeys, I like very bright fletch colors.

Wish I could be there, but it's not in the cards
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
Monterey, when you're all camo'd up, on the ground stalking wild molested hogs with a super heightened sense of awareness...every bit helps. The bow moves so much as you're moving around.
I drew down slowly on a hog once with his head IN a stumphole, and I swear he still saw the bow move with a quiver a bright white fletches. He bolted to say the least. Last time I did that!  
But that's me....
Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I have been asked to make a presentation at a conference thru my work and I regret I will not be able to make this hunt.  You fellas go get'em..
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
My understanding of a hog's vision is that they can see colors  but not in the same way humans do. They are dichromatic while we are trichromatic. They cannot see the depth of color like us or the minor differences.

Like Mark has alluded to, the big factor in bright fetching (which I also like) is that when moving, it is very noticeable because of the contrast.

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Sorry to hear that dragonheart. I was hoping to get to meet you and pick your brain on possibly buying some land in your area. Hope we get a chance down the road.

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
No ticks at all so far. Nock on wood. I know they are here but guess I've been lucky. We do a lot of camping in Oklahoma in the summer and the ticks are terrible! Hogs do see color. Red,blue, and greens. But in different wavelengths like Darren said. That's why you can hunt them with red and green lights. But I can tell you that a mature boar knows when there's a light on. Don't ask me how, they just do!!!!

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Movement and scent are the saviour of many a hog.  No ticks is a blessing, got ticks the size of hamsters at Granger.

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Great Photos. I will be watching for the hunt stories.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Down to one week left! Anyone getting excited yet?! We will be dealing with some wet conditions. Forecast shows a lot of rain this week and a chance of rain next Tuesday. I'll keep everyone updated as best I can when more of the forcast becomes available.

Offline Wallydog

• Trad Bowhunter
Were leaving Sat morning. 943 miles so that puts us there on Sunday. We may stay at Tyler State Campground if its too wet at OSB. Randy, PM me your cell number please. Ill call you and you will then you will have my cell number. I sure hope we dont kill all the hogs before ya all arrive. Lol!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©