3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone want to hog hunt east tx? (4/22-4/26) already making plans for next year!  (Read 4128 times)

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
Getting antsy about pics.

:campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Wallydog

• Trad Bowhunter
Randy took a bunch of pics. Ill bet he's waiting until he has time for a long download time.

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
I'm back! And I'm fixin to take a dang nap! Had some great action the last couple of days. Not gonna go into to much detail cause I would rather the guys tell their own stories. Wally is right. It's going to take a little while to get my pics loaded and I promise I'll tell my adventure from my point of view with lots of pics.
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
Just made it home last night. All I can say is what a great bunch of guys.
Here is the group. L-R Wally, Jim, Dan, Darren, Jon, Randy,Marty

[/URL]

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
I had to leave Saturday mid-afternoon and have been running since. It has taken me a while to get all the pics from phone to Photobucket. I think i may have been the only one to not see a hog, so I'll let pictures tell most of the story from my perspective. I will say that like all group hunts I've been on, this was a blast and the guys were great. As we were sharing about past hunts, I realized through Trad Gang I've been on group hunts for deer, rabbits, squirrels, elk and now hogs. Between these group hunts and the St. Jude auction, I've been blessed to hunt in 7 different states. TG has been an awesome resource for making friends and exploring hunting opportunities across the country. Thanks to all who have been a part of that!

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
First of all, we ate well. I brought some chili that took me 2 days to cook.

Marty brought some Copper river salmon that he and his family caught. He grilled some for us along with potatoes and onions. We added some chicken-of-the-woods (sulphur shelf) mushrooms I'd found in the swamp. Marty also treated us to some different flavored smoked salmon. I was too busy eating that to think about taking a pic.

Also no pics of Jon's excellent breakfast of bacon, pancakes and eggs from his own chickens or Kristie's incredible fajita dinner. Thanks!!!

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Wally, please pass along my condolences to Jim and his family for their loss. But I know they are also celebrating a new body and eternal life for their loved one. I really enjoyed getting to know you guys and Dan since I grew up in IL and we have trod some of the same ground.

Here is Jim and Wally doing a little pickin' and grinnin' while we sang along to some good gospel and bluegrass tunes.

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
I cannot thank Randy enough for putting this together.
The campsite was great.

[ [/URL]

[/URL]

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Even though the entire WMA has been wet for a couple months, there were still a few "dry-ish" spots where we found some good sign.

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting a swamp can be difficult. Finding the beauty of God's creation in one is very easy.

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Swamp beauty cont.

There were many other flowers that I didn't get pictures of or the pics didn't turn out.

Offline Wallydog

• Trad Bowhunter
Great pics Marty and Darren! That Copper River salmon was awesome. The chili was great too. It was a lot of fun to hunt and eat great food with like minded archers. This was my first ever group hunt with all traditional archers and it was a lot of fun!

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Fungi forever....

The one directly above is the chicken-of-the-woods which I easily spotted from a couple hundred yards away in knee-deep water. I only took the top half due to the bottom half being submersed when the river got out of its banks. I'd estimate I put about 10-12 lbs in my pack. Randy took a little home, we ate some at camp and we've had 3 meals off it at home already. Probably have about 3 lbs left.

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
When I arrived after introductions and unpacking we went on an evening hunt on the upper end of the WMA. Dan, Darren and I hiked up the power line and then worked through some of the thick stuff. Once we got off the power line I was really glad to have a compass as to me everything looked the same. We found where some pigs had been rooting but seen no pigs.

[/URL]

[/URL]

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Fungi cont....

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
When we got back to camp Jon had arrived. The next morning it was raining so we hung out and got acquainted while Jon fixed us breakfast.

[/URL]

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
We had a few friends show up.

Some variety of water snake.

A turtle crossing the road. We stopped to help him across so as not to get smushed.

I've only run into 6 or 7 cottonmouths, but in my experience they've all been somewhat ill-tempered. This one broke that rule and I had to poke it with tip of my bow to get it to move. I'm guessing it was lethargic while digesting a recent meal. I had to poke it 3 times to get it out of my way.

Even the ubiquitous fire ants had grown weary of the deluge. This little mound was built on a log a couple feet off the water.

Also saw a swamp rabbit, gar rolling in the river, a couple grey squirrels hopping from tree to tree above the water, frogs and tadpoles by the thousands and Dan saw a good-sized gator, but couldn't get a pic. He does have a very cool picture of a couple of our wild hunting companions, but I'll let him post and show it. All kinds of birds, %@#&! ticks and, of course, SKEETERS!

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks for sharing, especially the photos.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
It was difficult to look at these burls and not imagine what kind of gorgeous veneers could be had from them.

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
The Intrepid Capt. Randy and crew motoring up river to a reported dry spot. It really wasn't very dry - LOL!

4/5 of the landing party on one of the very few patches of dry ground. Randy, Jon, Marty, Dan.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©