3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone want to hog hunt east tx? (4/22-4/26) already making plans for next year!  (Read 4130 times)

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
Thursday morning was a good hike through a flooded section. We were thinking that we would find some dry ground in the section between Long lake and Black lake. But it was all flooded. So we hiked back to camp and had lunch and planned an evening hunt to the west end of the WMA. Randy,Dan, Jon, and I went there and hiked down the power line so we could hunt the wind back to the parking area. Randy and Dan worked down one side Jon and I took the other side. We seen a lot more sign but no pigs.

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
Thursday night Christy came out and cooked us a great dinner. Thank you Christy

[/URL]

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
Friday morning like Jon described we hiked to the west boundary of the WMA and started to work down the fence. We had not gone very far and we ran into a fairly deep channel of water. Which we worked our way across. After we seen the pigs we wandered around chasing them and to tell the truth I had no real idea of exactly where we were at. With the overcast sky and the flat terrain I was never real sure which direction I was going without looking at my compass. We finally came to a fence which we thought was the boundary fence the only problem was we should have been on the north side of it and we were on the south side of it. Anyway we crossed it and followed it back to the ATV trail and hunted back to the trucks.

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
By the time we got back to camp Jim and Wally had already left for home. It was great to have met them. Friday evening Darren and I Went up the road a ways and did a short hike to the east. Seen some sign but no pigs. We got back to camp early so i could get the salmon on the grill and Darren could get the mushrooms on the grill.
[ [/URL]

Copper river red salmon with an orange marmalade & bourbon glaze
 [/URL]

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
Saturday morning Randy brought his boat and we went up the river to where we heard there was dry land. We did find some dry land but did not see any pigs or much sign.
Captain Randy
 [/URL]

On the way back to the boat Darren said we had to have the across the river shoot.

[ [/URL]
 [/URL]
The results no arrows were lost to the river.
[ [/URL]

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
Saturday evening Darren had to leave and Jon, Dan and Randy went to hunt the feeders so I headed back over to the west end again to see if I could get more familiar with the area. Found out the fence Jon and I had found the previous trip was not the boundary fence. There are some old fences inside the WMA. this is about a 2 1/2' tree.
 [/URL]
 I worked back and forth until it was dark then hiked the ATV trail back to the parking area. seen a lot of sign but no pigs. But i did get a plan on how to hunt it Sunday morning.

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
Sunday morning we hiked back up the power line and worked in until we hit the main slough. We split up and then started slowly working back toward the parking area. I was following the edge edge of the slough and Jon and Darren were to my left. After a couple of hours Jon and i meet back up where the slough met back up to the trail. We went a couple of hundred yards then the slough went back towards the boundary so we split up about 30 yards apart and started working down the edge of it.  

[/URL]

We were slowing working our way down a little peninsula when i seen a pig in front on Jon I waved at him and pointed to the pig I could see that he was putting the stalk on it and coming to full draw when he shot I heard his arrow hit a some brush and then there were pigs running all over. I had one stop about 20 yards away and I took a shot and I hit him but I was a little high and back. The pig ran about 20 yards before the he broke the arrow and it flee out. I had got complete penetration as he was bleeding out of both sides. Randy  came back and we tracked the pig for about 3 hours until we lost the trail. The blood trail was not real good to start with and just kept getting thinner to the point of disappearing. I really appreciated Jon and Randy working on the blood trail.

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
I cannot thank Randy enough for taking the time to put this together. Jim, Wally, Darren, Dan, Jon it was a real pleasure meeting and hunting you. This is the first time for me going on a group hunt and all I can say is that it far exceeded my expectations. Got to break bread with some great people and got to hunt hogs in east Texas the rest was just icing on the cake.

Other than my bad shot placement and not finding the pig (all my fault) it was a great trip.

Thanks to all of you.
I am definitely wanting to do this again next year.
If you PM me your email address I will send pictures.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
Good stuff this. Please keep me in the loop when the next one is planned.  
 :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Great to read again as I sit in North Carolina.

:campfire:      :campfire:      :campfire:

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Just Catching up now. Great Photos and looks like it was  a great Time!

Thank you for sharing.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline BigErn

• Trad Bowhunter
Great story and photos!Really enjoyed them!
                                Ernie
You can lead a human to knowledge, but you can't make him think!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©