3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deer cart ideas: swamp, dark, long walk  (Read 1231 times)

Offline shankspony

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deer cart ideas: swamp, dark, long walk
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2014, 02:25:00 PM »
Can I ask why you are not allowed to cut up or skin in the forest?

Here most of our hunting country isn't suitable for carts, so we would approach the situation in two ways. Either carry the animal whole by making it into a pack with its legs as the straps. It is amazing what kind of weight can be comfortably carried this way. Its far easier than dragging.

Or we would cut it into manageable pieces, even going as far as boning it out on the spot.

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2014, 03:00:00 PM »
Well this has been fun, I posted here  specifically knowing there's a large audience of do-it-yourselfers, craftsmen, etc with lots of interesting ideas.

I'm still thinking of rigging up packable wheels on one of my lighter lockons.

Similar to this Sherpa Game Cart conversion kit, but for a lockon, and without the extra metal brackets.

http://sherpahunting.com/summit_model.html

My priority is to eliminate that 2nd trip in/out. These are just +/- 100# deer field dressed, and throwing some wheels and simple pull tongue on a good lockon is certainly feasible.

A lightweight system like this would let you hunt/scout/haul freely as needed, without a heart attack to get the deer out. My current Windwalker stand and 4 LW sticks with flat rope totals about 11#, and is tight and narrow for getting through tight thickets, etc. I like to ramble and change plans often depending on what I'm seeing.
Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

Offline w8n4rut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2014, 03:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by shankspony:
Can I ask why you are not allowed to cut up or skin in the forest?

Here most of our hunting country isn't suitable for carts, so we would approach the situation in two ways. Either carry the animal whole by making it into a pack with its legs as the straps. It is amazing what kind of weight can be comfortably carried this way. Its far easier than dragging

Or we would cut it into manageable pieces, even going as far as boning it out on the spot.
Gives new meaning to "Piggy back" ride !!   :biglaugh:

Offline donnyjack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2014, 03:59:00 PM »
Hi Mark, Don here, hope your still doing the Bluegrass thing.
I ran into a guy on an elk hunt in Idaho a couple of years ago that had made a cart with two long poles and a wheel like a  wheelbarrow.  He had his stand mounted on the poles and his camping gear on top of that.  He had a strap attached to other end of the poles from the wheel and he put that across his shoulders and held the poles in his hand like you would do a wheelbarrow but he was pulling the rig along behind him.  He told me he had packed out several elk on it through the years and the single wheel worked better on the mountain trails than a two wheel cart.  I wish had had gotten a picture as I've thought about building one to use out west but have never got around to it. Anyway thought it might give you an idea of something that might work for you.
Try to make one of the LTB shoots this spring would like to visit with you again.
DJ
Love Life, Bowhunt, Flyfish, and Play a Martin Guitar                        :thumbsup:

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2014, 04:24:00 PM »
Craig, in many states we are indeed allowed to bone the animal out and carry out just the meat, or the quarters.  Here in WI the Game Wardens don't trust us to report that we killed one of the Kings deer and demand that we turn it in whole for inspection.  

At least we have more than one day to do so.  When I lived in Illinois many moons ago, it was required that you turn in the deer that day, and the check stations were not open late, meaning if you were not able to find the deer until after they closed, you risked getting a ticket.  

A friend indeed was issued a ticket for that very thing, turning the animal in the next morning bright and early.
CHuckC

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2014, 07:52:00 PM »
Hey Donnyjack, they used to make a game cart several years ago called the "mule" that sounds a lot like what you are describing.  A pal of mine said it was the best thing he had ever used to get deer out of a thick cut down with limbs, logs,etc.    Maybe somebody else remembers them and could give you more info than me.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2014, 08:02:00 PM »
If I could post pics I would show how I modified an old Schwinn bike.  I put a 2X4 along the horizontal frame, fastened to the seat.  I put a large bolt thru that and bolted my tree stand to it.  When I hauled out deer, I would tie the fore legs over the head, and tie tha to the front forks.  Befor that I would pull the pelvic bone on to the seat.  I could push to the trail, and then ride it out.  It worked and VA whitetails were easy.  Two hunters could tie a stick on the handle bars and each push.  Easy
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2014, 08:13:00 PM »
Sweet deal Mark.  I'm confident that you could engineer something very similar for Sherby!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »
A pic of a 260 pound bear in a Jet Sled. These things work great, easy to pull loaded through the woods, they float if you need that crossing water and slide it in the back of your vehicle and everything is contained. That's the great Bowdoc in the background.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline PUDDLE JUMPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2014, 09:21:00 PM »
I have both carts and sled and if I had to go with one it would be a sled. The Viking sled is what I usually use and is pretty much indestructible.

I also have an ultra lite sled that I have had for years but never used. Can not remember the brand but was around $40 and might weigh a couple of pounds at most (Viking)?  Looks like it will hold up fairly well but nothing like the heavy one.

I like the carts when using horse trails or converted rail lines just not nearly as versatile.

I use a board and slide the deer into the back of my Jeep and no bloody mess.

Offline shankspony

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2014, 10:43:00 PM »
Thanks Chuck, Wow! sometimes i envy the fact your country values its game animals with rules to protect them. Maybe some go a little far though it seems?

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2014, 05:46:00 AM »
I have an 18 year old son   :bigsmyl:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mark Normand:
Well this has been fun, I posted here  specifically knowing there's a large audience of do-it-yourselfers, craftsmen, etc with lots of interesting ideas.

I'm still thinking of rigging up packable wheels on one of my lighter lockons.

Similar to this Sherpa Game Cart conversion kit, but for a lockon, and without the extra metal brackets.

http://sherpahunting.com/summit_model.html  

My priority is to eliminate that 2nd trip in/out. These are just +/- 100# deer field dressed, and throwing some wheels and simple pull tongue on a good lockon is certainly feasible.

A lightweight system like this would let you hunt/scout/haul freely as needed, without a heart attack to get the deer out. My current Windwalker stand and 4 LW sticks with flat rope totals about 11#, and is tight and narrow for getting through tight thickets, etc. I like to ramble and change plans often depending on what I'm seeing.
Mark...Please keep us posted with what you come up with.  I'm very interested in what you're talking about, I'm just not sure how to achieve it.  It sounds like you've got a good idea though.

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2014, 10:43:00 AM »
DT, I talked to the Sherpa guy last night, he's thinking of coming up with kits for popular lock on types for next year.

For us La hunters, we may have some relief coming. There was intent by our WLF dept to allow quartering of deer outside of mandatory check days, however the rules didn't get written that way this year. I just called my district office, and they won't allow it yet. So for now, I'm still on  the lock-on cart idea.
Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2014, 11:07:00 AM »
I have a game cart called the NXT Shot Versacart. After read an article on bow site a few years ago I purchased this cart. It is easily the best cart I've used.  Now if it's swamp or snow I use one of the kid's old plastic snow sleds - I've had good luck with that. They are really cheap and I don't worry about anybody stealing them.

I've never seen the Shappell Jet Sled before this thread. That sled looks like a heavier duty version of the kid's snow sled that I use. If I was dragging something big like a bear I would get one of those.

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2014, 11:09:00 AM »
What about carrying in a single wheel, axle, and some type of drill or screw in step/bowholder, saw blade, and plastic zip ties.  When you kill one, use the saw to cut two limbs or sapplings long enough and sturdy to make a cart.  Bore a hole through each one and insert the axle with the wheel between the two poles.  Use the zip ties to attach the stand in the middle for strength and carcass platform, even add a LW stick where necessary.  Load the deer, tie it on, and off you go wheelbarrow style, pulling would probably work better than pushing.  In my mind it resembles a one wheeled Bob's bike trailer.

I promise it makes sense in my head  :bigsmyl:

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2014, 11:13:00 AM »
Find the pic posted by frankwright ? on the 3rd page.  Two guys with a single wheel cart.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=120613;p=3

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2014, 11:28:00 AM »
str8jct, that is exactly why I posted here, ideas like that. I did have that in mind too. I think instead of boring a hole (elim the drill), just V-notch the sapling and tie in the axle. It's all about using what you have, we all carry a small limb saw.  I like your idea about ziptie in the stand!  I do have some very heavy duty zips that would work well. I'm still about two wheels and weight balance myself but this is good stuff and got me thinking of lots of options.

on that thread, look at that pic by VTer... beautiful!
Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2014, 12:26:00 PM »
Hey Str8jct, that is exactly what those "mule" game carts looked like. Do you know if those guys built theirs or were they purchased?
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2014, 12:37:00 PM »
SuperK, all I know is the caption says he saw those guys then built his own so I'm not sure of the make on the ones in the pic.

Mark, I don't see why the poles and 2 wheels wouldn't work.  As for VTer's set up...If you could weld some type of U bracket to the underside of the stand platform, run an axle thru it to mount wheels, then work up some kind of bracket for a handle to attach when needed.  Centering the deer may be problematic though.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©