3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Maryland Sika Deer  (Read 584 times)

Offline ChuckS

• Trad Bowhunter
Maryland Sika Deer
« on: November 24, 2014, 10:37:00 PM »
Could anyone with experience hunting Maryland Sika deer share some information on planning a d.i.y hunt.

I realize they are elusive little deer, and the odds of harvesting one, or seeing one would be rare on my first trip. However, "It wouldn't be the first time I hung around in a tree, acting like a nut and didn't see anything."
SHOOT-CAST-TALK...STRAIGHT!

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Maryland Sika Deer
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 10:56:00 PM »
Therma cell
Hip boots or chest waders
GPS
Have fun
Therma cell x3
I love Bow Hunting

Offline ChuckS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 11:08:00 PM »
Thanks for the tip.....would a kayak or canoe help me in getting away from other hunters?

Offline ChuckS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 11:11:00 PM »
As of right now, I'm looking at the two public areas mentioned on Maryland's Natural Res. site, or maybe the island with the little horses. Planning this hunt for 2015-16.

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 12:42:00 AM »
If you hunt fishing bay a yak or canoe will help you hit up some of the islands. But it also has walk in areas. Not a bunch of pressure durning bow but once muzz or gun season opens it get hammered on the public spots
I love Bow Hunting

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 07:24:00 AM »
I'll be watching this one.

I too would like to take this trip.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 07:28:00 AM »
I would as well.

ChuckC

Offline NittanyRider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 10:26:00 AM »
I had hoped to do a DIY sika hunt this fall.  It didn't work out for me this year, though.  Here are a few links to sites I found when I was researching the public hunting areas, seasons, licenses, etc. Good luck!

The Wallow (Sika forum)  

Assateague hunting regs

MD DNR Sika Info

Blackwater Refuge Hunting Info

Another MD DNR Sika page      

Whitetail and Sika Habitat Use on Assateague Island

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 04:51:00 PM »
Check out Blackwater!

Offline barebow1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 05:36:00 PM »
I would like to do this next fall also!

Offline barebow1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 05:37:00 PM »
I would like to do this next fall also!

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 06:51:00 PM »
X2 on Blackwater, check it out on Google Earth. This is also a trip I'd love to take in the future.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline ChuckS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 07:28:00 PM »
Are you allowed to camp on any of the public ground, and thanks for everyone's input.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 07:42:00 PM »
Camped at Taylor Family some years back and hunted Blackwater Fed Refuge.  Have to apply for a permit, but it's a minimal cost.

Lots of places to hunt.

I fortunately, shot a hind the first year there and then 2nd year, a fat spike....buddy shot a nice 5pt stag.

Went another year, saw nothing and it was DRY... no water to speak of.  The Sika are everywhere or anywhere...or nowhere!

Some of those links and some of the guys down there do very, very well...takes time to learn an area, just like other deer, but obviously, a blind hog can find a nut now and again for me to score 2 of 3 years blindfolded!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 08:36:00 PM »
There are no Sika deer left, stay home.    :biglaugh:

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »
I will not lie. It shocked the heck out of me on how many out of state lic plates I saw last time I was at black water
I love Bow Hunting

Offline ChuckS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 09:27:00 PM »
Yep! There no bucks left'n Ohio either....maybe a few spikers!

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2014, 06:17:00 AM »
Anywhere in southern Dorchester is likely to have good sika numbers. You'll have to scout on the fly because densities vary. But really any place that has water and Phragmites will have sika. And they are likely to show up anywhere. Definately get your Blackwater Permit. There's plenty of state land but best to have lots of options. Firearms seasons get crowded. Rut is generally in mid October so that's your best chance for an off the hook crazy rut hunt. But it's easy to miss the action if you don't wind up in an area with a hot hind. November is good too. I like January hunts too. December is for firearms so you'll have more competition. It's thick, flat, monotonous cover so have a good GPS and know how to use it. Peak movement is at the edge of dark, though you will see more mid day movement during colder/wetter weather. Warm windy days stink and can ruin an October hunt. Get yourself a cow elk call and use it sparingly. They can pinpoint you from hundreds of yards away and if they are in the mood to respond, one or two gentle mews will bring them to your tree. Persistence, patience and constant vigilance are virtues. Loblolly pines are custom made for climbing tree stands. As mentioned earlier, hip boots, thermacell, binoculars. I don't generally find them as predictable as WTD so don't overcommit to a spot. I rarely sit in the same spot more than a couple times. Move around and don't put too much stock in a well used trail. They move a lot at night and established trails last forever in this environment. Hunt cover and  pinch points more than specific trails. Google earth will reveal many good spots. Have fun and keep your expectations low! It's a different game than Whitetails.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2014, 03:34:00 PM »
Terry is right, there aren't any left and they taste like mud.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2014, 05:29:00 PM »
And Reddogge would never lie!  

Come during the rut and search out Blackwater.  Your have a good time and may gt lucky enough to tag a sika.  Don't forget the thermacell.
T ZZZZ

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©