3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Chartreuse. Feathers.  (Read 1433 times)

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
Chartreuse. Feathers.
« on: November 25, 2014, 12:11:00 PM »
Any body get busted by deer useing chartreuse feathers ?  I was wereing. A s a t.  Head to toe. Wind was in my face  as the buck was heading to me  he stopped gave me a couple of head bobs  turned around  and went his way . I was on the ground and he stopped at 20yrds.  And it was a evening post looking down. My  feathers  were glowing like a light bulb !  O well. Busted again.
Dan Breen

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Chartreuse. Feathers.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 12:24:00 PM »
Dan,
Maybe it was the feathers, but I use charteuse some, including crowns, and I have never knowingly been busted because of that. Sometimes, they just know.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 12:34:00 PM »
Did you have a face mask or any other type of face paint on?  A bright face will get you busted big time.  I use hot pink fletching and haven't been busted by a deer because of it.  Turkeys are something else again and I use natural turkey fletching when hunting them.  I also hunt in a ghillie suit for deer and turkeys.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 12:41:00 PM »
Maybe it was my beard ? It went from dark brown to white. LOL. ,
Dan Breen

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 12:54:00 PM »
I use them and they always glow,  I have had a lot of deer right up close (on ground) the last several years and I Don't think they gave me away, UNLESS I was waving them around moving the bow.

I thought all about that issue, but so far, no such issue for me.  I can sure see that arrow hit in the waning light !
CHuckC

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 01:10:00 PM »
Dan,

My beard is white also - not much camo left in it    :rolleyes:   I always wear some type of face mask plus camo cream around my nose, cheeks, etc. that the mask doesn't cover.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 02:24:00 PM »
I used them - flo yellow anyways, and yes I do believe in low light they are easier for deer to pick up any little movement.  I have since went back to regular yellow feathers and I've yet to be busted moving my bow slowly.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 02:39:00 PM »
I only use Chartreuse on my number one arrow, the one on the string, the rest are natural barred...

Learned my lesson years ago (before Chartreuse feathers were available) that movement with a quiver full of white feathers will cause attention....

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 03:58:00 PM »
do you use a bow quiver?  if so, do you have a fletch cover?  

flo. yellow:

fletch cover made from the sleeve of an old trebark camo shirt.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 04:01:00 PM »
Honest to God... I feel like they cost me a shot at the biggest buck of my life last year in Missouri. It was close to evening and a giant buck approached me from the west. I was as still as a flag pole when he stopped facing the tree at about 18 yards off my right side. He did the head bob thing up and down and then just bounded off. I thought.... No way he smelled me (wind was out of the north) and no way he saw me move because I didn't move a muscle. It was extremely windy that day and I noticed that the wind had blown my fletching cover off my quiver hanging beside me on, you guessed it, the west side of the tree. The setting sun was shinning on it like a beacon ! Sucks to be me !

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 04:45:00 PM »
I've been told by eye doctors that my form of color blindness makes me see the world in much the same colors as a deer.  I see yellows, which I guess includes chartreuse, about the best of all colors, so I always include yellow feathers on the arrows I plan to stump shoot with.  Blues I see pretty well too, but blues are a darker color and don't stand out as well for me as yellows.  Reds, greens, and browns all sort of merge together.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 04:56:00 PM »
I shoot yellow because I watched a video of Barry Wensel and he used them - Wish I had a better reasons but that's it  :)
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 06:55:00 PM »
Chartreuse about 90% of the time. Last time out I had 11 turkeys and two does all within 8 to 10 yards. Not one knew I was there.

In early morning or late evening they are (to me) the most visible of all fletching. I detest shooting at an animal and not being able to see the arrow.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 07:09:00 PM »
I ALWAYS use fluorescent yellow fletch.  I have never felt I was picked off because of them.  Years ago, I was leaning against a 24" utility pole in a power line ROW about 100 yards from a decent buck, he was looking into the sun.  My quiver was laying on the ground.  I felt like he was looking me right in the eyes, staring at me like I was waving my arms.  Sometimes, they just know!!!
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 07:49:00 PM »
I hunt with a backquiver and my arrows have a partial crown dip of flo pink and I use either all hot pink or chartruese feathers. I'm a ground hunter and have never seen a deer spook yet from my bright colors.

My belief is if a deer is that close to seeing my feathers...he should be running away with my arrow in his vitals or I'm standing over him.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 08:06:00 PM »

you could try this (you only see the back of the feathers in flight, deer the front)
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 08:51:00 PM »
If you're using a bow mount quiver a fletching cover is a must have item. This one hangs down to silently hide the hot pink. Picked this one up from Rod Jenkins.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »
Don't know about flo. chartreuse, I use hot pink these days with no problems. I can confirm one thing though, two seasons I used reflective white wraps and 3 white feathers. I got busted constantly, I think it was when the sun hit them more than anything. I now use hot pink wraps and a 3/4" band of reflective at nock.
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 10:09:00 PM »
And the ultravoilet light (pink light) an hour after dawn and an hour before sunset will make certain colors glow all the more.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 10:27:00 PM »
I've shot chartreuse for several years and have never felt like I was noticed because of them.  A couple years ago I started using a fletch cover on my bow quiver as I was hunting on the ground more often and didn't want to chance it.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©