3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Chartreuse. Feathers.  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Chartreuse. Feathers.
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2014, 12:53:00 AM »
I use chartreuse quite a lot, but I think it is relatively visible to deer.  I know it stands out to my dad, who has deer-like (poor) color vision.

I have been using bright orange lately.  I am quite sure deer do not see it well.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2014, 05:40:00 AM »
I absolutely believe I've been busted because of them. I use a fletch cover so i'm talking about just the one on the string.
They really glow in low light.
I called and talked to the owner of Sport Wash UV Killer and he said his product would probably gum up the feathers.
I'm gonna switch.
Tom

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2014, 06:06:00 AM »
The #2 selling feather color for us!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2014, 07:18:00 AM »
I firmly believe that they are picking out your outline or even the slightest of movement. All I ever use is all bright Pink or all white. I don't believe I have ever got busted from them...but what do I know. Funny thing I notice is that I have been busted when they have their back to me as often. I wear mostly wool and things are unbelievably quiet. When it's windy, I seldom get busted.
I can't prove a thing, but way bet money that it wasn't the feathers that got you busted.
bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2014, 08:26:00 AM »
I believe its usually a combo of low light and movement.  Flo Yellow glows and it is easier for us to see it in flight (moving) so it only makes sense that deer see it easier as well.  I do think it may have a UV shine in low light.  I know I have had deer look directly at my hanging bow during calm early morning/late evening.  Once the sun comes up and full light floods the woods I have not noticed it at all.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2014, 09:04:00 AM »
What BigJim said above about your outline....thats what Im thinking may have been the culprit....as Ive never been busted with my flo yellow feathers...and I use straight flo yellow,  4 fletch....5 arrow quiver, no fletch cover!   Had lots of deer REAL close on the ground.  I also have really good natural back cover on the ground blinds I build,  knowing that whats behind you is more important than whats in front when it comes to ground blinds for deer.  Despite the good camo you were wearing,  maybe he caught your outline and that gave him the willies  :scared:    could have been a back cover/back lit issue....

Offline MCS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2014, 09:12:00 AM »
I thought deer see in black and white.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2014, 10:07:00 AM »
lookma- i concur- i use the asat leafy suit, and i always back up against good backcover- even if my front is totally exposed   :scared:  
we call our deer in, and have had many within 30' had one the other day that was so close i could have touched her with my bow- they often look right at me, as they can so accurately pinpoint the origin of the sound, and if i use slow movement, putting the call down  with one hand, and positioning the bow with the other, they dont "bust" me- they know something is there- they expect some degree of movement i guess, as they have just been called in, but they can not figure you out in the asat leafy suit and with the solid backdrop- i am an unrecognizable shape/blob
wayne

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2014, 10:29:00 AM »
I was having problems w/ elk seeing me and my hunting partner told me my fletching are shinning like a beacon at low light. Made a makeshift fletch cover from the leg of my camo pants and the elk sighting me problem went away.

I've had whitetails react the same way at low light at times. Can't say for sure it was my arrows but I know it was something so I switched to yellow fletching and a white or chartreus for my #1

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2014, 08:15:00 AM »
I've had mature deer pick me off in full camo while sitting motionless on the ground with a good wind. If you are sitting anywhere near their line of travel, they will spot you at under 20 yards, depending on how thick the woods are.
N/A

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2014, 01:57:00 PM »
I always hunt with chartreuse and feel it works fine. I do use a Fletching cover however.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2014, 04:06:00 PM »
Haha, I'm the same as Dave! If uncle Berry shoots them why not:) I also use treestands and would find it very hard to get close to a big buck on the ground without a gillie or blind/brush hide. They are just so smart! I would try pink or orange, I would think they might blend in better.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2014, 06:56:00 PM »
Been shooting chartuse for many years along with chartruse wraps. I use a great northern quiver on my longbow. Never been busted by my arrows. Will continue to use them as I love the visibility in all conditions. Best color for fletching IMO.

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2014, 10:30:00 AM »
good thread Dan, I was thinking of going to chartreuse as well!!!!
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2014, 02:12:00 PM »
John. The way you shoot your Holcomb , you don't need to know if you hit . Hope your doing ok . Did you get to your dads Stand?
Dan Breen

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2014, 03:45:00 PM »
Could be the feathers, but I think the deer in n.j. are just smarter ! They usually know every nook and cranny of territory they roam, so yeah, if anything different stands out to them, they'll know it. While you probably didn't get busted, he saw something he didn't like. While ASAT is one of the best, everything needs a little help once the leaves fall, I like to use the camoed out  nylon screen, seems to be pretty good for ground hunting.

Good luck
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©