3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A knife for the adventurous spirit  (Read 3863 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
A knife for the adventurous spirit
« on: November 25, 2014, 05:35:00 PM »
"He is a stout barrel-chested brute of a man. He is tough as iron, supple as a willow switch, strong as an ox, and like springs on the traps he carries he is always ready to leap into action to face the myriad of challenges he may find in the wilderness. Yet he is always ready with a laugh and a song, and his eyes glint when he has the opportunity to partake of the alcohol he carries for trade. He paddles his bateau along the rivers of the North American continent which are the highways of his day, spreading his culture but also blending it with those of the indigenous tribes he meets along the way. He is a Frenchman, one of the earliest of the intrepid breed of explorer. He is a Voyageur.

He carries with him everything he needs to make a life in the woods. His kit may include a primitive bow, an axe and or hawk, and as important as anything else, a knife. He carries several of these. Often there is a small knife hanging around his neck for minor chores, and another in one of his knee garters for emergencies. His everyday working knife, though, is worn his belt sash, or ceinture, and he relies on it for everything else. It will cut carrots and caribou or leather and lynx with equal facility. It isn’t huge as Hollywood would have us believe… perhaps with a 6” long but thin flexible blade with a handle made of plain wood or bone. This is the same kinds of knife he carries to the Indian tribes to trade for furs, but his knife has known adventures that we today can only dream of!

The Voyageur knife is 10 and ¼” inches in length with a 6” blade, and at its widest point it is an inch and a quarter in width. It measures 1/8” in thickness along the spine and is made of 1095 carbon steel. It is edge-hardened and tempered to approximately 59-60 on the Rockwell scale. It can be handled in either oiled walnut stained smooth bone or premium Elk stag. Whichever you choose, this knife will evoke the spirit of those hardy and boisterous paddlers of long-ago. In your hand, the knife will beg to be used, and as you do the Voyageur within you will be tempted to shout, “Sacre Bleu, mon ami, de river is calling my name!”

Reply to Thread
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A knife for the adventurous spirit
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 06:07:00 PM »
Mighty fine looking blades, I hope you'll have a few at the show in Kalamazoo in January.  I'll be looking for them.
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 06:22:00 PM »
Good looking steel!

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 06:49:00 PM »
:D     :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 06:55:00 PM »
Good stuff right there....
ChuckC

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 08:02:00 AM »
Knives used in America from the 1600s up until the mid-1850s tended to be flat ground, and our knives follow that tradition. Hollow ground blades can produce a wickedly sharp edge, but they can much more easily chip or crack and, thus, they demand a much higher level of maintenance. Our knives actually incorporate what's known today as a compound bevel. The blades are flat ground leaving an edge that is about 25-40 microns thick. Then an additional edge bevel is added which allows our blades to be razor sharp but much stronger than a straight flat ground blade.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 08:06:00 AM »
I love the simplicity of these knives!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 09:15:00 AM »
I got a chance to test this blade this fall on deer. At first I wasn't sure it would be a good knife for dressing a deer but it turns out it is and I love it. The 6" blade works great for reaming the rear end and also for reaching in to cut off the wind pipe. Also the birds beak handle gives a secure grip when it's slick with blood.

I have more knives than any one man needs but this is one I'm glad to add to the "harem"    :archer:

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 09:18:00 AM »
The blades are flat ground leaving an edge that is about 25-40 microns thick. Then an additional edge bevel is added which allows our blades to be razor sharp but much stronger than a straight flat ground blade.

This is, in my opinion, a great edge for outdoor or camp cooking use. If I did not dabble at making knives myself, I would, without doubt, own one of these.

I may anyway since I have been known to collect a few other than my own.    :campfire:
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline tenbrook

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 09:23:00 AM »
Great looking knife Ron!

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 09:53:00 AM »
Lin, I know C L would be tickled pink to make a knife for you.

Thank you for your comments    :notworthy:

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 09:57:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:

I have more knives than any one man needs but this is one I'm glad to add to the "harem"      :thumbsup:      :thumbsup:

Just remember, if anything ever happens to Ron, my initials "R.L." are carved into all those knives and hawks that I've loaned to him and I will want them back.     ;)
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 10:00:00 AM »
Awesome blades.
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Romans 10:14 KJV

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 10:57:00 AM »
Sorry Buddy but I adhere to the tradition of the Indians and Vikings and will be buried with my weapons.

Do they allow boxcars to be buried in cemetery's..   :dunno:

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 11:05:00 AM »
Nice blades!

Bisch

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2014, 11:08:00 AM »
Don't worry Ron....I live closer. Ray aint gettin' squat    :bigsmyl:  

I had one of these knives in hand up at Shrew Haven and I wanted to keep it, right now. Ron needed it for pictures and promotion, so I couldn't take that one. I have one on the way now. It is a VERY handy size, and follows my Grandpas traditional requirement of "a full size knife" (Ron knows that story). We all have too many knives....but this one absolutely qualifies as "All the knife you will ever need".

Absolutely great quality and great design. Wonderful job Ron!
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2014, 11:20:00 AM »
"Ron's epitaph"

Here lies a man who all of his life
loved bows and hawks and many a knife.
He's taking them with him just to be sure
and hopes they don't melt in extreme temperature    

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2014, 11:43:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Roger Norris:
Don't worry Ron....I live closer. Ray aint gettin' squat      :readit:

they say a picture is worth a thousand words.......
    ;)  [/url] [/IMG]
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2014, 01:36:00 PM »
That's wonderful Ray!!!     :biglaugh:    Great looking knives Ron!

Bernie

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2014, 01:37:00 PM »
Curses...foiled again...   :knothead:
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Users currently browsing this topic: