3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A knife for the adventurous spirit  (Read 3861 times)

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Re: A knife for the adventurous spirit
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2014, 02:02:00 PM »
Outstanding Ron
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2014, 02:03:00 PM »
Great looking knife.  I have the Skinner and love it.  What's the price on this one?
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2014, 04:39:00 PM »
It's on the web site now    :readit:  

http://shrewbows.com/knives/Voyageur_Knife.html
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2014, 05:29:00 PM »
Ahem.. I live closer than either of them guys Ron, give me a spare key to your silver truck and I will hook on to said box car and make sure it ends up beside ya.
Promise.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2014, 06:14:00 PM »
It's times like this when you find out who your real friends are...uh huh    :rolleyes:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2014, 09:30:00 PM »
those blades look awfully18th century Sheffield England"ish". typical English trade knife in style. Wear that in a Huron style neck knife sheath and you have something. (why does everyone seem to think a neck knife has a 3 inch blade???) I also have way too many "period" blades....lol
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2014, 12:12:00 AM »
Jack, you mean like this one? Rawhide lined, brain tan elk decorated with porcupine quills and horse hair cones. This one is for when I get all gussied up for Rendezvous...    :jumper:    

Here's another of my larger Huron style neck knives.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2014, 12:32:00 AM »
David Wright's painting of Wes Studi as Magwah with his big neck knife. The print hangs in my office

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2014, 06:18:00 AM »
In all seriousness, I have seen and handled this knife and I absolutely love it.
It feels great in the hand and looks like it could slice a moose no problem. Ron told me about the deer he opened with it, as he did above, and he was impressed with its function, I think this is  a Great knife.
I like old Time stuff, and this is Old Time.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2014, 06:45:00 AM »
That sheath work is beautiful!

I really like that print of Mr Studi. I esily recognized him and almost feel like I know him as many times as I have watched that movie. One of the best and most recognizable music scores ever. I have gotten to know Dan Winkler, who made the primary knives and hawks for that movie, over the years as we've visited at our custom knife shows.

This is my favorite time period in American history to study as far as the clothing and weaponry is concerned. That elk handled knife would fit perfectly.
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2014, 08:27:00 AM »
It's my favorite time period too Lin and The Last of the Mohicans is one of my favorite films.

That's neat that you know Dan Winkler who made the knives and hawks for the movie. I knew Mark Baker years ago before he became famous, he was an adviser in the movie and taught Daniel Day Lewis (Hawkeye) how to load his muzzleloader on the run.

As it says on the bottom of my post,
"We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past" History inspires us, it does me anyway, since my days as a child when my Mother would read to me every night at bedtime, stories of Cowboys, Indians, Pioneers and Robin Hood. It kindled a fire in me to learn more of our history and that fire has burned brightly for more than 70 years.

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2014, 10:36:00 PM »
Ron Ron Ron! Did you really call me jack..???? it's John Getz....if I can post pictures I would send you some........waiting on my new Jud Brennan knife....and Jesse Brennan rifle...!!!! your knives look good!........stay well...!!!!

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2014, 10:37:00 PM »
BTW....I know who made the barrel for Hawkeye in Last of the Mohicans....hint hint....lol

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2014, 10:02:00 AM »
Jack, John, whats the diff. They called JFK both John and Jack didn't they?    :dunno:      :D

I've got a couple of Juds knives that he made for me before he moved to AK. My blacksmith friend C L Matteo has a smoothbore made by Jessee, you can see the Brennan talent in it.

Jud had to come to Michigan for some reason a few weeks ago and he dropped in for a surprise visit. As you know he doesn't have a cell phone or a computer. I tried to talk him into getting a computer but I don't think it'll ever happen    :D

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2014, 07:12:00 PM »
he was at my shop the week before! We were talking about you! don't know if you saw it, but my father just died 2 days ago..!! those Brennan  boys are talented.!!!! I'm just ribbin' you over that Jack thing..!  glad to hear you got that 36 caliber back....! Kill any good bucks up at Shrew haven?......just getting ready for flint rifle season here....

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2014, 10:04:00 PM »
I had not heard about your Dad, I'm so sorry to hear that. From talking to Jud I know you and he were very close.

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2014, 10:15:00 PM »
Sure do like those knives. May have to start collecting again.
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2014, 10:49:00 PM »
I like it!

I know someone who is more of a voyeur than a voyageur but still that blade would look good on.  ;-)

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2014, 10:22:00 AM »
John, sorry to hear about your Dad.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2014, 10:25:00 AM »
I WANT one of those knives... don't like the big honkin knives, but that would suit me.

First, I get the plumbing fixed in this house I bought...that the prior owner 'remodeled' but missed a step...then if there be some money left...?

So, Ron... does the sheath have a belt loop, can it be made angled loop for a cross draw?
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©