3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pre-Spring Arrow Fling - Tannihill State Park?  (Read 527 times)

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
Pre-Spring Arrow Fling - Tannihill State Park?
« on: November 25, 2014, 08:08:00 PM »
Well, work schedule kept me away from the HH Classic at Tannihill (I'm spelling that wrong I think), but I see the pre-spring arrow fling is coming up February 27- March 1. I saw the vendor list and it looks pretty solid. Does anyone have any personal experience, or even pictures if they've gone before. Planning on doing a trip over (should be about 1.5 hours away) and bring my 9 year old. I hope to get him a youth bow, maybe even a used one, there.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Riverrat43

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pre-Spring Arrow Fling - Tannihill State Park?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 08:28:00 PM »
I'm thinking of going also. Never been to one. New at Trad shooting. I'd take my 12 YO Grandson. We'd be looking for a youth bow too.
Ask the American Indian what uncontrolled immigration did to his land and way of life.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 08:34:00 PM »
I was there 2 years ago as a vendor selling kids Bamboo backed bows.
I didn't shoot, so can't comment on range. Heard it was good.
Many bowyers. And several vendors with used bows.

You won't regret going.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline robhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 08:41:00 PM »
Great shoot. Lots of vendors. Lots of fun.            Terry and his group put on a fine shoot!

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 08:46:00 PM »
Went for the first time last year while visiting my parents in Birmingham. Well run, good vendors, and really enjoyed the courses. My wife and I are planning to include a return this year during our next visit in the area. Driving this year, so should be interesting, about 20 hours!   :)
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline el greco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 11:15:00 PM »
I have been there for two years, with the exception of last year. I made really good friends, like South MS Bowhunter (hi John!. Lots of vendors and seminars but I would like to give my honest review. For an event to grow and attract more people every year, the organizers have to  come up with some new and fresh ideas. I would like to see novelty shoots ( maybe running targets?), some longer distance shots , more courses. People travel from really far for this event and although the hard work of the organizers is appreciated maybe a few changes are in order.As I said though I wasn't there last year.
From my cold,dead hands..

Offline T. W. Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 07:24:00 AM »
Hi guys, I appreciate your comments.  As for youth bows, St Joe River bows will have a great selection of youth bows and the prices can't be beat.  Tracey makes these bows as a bowyer makes adult bows, MADE TO LAST!.

Hi Christos, I also appreciate your comments as well.  I'll try to address them.  When more courses are used and there are 12 to 15 targets used on each course, that would cost me extra, an average of about $400.00 each (not to mention having space to store all these extra targets.  

Then moving targets as a novelty are fun, I agree, BUT, setting up and making sure these moving targets run smoothly (sometimes they breakdown for different reasons) and it really can hold up and back up a crowd on a course.  I know other novelty shots can be set up, but that also takes someone to preside over them.

You also  may not know this, I put this on at my expense and I am not a club.  By the time I spend money on target replacement for the targets I have, advertising, rental of the area in the Park, food costs (I CAN'T SELL FOOD AND GIVE IT AWAY FREE) as well as other expenses, you wouldn't believe how little I make on both of my events.  Then, there's finding the space you need where you can put out additional courses safely.

I'm not complaining, I love traditional archery and doing these events, but I'm limited in what I can accomplish with the handful of folks that help me. I hope that helps you to understand.

Thank you all again for the comments and I hope you all can make it.

Terry Harris

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 08:28:00 AM »
Wes Talon always has some very inexpensive little kids hickory bows for sale along with 3 arrows. I think he was getting about $20 for them last time I talked to him.

Sorry Wes, if I got the price wrong.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 08:34:00 AM »
A great event at a beautiful location, and Terry does a fantastic job putting it together.  If you are only 1.5 hours away I can't imagine why you'd miss it. I'm from Wisconsin and I've made the trip!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 10:59:00 AM »
All the feedback and responses are great, and well appreciated! I am looking forward to attending and hope to meet a bunch of you there. T. W. Harris, upfront, thank you for what you do to put his on. I can only imagine the logistical challenges it poses. And South MS Bowhunter, thanks for the links, I should of tried a search, though if this page becomes relgated to the search function new material will never come I suppose. The pics look like it is a great event! Hopefully as it approaches more people will catch wind of it and this year will be every bit as good as it seems previous years events have been! Thanks again all.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 03:35:00 PM »
it's a lot of fun. good shoot, lots of vendors. Big Jim usually has a huge selection of stuff with him. hope to make it again this year.

Christos, road trip?
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 04:35:00 PM »
Legends Bows will be there this next year and do the presentation of the bow we are donating. We have donated bows to Terry's event for about 6 years now I think. Due to our busy travel season we havnt been able to attend until this next year. I have heard great things about the spring event and have seen some pictures. Looking forward to meeting venders and customers that up until now I have only known by emails and phone calls. There is a good chance that Bill from Zipper/Grizzly will be there and we have been phone friends for a few years. My buddy Rod Jenkins said he would come attend why we were there. Terry and Rhonda have become great friends with Debbie and I through the years. If your on the fence about attending this shoot I think you should pull the trigger and go. We are coming out from California and look forward to meeting friends and making new ones. Please stop and say hi. Thanks Terry for all you do to have a great event.
Mike

Offline T. W. Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 06:25:00 PM »
Thanks folks, I for one can't wait for Mike & Debbie Rash to get here.  You folks won't meet a nicer couple and they will become your friends as well.

What an outstanding addition to the already great list of Vendors coming.

And as always, Compton Traditional Bowhunters will be here and what a great youth event they put on Saturday.

Terry Harris

Offline el greco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 07:24:00 PM »
Oh yes John, I am planning on taking leave and take the road trip from Tampa FL. I have missed the  Baldwin County traditional archers chapter!

Offline T. W. Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 08:26:00 AM »
Folks, just found out today that Tannehill State Park has added four primitive cabins.

A local KOA Campground (no longer in business) donated them to the Park.  They're located in the rear area of Campground # 3.  Three of them will sleep two & one will sleep four.

They all have window A/C and for cold weather they each have a portable floor heater that really does a good job.  No running water or restroom, PRIMITIVE, but not far from the bathhouse in campground 3.

They are close enough to Farley Field, you can walk to it.

The cost is $40.00 per night for the two sleepers and $45.00 for the four sleeper.

The cabins are really quite nice with a grill right outside and a nice front porch.

First come first serve.  Tannehill's number is 205-477-5711

Terry Harris

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 08:53:00 AM »
Ive been to a lot of shoots, this one of the best!! Great job Terry!
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2014, 01:23:00 PM »
Hope to be there this year as well.  Hopefully Shane you and Chris can make it again, I know Tommy is always up for it.  Just need to pinch some pennies together   :pray:
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline el greco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »
Hey John, I hear you about the money. Let's hope the gas prices will be as low as they are now. I am filling my tank now with 46$! Anyway I am looking forward in seeing you and Tommy again. Shane from what I remember was a  really good shot, hope he makes it as well.

Offline hnt2mch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2014, 08:06:00 AM »
always a great time I try to make at least one day at this un every year!!!!
don't look at the horns,don't look at the horns,don't look at the horns....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©