3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: It never occured to me!!!!  (Read 671 times)

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
It never occured to me!!!!
« on: November 26, 2014, 03:43:00 PM »
I was talking with some local bow hunters about my season and I mentioned that I had a solid 150 class buck come in to my stand one evening but only came within 28-30 yds. so I never had a shot.  One of the guys asked why?  I told him I limit my hunting shots to what I feel is a certain kill zone and that was about 10 yds too far.  He said if that was the case why didn't I use a crossbow so I cold take those shots.
     I can honestly say it never crossed my mind!  I was thrilled I saw a buck of that caliber and doing "ANYTHING" to make a kill wasn't the reason I was out there.  Don't get me wrong...I wish I could have killed that buck but not enough to get out of the way I choose to hunt.  I had 33 buck that DID come within my mental kill zone this season but not the buck I really wanted and I feel pretty good about my season!

Offline The Ole' Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: It never occured to me!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 03:59:00 PM »
Longbowman, I know what you are talking about and I would think that many of us diehard traditional bowhunters have experienced the same feelings and made those same decisions about taking game with our simple traditional gear. Good for you...you seem to know what you want out of traditionla bowhunting so don't let anyone change your attitude. Congratulations to you for sticking to your  personal limitations...I admire you decision and your ethical beliefs.

Offline Ron Vought

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 05:06:00 PM »
I had a very nice buck this year come in behind my treestand at 25 yards and stand broadside. It would have been a very easy shot with a compound or a crossgun. I thought to myself where is the challenge with knowing the buck could have been shot by the use of a weapon that is driven by technology assistance. When we carry the traditional bow into the woods we accept the challenge that it offers us. We should never second guess our decision to use a traditional bow or regret it.

Ron

Offline STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 05:13:00 PM »
Sounds like you had a very successful season to me.  Anytime you're in the woods and have critters around your stand it's been a great hunt!  I have guys I work with that are the same way, it's always what if....but I'm always happy to be out in the woods and enjoy what mother nature has to offer, sots or not.
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 06:23:00 PM »
When I went to Africa, my buddy said "You really need to take a compound for a back up bow!" .

I said "Why, I am taking a longbow, a recurve, and a selfbow. I already have a back-up bow!".

Some people just don't get it!

Bisch

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 06:27:00 PM »
It's not about blood on the ground, it's about they "Hunt".  If I was only interested in blood on the ground, I would use my rifle.  I love the challenge with trad equipment.  Best of luck to you.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 06:31:00 PM »
I have several friends who are like that.  I don't mean to sound condescending, not trying to be at all, but you are right, they don't get it.  A very large part of my hunting is doing it my way.  Yes, i want to kill a deer, or an elk, but I am truly OK with not killing one if I get close encounters.

I am not gonna change my ways just to get a kill at all costs.  If that is the case, i have a .338 Win mag that can reach out as far as I can see them ( with glass). I want it trad, or I will try again next year.  

I guess I am sick.  Anybody got any anti- trad pills ?
CHuckC

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 06:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:

I guess I am sick.  Anybody got any anti- trad pills ?
CHuckC
:knothead:    

I'm not opposed to hunting with a rifle... I shoot lots of coyotes with a rifle.  But when I take my recurve to the woods, I take it because that's what I WANT to hunt with it.

I also had the biggest buck of my life at thirty yards earlier this year.  I was stoked that I got to be within 30 yards of the biggest buck of my life!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »
I was talking to a guy once that told me he tried to run over a buck with his companies work truck. ???  I asked him what would that deer mean to you is you took it in that way.  His reply was you didn't see this buck.  I just don't get it.  It's just the possession of the antlers not the hunt and how you got it.  

It's like a man who climbs a mountain and gets to the top and another man takes a helicopter.  They both got to the top but what does it mean to the man who took the helicopter?  A ride in the helicopter that's all.  If you don't get it, you never will.

Offline JamesD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
Great decision. I passed on five shots between 25 and thirty yard myself this season. I limit myself to roughly twenty yards, usually with a piece of surveyors tape tied at that distance on multiple sides of my blinds and stands. If I'm shooting extremely well the week of a hunt I'll stretch that distance by a yard or two. Otherwise it's a no go.  I've had a few hunting buddies tell me they wish I was shooting a compound still. The feelings are two sweet and the moments too memorable to ever go back.
Regular PBS Member

Offline JamesD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 07:33:00 PM »
Great decision. I passed on five shots between 25 and thirty yard myself this season. I limit myself to roughly twenty yards, usually with a piece of surveyors tape tied at that distance on multiple sides of my blinds and stands. If I'm shooting extremely well the week of a hunt I'll stretch that distance by a yard or two. Otherwise it's a no go.  I've had a few hunting buddies tell me they wish I was shooting a compound still. The feelings are two sweet and the moments too memorable to ever go back.
Regular PBS Member

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 08:15:00 PM »
No matter what your weapon, you're going to have animals just outside your comfort zone.  Do you "push" your limits, and hope for the best, or just accept that today wasn't your day??
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 08:24:00 PM »
Bisch, I went out and bought a Samick Journey as a backup for Africa.  When my Brackenbury didn't show up, I was glad for it.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 09:34:00 PM »
I had several 150"+ bucks less than 20 yards. They would have been shot at with any other weapon but the ability to hold back for prolonged periods of time just wasn't an option.

I would have it no other way. Besides, my season would have ended long ago if that were the case.

I love it.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline BRIARS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 10:13:00 PM »
Taking a deer can me compared to "dating" a girl. "ask not get not" or "shoot not get not".

I do not believe in setting a yardage limitation. I go with my instincts. I have let deer walk within steps of the base of my tree this year and have taken one at apx 33 yards.

If you feel confident in the shot, take it. If you do not feel good about it, then pass. Its really simple.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2014, 10:17:00 PM »
You are doing well in recognizing,acknowledging and adhering to your effective range.

Arrow drop for a typical conventional bow is ~21"s at 30 yards.

Arrow drop for a typical traditional bow is ~59"s at 30 yards.

Even if one's traditional shooting skills match and/or exceed the hi tech advantage, you still may be required to judge distance approximately three times more accurately.

The magnificant quarry we pursue deserves nothing les than our best.

Your adherance to residing within your effective hunting range is  also a mark of excellence in reperesenting our traditional family.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline CEO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 04:12:00 AM »
I had a friend (RIP) who used to say:

Traditional bows are for people who like to hunt.
Compound bows are for people who like to eat meat.

I'd go to dinner at his house a lot.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2014, 07:01:00 AM »
I was in a very similar situation not very many weeks back with a mature buck standing broadside at about 30 yards with nothing between us but air.

He actually stood in that same spot twice in less than 15 minutes. He had walked east then got a whiff of something he didn't like, went on alert and turned around an walked back the same path he had walked in on, stopping once again in almost the exact spot he had previously stopped.

The difference was this time I was up off my Waldrop seat, standing and with tension on my string. He took time to look all around, even looking straight at or through me.

I came away happy as I could be thinking two things, one, I was proud of my ethics and two, knowing if I was ever given the chance with one standing inside my comfort zone I'd be able to make the shot since I had just proven to myself I had the self-control to pull it off.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2014, 07:09:00 AM »
I cant think of any other pursuit in life that calls for such mental discipline. Be it hunting with a Trad bow, compound, shotgun, 300 win mag, etc. We all strive to kill game quickly and cleanly regardless of the category the animal falls into, toe head, to toad. Weapon choice has limitations and staying within those bounds under stress is key. When a person lets a critter pass knowing it is beyond the limit of their weapon it is a display of maturity, respect, and mental toughness.

When I make the decision to not shoot because of the animals body language, distance, shot angle, etc. I have won. Not that I beat the animal at any competition but I have victory over my human instincts and stress.

To some the need to kill game dictates their weapon choice to others weapon choice dictates the challenge they are willing to accept.

:campfire:

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2014, 08:02:00 AM »
You are not alone; I could have taken 2 does and an 8pt. the season if I was still using a compound - I have no desire to switch back - either you feel it or you don't.
SWA Spyder

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©