3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: update on "slow bow" thread  (Read 723 times)

Offline Ray Johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
update on "slow bow" thread
« on: November 26, 2014, 08:27:00 PM »
I guess my bow is a dog.I reserved my string last night to get a better nock fit.It fit much better and my bow is a little quieter but still the same speed 157fps consistently.This bow(Roy Hall "Apache")is 45# @ 28" and my BW PSA was 44# @ 28".I draw 28".I was getting 170fps or close to it with a 440gr Gold Tip 15/35.I lost 10-13 fps going from recurve to a longbow.I ordered a string from SBD and am hoping that will help some.This isn't a make or break deal on the bow.I love the bow.I just want it to be a little faster if possible.My eye and mind are used to a certain speed and I would like to keep it like that.It's possible that the string that is on it is the problem.I will just have to wait and see.For now,I am confident at 15 yards and under for hunting even though I miraculously killed a spike with a perfect shot at 20 yards a week or so ago.

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: update on "slow bow" thread
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 08:47:00 PM »
once again speed is the last of the criteria within reason. accuracy and able to deliver a 10 grain per pound arrow is the important part. back in the early sixties Pennsylvania state champion woman Archer killed three deer with her 28 pound recurve. shot placement, shot placement, shot placement.  if you shoot it well at about 155 feet per second....you're golden. JMO
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 09:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by jackdaw:
once again speed is the last of the criteria within reason. accuracy and able to deliver a 10 grain per pound arrow is the important part. back in the early sixties Pennsylvania state champion woman Archer killed three deer with her 28 pound recurve. shot placement, shot placement, shot placement.  if you shoot it well at about 155 feet per second....you're golden. JMO
x2

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 09:24:00 PM »
I would not worry to much about speed at 20 yards. I personally think there is nothing wrong with speed but I shoot 9grains+ pp. I shoot a lot of targets/3D's so I like some more speed.

Offline Ray Johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 10:15:00 PM »
I also shoot 3d and I always use my hunting bow for hunting and 3d.I guess because I only have one bow.lol.It would be nice to have a little more speed for 3d but I will make do with what I got.I expect to pick up a little speed with the SBD string but not over 10fps and probably more like 5fps from what others have said.I know that BW recurves are not that fast compared to other recurves so I was just surprised to lose that much with this bow.I can't complain too much though since I nailed the first deer I shot at with it.

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 07:19:00 AM »
My Dad was still killing deer with 130-140 fps bows. When he was in his seventies, shot placement is key.  And the plus side is its easy on arrows stump hunting.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline nlester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 07:28:00 AM »
My 1st selfbow was slow as mud.  I'm not into numbers, but it was visibly slow.  I didn't have a problem harvesting deer with it.  Heavy enough arrow and shot placement is much more important IMO
Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge;
   fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 08:55:00 AM »
I have 5 Hill bows, one Bamboo Longhunter, and one Kolomi, and all shoot from the high 140's to high 150's fps. Although none are speed demons, they shoot well and will kill anything I want to take with power to spare.
Sam

Offline Ray Johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 10:23:00 AM »
I know it will kill any deer I shoot with it.I just wanted more speed for 3d, but to be honest,I don't shoot that much 3d anymore.I didn't shoot a single tournament this past summer.Bass fishing got in the way.That's it.Once I put my new string on, there will be no more mention of a "slow bow".All of you are right.It is plenty enough for hunting.It is a quiet,beautiful, and accurate bow.I much prefer carrying this bow into the woods than my BW.The physical weight is so much less that it is unbelievable.I shot that BW for years and thought that I never could shoot a longbow well so I just kept with what worked.I finally sold my BW and have no choice but to make this bow work.I'm not quite as accurate with it yet as my recurve but it's coming.Maybe in time I can get a faster longbow like an ACS if I need to but for now I'm happy with what I have.Thanks.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 11:05:00 AM »
The interesting part about this post is that you are obviously taking your time when aiming hence the perfect shot on the deer @ 20 yds. This is all you need to remember !

I have bows that shoot anywhere between 160-197 fps, and sometimes I string them all up and take one or two shoots out of each, one after the other. Reason is, to force myself to take the time to aim and knowing I had to take into account the difference in height adjustment, luckily they all shoot the same arrow which makes this possible.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline The Ole' Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 11:16:00 AM »
Jackdaw has said it all...to repeat what everyone else has already said its how accurate you shoot with your bow along with keeping your broadheads razor sharp and of course...shot placement is also a key factor in all game recovery.

Offline The Ole' Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 11:21:00 AM »
I suggest you do as much small game hunting with your bow as you can fit in or do a lot of stump shooting...you accuracy will certainly improve and so will your confidence.  Good luck and keep us updated.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 11:40:00 AM »
Ray,

IF you get down our way in Weatherford, give me a call and we'll have you shoot some longbows here.

Good Luck,

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 11:56:00 AM »
I picked up a bunch of speed with the first sbd string I bought.  I was easily shooting 4" high at 20yds with the new string. Hopefully that does the trick for you.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 12:12:00 PM »
If you decide to sell the Owl, please let me know!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 12:28:00 PM »
Threads like this make me think there should be a law that prohibits traditional shooters from using chronos.  I wonder how many bows that were well-loved the day before have hit the road the day after someone shot them through a graph for the first time?  With the exception of Oly or FITA style recurves and very light arrows used on targets, these bows are all, let's face it, slow.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 12:31:00 PM »
Ok, I may not be the smartest, But why do you need speed to shoot 3D, Do they jump the string..?
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2014, 12:33:00 PM »
Good One Mike!   :thumbsup:   hahahaha   :biglaugh:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2014, 01:36:00 PM »
I don't ever want to chrono my bows.  I'm happy with the girls I've got and if I start comparing them with some "Miss America" measurements, trouble will be brewing.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2014, 02:20:00 PM »
Howard Hill claimed that a string follow bow, being slower was more accurate. Not sure if that applies to the Owl, but speed is not everything. I remember a super fast hybrid that was noticeably faster than other bows I owned and shot, so much so, that I sold it.  It was too hard to shoot accurately.

That said, if you look for another try not to be overcome by speed.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©