3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Short bows? really? don't you want more?  (Read 2653 times)

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Short bows? really? don't you want more?
« on: November 26, 2014, 09:02:00 PM »
I don't like a short bow. Why are so many nice,nice,top end built bows so short! Serious. Centaur = 62" max. Shrew = 56" max. Thunderchild 58" max. MAN! I've owned all these bows at there max lengths. And they were decent. BUT I KNOW that if they were 64" or 66" They would be that much better.  GUYS!! more is more! BUILD LONG LONGBOWS!!!! rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Short bows? really? don't you want more?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 09:05:00 PM »
Love me some long bows. Amen.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »
PLEASE!! Don't post about High Tech design vs. draw length info. Don't care. Spent thousands on trad bows,and won't listen to ANY bowyer telling how they have a pinch free,non-critical SHORT design. PLEASE don't post. Olympic shooters shoot long for a reason. I just want a LONG longbow. Am I alone?

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 09:16:00 PM »
Olympic shooters don't have to bend over and shoot behind a tree at a deer trotting past at 5 yards.  Send those 56"ers my way.    :)
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 09:18:00 PM »
You can have em' all Morning Star. I will cut a branch or 2 and pull/hold smooth all day long. More is more bro'.  rat'

Offline Mo0se

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 09:23:00 PM »
A longbow should be a minimum of 68" that's just my opinion. That said, I've been told that 64" delivers the best returns. I don't care...I know how a proper longbow "feels" and if it means I lose a few fps I don't care about that either!
A longbow and wood arrows? Peas and Carrots!

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 09:28:00 PM »
MoOse...My hat is off to you. It/they really do FEEL good the longer they get. I cant be swayed. Been there,done that sort of thing. MoOse knows. Me to.  rat'

Offline Mo0se

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 09:38:00 PM »
I'm with ya, it seems Longbow has become an oxymoron to some builders Lol!

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 09:40:00 PM »
I have yet to find a bow under 62" that I really like!

I'm with ya on this one!

Bisch

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 09:42:00 PM »
I hear you, Riverrat.  If I were hunting in the bushes at 15 yards or from the back of a horse, I would probably want a short bow too.  But where I shoot and hunt, longer is generally better. Within reason. Fortunately, there are plenty of top line bowyers making 64-66" longbows and 62-64" recurves.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 09:45:00 PM »
Rat,  start with a high performance smooth short design, and THEN, its all in the mass weight man...

I totally get where you are coming from.  I was a 'long' bow guy for a while, my main hunting bow was 68" and then I started shooting short bows with heavier risers.  Its the key.  

Don't lament a 62" Centaur.  Try one with a Dark Matter riser.  Having the extra mass weight in the riser (30% heavier than phenolic) makes it behave like a bow 6" longer IMHO.  I agree the standard bows are featherlight and need a steady hand, but man Dark Matter just does the trick, ohh boy..

Same deal on my Elkheart, 56" but with Bow-bolt takedown and phenolic in the riser feels like a bigger bow and is smooth enough to get the job done.  I have seen the f/d curves Gregg has plotted.  

Try any Toelke bow in a 2pc, with Bow-bolt and phenolic riser, they also shoot superbly at shorter lengths.  

Add a forward handle into the mix and its gets even better.  Big Jim's Thunderchild for example doesn't have the mass of the other bows I mentioned, but the forward riser with swept back limbs is taken to the extreme so the stability is still there.  I remember the first time I shot a TC in a draw weight I liked I was shaking my head how well it did for me with very little practice.  

IMHO the Olympic comparison is a non-issue here.  Are we taking 90 yard shots on game like Howard Hill anymore?  

I gave up on longer bows like the 68" one I had largely because these heavier mass short bows just are SO much more enjoyable to hunt on the ground with in thick woods and swamps where I live.  

To each his own.  These bowyers out there are making hunting bows not target bows.  At the end of the day everyone's biomechanics are different and your mileage may vary,

All I know is after trying a lot of shorties and LONG bows too in the last couple years, IMHO a bow like a 2pc Java Man Elkheart or a Dark Matter Centaur, or even a Big Jim Thunderchild to me are the pinnacle of the hunting stickbow.

The cool thing is there's some bowyer somewhere always working on the next best thing.  

I love bows period, like women they come in all shapes and heights (lengths!)  LOL   ;)
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 09:49:00 PM »
Providing quality shorter bows satisfies the desires of the many.

My own preference is but a whisper among the cries of the many.

We are most gifted to have a host of premium bows to select from that satisfy the desires of all.

Surviving as a bowyer is likely most challenging.
My hope resides with their continued success.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 09:56:00 PM »
I concur with your sentiments on longer longbows for my personal use. Have had 60", 62", 64" and 66". I prefer no less than 64" in an R/D design like the Toelke Whip HS. My go to D bow is a 66" Toelke Super D. Certainly have nothing against shorter longbows though.
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 09:56:00 PM »
nine9 a lot of your post I agree with. A lot I don't. I hear you on the long game shot vs. Olympic comparison. BUT with a long bow....I have the option within reason, They ARE more stable,and consistant. DUDE.... I've had a lot of bows in my hands to. I know. I've owned a heavy 62" Centaur. Loved it. Needed to be lighter in draw weight,and...LONGER. I currently own a Phenolic risered 66" Whip. I really dig it. Closest bow to a Centaur IMO. MORE IS MORE BABY!!! rat'

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 10:00:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:    No worries brother!  We all gotta find a shoe that fits.  You gotta see some of the nasty bush I hunt in, going from 68" to 56" really helps me!  Won't be the last time I own a 'long' bow though.  I had a 70" Triple Crown for a while earlier this year and that thing was a shooting MACHINE.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Mo0se

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2014, 10:05:00 PM »
So I get the best of both worlds with the bow in my sig...it's Long and has Micarta in the riser! I hunt with it, in places I shouldn't but it's never cost me a lost shot in the woods.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2014, 10:08:00 PM »
Hey Scott, your succinct prose begs a haiku.  Are you up for it?
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2014, 10:09:00 PM »
Friend...I love your posts. I do. You are a man that has great intellect. Always learn/look at things different after reading what you have posted. Bless you. I admire. rat'

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2014, 10:09:00 PM »
Well if your looking for a long bow dont go to a short bow store.

HHA, Northern Mist, JD Berry, Robertson

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2014, 10:09:00 PM »
I guess we need sub classes to describe our trad longbows???  Maybe borrow some terms from the car industry like  heavy duty, light duty, mid-sized,  crossover, compact and sub compact to more accurately describe them.       :biglaugh:      

I tried some short longbows and did not feel the mojo.  Great bows but they found a better home.  I am about to recieve the best of the best IMO at 58" just because i had to have one.  It will be loved but will be the one and only shorty in my collection.   I have nothing against them, I just shoot targets more than game and hunt from a tree stand.  Looks like I prefer 62-66" being 6'1" with 29"plus draw.

To me the only thing better than a short bow with mass in the riser is a long bow with even more mass/wieght in the riser.

One thing I love about trad archery is how personal the connection between the archer and bow is.  It all comes down to personal opinions and to each their own man!
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©