3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Short bows? really? don't you want more?  (Read 2656 times)

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Short bows? really? don't you want more?
« Reply #100 on: November 28, 2014, 07:58:00 PM »
I thought longbows were part of the challenge?

They are for me.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: November 28, 2014, 09:15:00 PM »
Rat, the 52-56" Shrews are the Classic Hunters and the 58-62" are the Super Shrews....they are 2 different bow designs.

Back to what Big Jim said...you stretch that TC out to the 64" bow you want...tweak it to make it perform well and walaa you got a Buffalo.

A  long bow design dont make a good short bow and visa/versa...its that simple.

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: November 28, 2014, 09:35:00 PM »
When it comes to longbow design and speed, the key is the amount of mass in the  working limb.  If you ever notice the short longbows also have shorter risers, and the longer ones have longer risers.  It's important to keep a ratio of riser length:working limb at the optimum (I know what it is too, +/- a bit, of course) But if you go too long with the limbs, putting the tips past that ratio, you'll have negative returns and it'll slow things down, all the while feeling very smooth while drawing, and that's totally fine if that's what you like but that can also add some hand shock.  This applies to any longbow design D/R, Hill styled, etc.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: November 28, 2014, 09:56:00 PM »
WESTBROOK how are ya? I was up in Manton this past June on my way home from Smallmouth fishing in Grand Traverse Bay Eric,and stopped at that little mom&pop restaurant there Northwoods maybe? Anyhow..That makes sure your full when you leave,and don't charge enough for what you get there. Awesome little place to eat at. OK..Here's what I'd like...A 64-66" Super Shrew. (cause that design supports a longer length) or a TC re-designed to work out that design for a longer length. Cause if the Shrew can...Others can. I put a 454 in a Chevette. It worked. Well. You nailed it! re-designed a bit to support a longer length,but retain the original lines for the bow as close as possible just like LaClair did between them Shrews. I've had both those Shrews remember. And I couldn't tell any difference in the way they looked,and the grips at all. I just liked the longer one. That 62" Banshee with Big Jims craftsmanship and killer grip would be the best damn Thunderchild in the world. That's what I think. From shooting both,at the same time,laying them right beside each other,measuring the dimensions tween them,I know what I'm saying bud. I also know I won't get what I want. And that sucks. Cause they would be awesome. I'm all done with this whole topic. If I had the ability to build a Shrew or Thunderchild in a 64-66" bow. I'd be doing it right now. No hard feelings here. Take care ya'all.   rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: November 28, 2014, 09:59:00 PM »
Rat,

Great post!  I have also spent too much buying and selling shorter bows.  The only two bows on my wish list are 68 and 70".

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: November 28, 2014, 10:13:00 PM »
"Thom, I love this 68" NM Classic"

"Thom, I loved you NM Classic so much I bought a Baraga."

Mind you I love shooting your Baraga, but I knew this day would come  :)
Thom

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: November 28, 2014, 10:23:00 PM »
A while back I designed what I called the /shrew Model-T. It was a longer riser, longer length, 62,64, and 66"

The left handed one is mine and I still have it

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: November 28, 2014, 10:27:00 PM »
THOM! how ya' been? Long time,no see pal. Ready for leagues to start? I am. AHHH! I was all done posting on this topic Thom and you dragged me back in. For 1 more. Should have PM'ed you maybe. I like them Mists Thom. They are fun to shoot. I just am a R/D Longbow guy at heart. I've tried a lot of stuff T you know it's true. It seems that the whole point I am trying to get across is getting lost in translation at times it feels like. So in simple terms,one sentence to the core objective which unfortunately is a mute point it seems.

"A radical R/D longbow that is a 64-66" length"

I have my favorite designs which I feel the talented bowyers making them could build one that would stand tall. But I guess it can't be done T.
Stringfollows are fun Thom. But they just don't have the hot-rod feel of an R/D friend. That's that. See you in a few weeks Thom. I'm dialed in pretty good. Got some new arrows made up. Got to try and keep Mr. Denny at bay.    :thumbsup:   rat'

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: November 28, 2014, 10:29:00 PM »
In fact I hunted with it at camp this year. It's 64" long

Personally I don't have a problem with any bow short or long I love em all.

Here's one that shows the limb a little better

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: November 28, 2014, 10:29:00 PM »
You guys still building those "T's" Ron?

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: November 28, 2014, 10:38:00 PM »
Haven't been for awhile but probably could start again. The 56" Classic is our most popular model

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: November 29, 2014, 06:21:00 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but the bows Rat mentions are a type of flatbow design? Having owned and shot these hybrid or flatbows, I can understand the frustration. Maybe the issue is more so the design, than length? Maybe getting away from the heavily preloaded designs of these short longbows and look at a different limb design LB all together. Have you tried a mild reflex design w/ trapped limbs? I'm a recurve guy but have a 62'' Frederick Baron that's very nice to shoot, even for this recuve guy.

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: November 29, 2014, 07:24:00 PM »
Hey Overbo,

Those Frederick longbows are sweet.  I sold mine a couple of years ago and have regretted it.  I think mine was a little longer, but don't recall for sure.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: November 30, 2014, 09:49:00 AM »
up
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: December 02, 2014, 03:18:00 PM »
I don't think there is any shortage of long bows out there....is there?

If you want long....buy long.

Some guys just like short, so bowyers build them.

My 56" longbows and recurves shoot great!
Irv Eichorst

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2014, 06:35:00 PM »
:deadhorse:

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: December 02, 2014, 09:22:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by riverrat 2:
 :dunno:    :dunno:

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: December 02, 2014, 10:10:00 PM »

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: December 02, 2014, 10:11:00 PM »
I love longbows bro. I love LONG R/D longbows. I feel there are some nice ones out there that would be great to own if they were LONGER. See.
It's not a silly thread. What a joke! I put the "dead horse thing" up because the whole point seems lost. But now I know they can't be made kirk. So...   :deadhorse:

Online twigflicker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: December 02, 2014, 11:25:00 PM »
Just a thought... Have you looked at Herb Meland's Pronghorns... I think he makes a 66" one piece....

Jonathan

PS. Sending a PM shortly...
TGMM - Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©