3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Short bows? really? don't you want more?  (Read 2657 times)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: Short bows? really? don't you want more?
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2014, 07:27:00 AM »
it's all relative, one way or t'other.

back in the 40's and 50's, and even 60's, a "short longbow" was at best 66" and most followed the dictum of arrow length to bow length, which meant a bow length of 67" to 72" (or longer!).

how in the world did those bowhunters of the early 20th century ever managed to kill so dang manner deer with such "long longbows"???? doh!   :D

isn't it fun living in such a fast food, gotta have it now, shorter/faster is better, info rich era?  what ... no?     :campfire:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2014, 07:27:00 AM »
I hear what your saying Rat, that you wish some guys would make longer bows because they fit you better...

I think when you finally find the perfect bow for you, it would be far more sweet because not everyone makes them.

Good luck.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2014, 09:00:00 AM »
I say shoot what you like
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2014, 09:05:00 AM »
Im with LB Hunter....I wish a bowyer would make a string follow in a 62-64" length ! I'd make it disapear like a pizza at a weight watchers event
                                     Steve

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2014, 09:10:00 AM »
By the way....I have shot with Big Jim and his side kick "preacher" and let me tell you for a fact...DEM BOYS CAN SHOOT !!!
                                Steve

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2014, 09:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tradcat:
Im with LB Hunter....I wish a bowyer would make a string follow in a 62-64" length ! I'd make it disapear like a pizza at a weight watchers event
                                     Steve
you must have a short draw length, because the geometry of a 64" string follow longbow would barely *appropriately* handle drawing to 26" at best.

there's a HUGE diff'rence 'tween an r/d "longbow" and an afl (american flat longbow), which is the least requirement for a string follow stick.  they's two very diff'rent animals.

i shoot a 7lakes string follow 68" longbow that tests my 29" draw length, and is better used at 28".
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2014, 10:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by BigJim:
To each their own I guess. I suppose if I had a longer draw, than I too would like a longer bow. Don't seem to have any problems shooting mine now however. My preferred bow lengts are 64" in my Buffalo Longbow, 58" in my ThunderChild and 60" in my Desert Bighorn Recurve.
They seem to work fine with my 32" draw but I guess if my draw was longer I would have to go with a longer bow.
I've never had a problem but I don't dwell on the little things...I guess every time I miss, I just figured it was me and not the bow. I don't suffer from finger pinch either...must be because my smallish hands.

Ever notice that if you drop a couple pounds of draw weight how smooth a bow becomes? Hmmmm, wonder how that happens? You can get the same effect out of increasing bow length.

Sorry, but I just am in a smart arse mood..must be all that turkey and stuffing and boy did I eat a lot of it!   :)  
BigJim
Musta worn a hole in the side of your face with all that tongue in chee   :thumbsup:   k humor
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2014, 10:58:00 AM »
Rat, I may have mis-read your OP, or some of the replies. I understood you to say you want "longer bows", rather than longer "longbows".

If we are talking "longbows", than I agree with you. 62" is about the minimum I care to shoot and I draw only 28". 66" is the longest I own now, but I'd love to try a 68" or 70".

If we are talking recurves, than I think 60" handles all my requirements, and my current favorite is my 58" RER. The little Shrew I shot recently was absolutely outstanding and I think it was only 54" and a pretty radical D/R design. My little 52" K-Mag is also not up for sale.

I don't own a pickup truck, but I notice they seem to be very popular. Just no accounting for some people's taste   :)
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2014, 11:46:00 AM »
An excerpt from my website

I hunted my first 25 years with a recurve; but soon came to love the quick pointing characteristics of the longbow. The longbows only drawback for hunting in tight cover was it's length. If a short longbow could be made without losing performance or stability, it would be a better hunting weapon, so the quest was on.  In the early 1990's after meeting bowyer Gary Holmes from Virginia , he and I discussed the idea for a short longbow. Gary agreed to make it and the first Shrew bows were born. Shrew bows, so named because of their short length, 52- 56" were a bold innovation to the world of traditional archery. People were used to longbows that were much longer and they were programmed to believe that short bows stacked and were unstable. It took awhile but the little Shrew soon knocked that theory into a cocked hat. Gene Wensel after hunting with a Shrew longbow called it the "Ultra-lite Flyrod" of longbows and said it was all that was needed in a good hunting bow.  
A turkey with a 52" Shrew bow

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2014, 11:49:00 AM »
I must be an oddball... I draw 32" and shoot a 62" Toelke Whip. I love it, and having shot his longer Whips, wouldn't trade it for a longer bow. But I shoot 2 under so finger pinch isn't an issue, and all I care about is hunting accuracy, not target shooting.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Mo0se

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2014, 11:57:00 AM »
There is no difference between target shooting and hunting...everything is a target. Either you hit it or you don't.
A longbow and wood arrows? Peas and Carrots!

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: November 28, 2014, 12:00:00 PM »
I have no problem with longer bows if that is your thing, but to just take a certain design and lengthen it waters down the mechanics of that design.

If a bow is designed to be the most efficient at 28"s, it can certainly be shot by people with longer or shorter draws, but it becomes less efficient. This is why bows feel sooo much smoother as they get longer. They are not being drawn or worked to their potential...no problem but then don't ask for the fastest.

If I were to design my Thunderchild (currently 54",56",or 58") to be efficient for the same draw length but make the bow six inches longer (60".62",64" ...i also have other sizes) It would no longer be the same bow, but it would be my Buffalo model.
There are no magical fromulas, it is all physics and geometry. The human factor is what confuses everything.

Shoot what gives you the warm and fuzzy. This will help confidence and is more inportant than every ft per sec or any other adjective or factor.
What works for one doesn't always work for others.
BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2014, 12:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mo0se:
There is no difference between target shooting and hunting...everything is a target. Either you hit it or you don't.
While this is true, there is certainly a difference between a live, moving target and an inanimate, static one!

Bisch

Offline kiamichi kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2014, 12:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by BigJim:
I have no problem with longer bows if that is your thing, but to just take a certain design and lengthen it waters down the mechanics of that design.

If a bow is designed to be the most efficient at 28"s, it can certainly be shot by people with longer or shorter draws, but it becomes less efficient. This is why bows feel sooo much smoother as they get longer. They are not being drawn or worked to their potential...no problem but then don't ask for the
If I were to design my Thunderchild (currently 54",56",or 58") to be efficient for the same draw length but make the bow six inches longer (60".62",64" ...i also have other sizes) It would no longer be the same bow, but it would be my Buffalo model.
There are no magical fromulas, it is all physics and geometry. The human factor is what confuses everything.

Shoot what gives you the warm and fuzzy. This will help confidence and is more inportant than every ft per sec or any other adjective or factor.
What works for one doesn't always work for others.
BigJim
Great perspective. I just ordered a Bob Lee longbow in 62" length. I realize it will not be as smooth as a 64" and not as quick as the recommended 60" for my draw but I am hoping for that "warm fuzzy" in the 62" length. I agree that the confidence that comes from such a feeling is worth more than anything statistics have to offer.
For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. Phil. 1:21

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2014, 01:46:00 PM »
Big Jim nailed it on taking a perfectly good design and stretching it out. It just won't be the same bow at all...

I don't think a lot of archers realize what goes into a bows design at all... Ron LaClairs Shrew was, and still is, an incredible feat of engineering.IMO.... To be able to get a 52" bow drawing 29" before she starts stacking up is very difficult to do. Early in my bow building adventure i built a one pc design very similar to Ron's Shrew. Ron took it as a compliment, and i had my hat in my hands in appreciation for the mans design... I no longer build them, but am still impressed with the design potential...

I think a HUGE part of archery is a mental game that hinges on confidence in our equipment.... If you have it in your heart that you shoot a longer length bow better than a shorter model. Then by God you are going to shoot the longer one better regardless of the two different performance levels of the bows...

Saying that longer bows shoot better than shorter ones is like saying "Blondes have more fun".... Eyes of the beholder, i say....

btw... I've always prefered brunettes myself.

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: November 28, 2014, 03:16:00 PM »
I'm no bowyer Kirkll. Let me ask you bowyers this...I've had a 54",56",58"and 62" Shrew. (I screwed up and sold that 62". It was almost perfect) Thought I could get another. Things change. I've had a 56" and a 58" Thunderchild. And as I posted prior,a 62" Jim Gainey Banshee which was very,very close to Big Jims Thunderchild. I've had a 58",60",and a few 62" Centaurs as well. I'll stop there. My point is this...Of ALL these bows..the LONGER they were...The BETTER they performed. I'm being honest,and I realize I'm just one dude. BUT I have shot/owned them all. So for the sake of argument I ask...By adding just 3 inches to each limbs tip will change these good bows I've listed into something worse? Cause honest Kirk..If a Shrew performs as good as it does at 52"..and they were pretty damn sweet at 62"...how would 64" change that sweetheart by adding just a bit more. Same should hold true with the others I threw into the ring. Based on my experience anyhow. I highly doubt that my whine will cause any bowyer to go build a new form. But I'll cross my fingers just in case.  rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: November 28, 2014, 05:40:00 PM »
I'm  5'9" and only have a 26 1/2" draw but prefer 67"to 68" Hill style longbows. I have shot the shorter bows. They get a little more speed being shorter but I just like the way the longer bows shoot and feel. Nothing against people who like the shorter bows. If it works for ya then great. That's what it is all about.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: November 28, 2014, 07:00:00 PM »
Glenn St. Charles was right, man is still trying to reinvent the bow!

Jim Hamm has a story also in P.A. this issue about longbows!   :bigsmyl:

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: November 28, 2014, 07:20:00 PM »
I have a 60 inch string follow that I have been hunting with. raw it to 28 incvhes with absolutely no problem at all. I  build the Frontier 66 in lengths from 60 to 68 inches and have for several years. It is a true string follow with no reflex anywhere. Not only that it is a foreward riser. So far all of the owners really like the bows but they have not been a best seller by any means and I am actually thinking about discontinuing offering them due to lack of interest.
Like I said earlier there is lots of talk and little action when it comes to long bows IMHO. I believe this is because if you are a long , long bow afficiendo you perhaps think about one bow builder in particular. HH and I might say that there is absolutely nothing wrong with that . However it explains IMHO why there is not a lot of incentive for other bowyers to build them.

God bless and hope you all had a great Thanksgiving , Steve

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: November 28, 2014, 07:56:00 PM »
I thought longbows were part of the challenge?

They are for me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©