3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Getting discouraged  (Read 436 times)

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Getting discouraged
« on: November 27, 2014, 10:51:00 AM »
So, another hunt down in the books with no deer sighting at all.  I really would love to have the success of just seeing animals, let alone shoot one.  I have seen one doe while hunting this year and believe I would have had better luck hunting public land.  There are sign everywhere tracks, scat, and rubs I just can't seem to connect the timing with them.  I think I did push some out this morning when walking to my spot.  There were fresh tracks on the main trail that were not there when I walked in.  Everything is so thick and flooded now and I am losing hope.  

I found some hog droppings yesterday and think he was close because I could still smell him, but I had to lay low because some knuckle head decided to target shoot into the woods and I could literally hear the rounds zinging through the brush.  Found a big tree and laid in the wet mud until dark.  I was not happy.

I guess it is time to find some new ground to hunt or maybe look at buying a lease.  I think all the deer here have gone nocturnal and feel like there is really no point hunting this area until maybe next year.  I love the woods and enjoy my time has much as possible when I am out there (especially when FL gets cold weather like this).

What do you guys do when you hit your low?
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Romans 10:14 KJV

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Getting discouraged
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 11:15:00 AM »
If you are seeing fewer deer in an area where you used to see many, you may want to consider any changes in the areas surrounding your hunting grounds. Has there been housing development or significant logging operations close to your property, etc. that may have changed deer habits? Severe weather changes may affect them and their movements. Unless something unusual has happened, I doubt that they would just all suddenly go nocturnal. If you are pushing deer out and seeing tracks, they are still there. Perhaps more scouting may reveal better stand placement. Good luck, and don't lose faith.

I know your frustration, though. Last spring, we cut wood on my small property, which has slightly affected movement. Some of my stands, which I felt would not be affected, have not been productive. A few that I relocated apparently will need to be moved again.
Sam

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 11:26:00 AM »
The land I am hunting is not the best, but deer are there.  Lots of shooting, 4 wheelers, and dumping goes on out here and is one of the reasons I thought it would be overlooked by other hunters.  I killed a 6 point off it last year and saw another buck I missed the day before.  All my time in FL hunting I have never been in a stand and saw more than 1 deer at a time.  I figured it was the state due to how thick it is here.  You can't see in most areas past 20-30 yards and that distance is if your lucky.

I have a pretty good idea where the deer are at during the day.  There is a small pine ridge maybe 75 yards wide between a swamp and unused railroad bed.  Problem is it is so thick you can't get in and hunt it.  I think I have been over hunting one spot and will definitely change it up tomorrow a.m.  and go to the other side of the pond.  These areas are filled with water right now, shin deep.  I don't know if that is a factor or not and I have not been to the other side in some time.
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 11:27:00 AM »
There have probably been a lot of knuckle heads roaming that area target shooting.  Personally, I would look for new areas and force myself to drive or hike the added distances to get away from the crowds.

I live in the crowded area between Seattle and Tacoma and have to plan my hunts 4-6 hours away where I camp or stay in a motel.  I love the solitude of the forest as well, but I also like seeing a critter once in a while.
Lon Scott

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 05:22:00 PM »
I sympathize with you. Down here this year it seems like the deer have been very nocturnal. Not all, but even buddies who use trail cams agree that many of their "sure thing" deer are keeping to the dark. I still have almost 2 months of deer season so I'm not fretting yet, plus the good pigging is right around the corner! Fall leaves, fall!!
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 07:17:00 PM »
Man that is hunting around here - unless you have some private land with fields and stuff. I hunt 10 times to see one deer?? It is just life hunting thick woods Croatan/eastern nc public land. Got folks hunting private land and they see them every hunt though they are baiting as well. Set on good sign too! Fresh tracks droppings, just deer move at night here.

Gets easier when the dog hunters get in the woods as I know how the dogs and deer will run the land and can set up to intercept them. Course the double edge sword is the dog running I think is what makes them nocturnal!

Best advice I can give is to stay after em, stay in the woods, ya can't kill em on the couch.
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline CDorton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 07:41:00 PM »
Trail cameras are a great tool for figuring out where deer are during daylight hours. Just use the time of the picture and the deer's direction of travel to determine where you need to be in daylight. I don't know when your rut takes place, but immediately after the rut always seems to be a difficult time. I think the deer rest up after all the action. Its been hard hunting here the last week or two.

Offline savage1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 08:00:00 PM »
I used to live in the northwoods of wisconsin and rarely saw people. Soooo much land.

Now I live just out of milwaukee and hunt public land down here. Too many people so little land. My new peeve is squirrel hunters god bless them. There out early and cover every woodlot.

The deer high tail it into the refuge areas and the bow hunters are left high n dry..
Simethings dont mix well. Its everybodies land to use. Next year I will buy a small game lic. instead of archery deer. If you cant beat them join them.

My out of state juants are my consolation..

Lou
Beetle kill, Usa.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 06:42:00 AM »
respectfully, maybe y'all need an attitude course correction.     :campfire:    

think about yer hunt priorities.

unless you need the meat to live, to feed yer family, the hunt shouldn't be primarily about the kill - that's the feather in yer cap.  

it's about getting out in nature and enjoying her offerings.  if yer lucky, it's also about being with yer buds and other like-minded trad bowhunters, and sharing the adventures afield.      

rethink yer hunting.  learn from others.  there are things we can all do better, there are no exceptions.  all this takes effort.  it's rare to be handed a "gimme" shot on a deer or hog, and even if so, are ya up to the task?  

if the kill is solely the focus and goal, yer missing out on the thrill of the journey.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline CDorton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 08:58:00 AM »
Very well said Rob. I agree!    :thumbsup:   I'm thankful for each and every day I spend in the woods. Dad always says "A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work." I don't think any of us would get into traditional archery if it was all about the kill. I know one thing though, it gets mighty hard to sit in the stand sometime if you haven't seen deer in a while. You have to have faith that your location will produce deer to be able to put in the hours necessary sometimes.

Offline Krex1010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 09:16:00 AM »
Think about where your stand location is in relation to bedding areas....I hunt some smaller wood lots and I used to have the same issues, deer sign everywhere but I saw few if any deer. I realized then that these smaller wood lots usually have a couple doe groups, which have a smaller core area, one family group of does can make a TON of sign. The challenge if these small wood lots is getting to your stand without the deer knowing, wood lot deer will often not run when they see or hear it smell you, they often slip away and avoid the area you are in, and you'll never now they where there. Try hanging back, hunting the edges, don't press in too far. You may spend a hunt or two watching deer out of range but you will learn a ton about the property you are hunting.
"You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim"

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 09:35:00 AM »
I think if you go out with a trad bow or any bow for that matter you already proven it is not all about the kill. If it was when I grabbed gear I'd move my hand over about half a foot and grab the stock of my 308!
Is nice to see em though and realize they do exist and your not chasing sasquatches. :-) ya go for awhile and don't see animals it gets discouraging - without doubt. That is when ya really got to realize ya love to hunt and your gonna stay after it.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 09:36:00 AM »
Rob,
  Well said, I believe maturity and getting a few animals on the ground help that attitude to grow.

In my youth it was blood lust and all about the kill, as we mature sure I want to put an animal on the ground, but it is not the main reason for my hunt.

I enjoy my time in nature and appreciate every minute spent there, a kill is icing on the cake, (and a lot more work!)
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 09:53:00 AM »
Oh, please don't get me wrong.  If it was about the kill I to would be bringing a gun, but it's not.  I am discourage just by the lack of wildlife I have seen this year.  1 doe that is it, well a few squirrels.  I still bring my bow into the woods now and it is general gun season here.  

It's like I tell my wife.  I could go sit out in a stand all day and watch deer and never have a shot present itself for the season or get lucky and shoot 1 deer a season but that is all I see.  I would take watching the deer.  The anticipation of the shot is what gets you worked up and everything leading up to release of the arrow.  Having deer around you while hunting show that you have had a successful year.  Not seeing anything?  Well I get discouraged.

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 09:58:00 AM »
Thanks Krex, I am going to try to slip in next time and go to the first Oak I see.  It's also not underwater.  I went out this a.m. and my water boots got filled.  The area is almost but destroyed from all of the flooding.  A big problem is getting in quietly.  Palmettos are huge noise makers and the first 40 yards is thick with them.  I will be hunting public land next year and already planning to do a bunch of scouting soon as general gun is over.

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 03:42:00 PM »
I don't think anyone's unduly fixating on "the kill" here, as already stated: how can you be THAT fixated on "the kill" with a trad bow? Still, often when people hunt that split that time in the woods with family obligations, jobs, chores, and a host of other seasonal responsibilities it HAS to be about more than bumbling through the woods soley to see pretty leaves. One day, God willing, I will have lived long enough to be retired, children grown, and wife tired of me to the point where I have little else to do but meander through the woods. Until then,
I think its ok to get a little "discouraged" if you're spending a lot of time and energy hunting and don't even see your quarry. Hang in there, keep at it and use every hunt to get a little better at it all. Think I'm going to mix it up tomorrow with a little pig fun.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Wallydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 04:07:00 PM »
I have to agree Robert. I lost my hunting property last year and have had to do my best with a small strip of land where Im lucky to see a deer. While its still a good day to be out it gets old real quick when you can go 10 hunts and not see a deer.Its most likely your deer are nocturnal or feeling hunter pressure so they react accordingly. A trail cam can help for you to see what deer are around and what time they are around. Hang in there. I take blunts and shoot squirrels for fighting the boredom.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©