3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Barred Owl  (Read 742 times)

Offline CDorton

• Trad Bowhunter
Barred Owl
« on: November 27, 2014, 12:02:00 PM »
So, it would seem I have a new hunting partner. 4 times over the last 3 weeks I've had a barred owl flying from perch to perch in my immediate vicinity. I hung a new stand that I've hunted 3 times, and all 3 times I've seen him.

Last Sunday Mr. Owl sat on his perch and watched me get out of my truck, put my clothes on, and walk in the woods. Around 10 a.m., here comes Mr. Owl. He lands on a branch 20 yards to my right, then flies right under my stand and lands on a branch 10 yards to my left. Now he's sitting 10 yards away at eye level. He looks me over, then goes about his business, watching squirrels. He finally flies off about 10 minutes later. I saw him again this morning. He wasn't as close, but I'm sure he knew I was there, and he spent some time in the area again.

As far as I know, owl sightings during daylight hours are relatively rare. I find it odd that I am seeing this owl so much. Anyone else have any thoughts or experiences to share?

I know there is a lot of lore and superstition surrounding owls. All these sightings are making me think. Bad luck? Good luck? Coincidentally I haven't seen any deer on days that I've seen the owl. Maybe he's just a really hungry owl    :dunno:

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Barred Owl
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
I have seen owls numerous times while hunting, a couple of times I thought that they believed me to be a very large mouse, as they made their predatory approach at my head. Watched this one for a good while this year, and he watched me right back.

If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 12:10:00 PM »
Beautiful Bird!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline CDorton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 12:20:00 PM »
Centaur, is that a great horned owl? I keep hoping that my owl doesn't get too big for his britches and come at me, LOL. I wouldn't think much of it if it was every once in awhile, just something about the frequency of the sightings that's got me thinking. And I agree, they are beautiful birds. The barred owls pitch black eyes have a way of creeping you out a little when they are staring at you though haha

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 12:27:00 PM »
I've had a number of hawks spot & fly at me in a tree stand.  I think they see you eyes and don't recognize your shape especially in camo.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 12:28:00 PM »
Yes, a great horned owl. He has very yellow eyes, as can be seen here….

If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 12:49:00 PM »
Owls are a special treat for me.  We have mostly barred owls and some great horned owls around here.  Had several barreds give us a 45 min serenade one morning earlier this season; who cooks for you, rolls and monkey calls.  It was a real privilege.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 02:07:00 PM »
I had an owl fly in and land on a branch about 10 feet from me earlier this season on an evening hunt. Its back was to me...so I just sit real still...watchin its head scanning back and forth for any movement. In an instant he took off towards the ground and literally crashed into it. I threw up my binoculars to see him having dinner on a giant field rat. One of the coolest things I seen all season!
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 02:51:00 PM »
My favorite of all the raptors! Love em. Gorgeous photos!!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 02:58:00 PM »
This time of year they are cool to watch. But If you place a stand too close to a nest when they got little ones...Look out! Mama owls are very protective. I've had em dive bomb me several times and those talons are HUGE!

I love watching owls...

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 03:32:00 PM »
last year I had a merlin falcon attack my fletch as I was wearing a "bushn a bag"..and likely looked like a bush ...my fletch was white with a barred red cock feather....I think the arrow fletch looked like a woodpecker and he attacked it....he flared when i jumped as he was 1 ft away...it was funny...he landed and looked like he was going to try again so I got up and let him know I was not a bush LOL...have a greathorned owl in the area too but only see him once or twice each season..

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 04:19:00 PM »
Owls are just so cool........
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 04:56:00 PM »
I have a few that frequent my property and at night they start cutting up with calls. I love to listen to them.I also like to call back to them. It get's them fired up some nights. Turkeys will gobble to their hoots and monkey chatter or an imitation call of them by a human.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline CDorton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 07:29:00 PM »
I do feel privileged being able to watch the owl so much. They are indeed neat birds. Centaur, those pictures are amazing. Next time I hunt that stand I might make it a point to take a good camera along with me.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
Man love to see em hear em. All kinds of superstitions surround owls if you care to believe em.

Had one almost take my head off in the stand once. His right wing slapped me in the face and he made no noise at all. I almost jumped out me stand.

Cool pics!
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 10:38:00 AM »
Yes, owls  are big medicine.  The upside is if all the folklore was true, you'd already be dead!  Cory, are you still there, lol?
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 11:04:00 AM »
I have two owls out on my place that I see fairly often. I have never had the owls make a pass at me, but the hawks have buzzed me several times. I really like birds of prey.
Sam

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2014, 11:48:00 AM »
Owls are cool , and silent in flight!!

This one came in from behind me and landed about 10' in front after irritating a squirrel behind me for a bit. Wondered what had the squirrel so stirred up.

Had to make a squirrel bark to get him to look around the tree, all I could see before was both edges of him....

Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2014, 11:55:00 AM »
When I went to Iowa in 2006, right at first light I had a barred owl light 50 or 60 feet away.  He made his silent stalk on me, one tree at a time until he was directly over me, about 15 feet above.  I was keeping an eye on him as I figured what was going to happen (I'd seen an owl get a squirrel using this maneuver several years before).  Suddenly, he dropped down at me, me waving both arms to keep him away-I brushed his wings.  He flew to another tree and did the same thing a second time.  After the second try, I guess he got the message.  He flew to another tree and watched me for a few minutes, then very quietly flew off.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2014, 12:44:00 PM »
My parents had one at their house for a few days. It never acted quite right. Must have been hit by a car, or sick? Not sure. Was pretty cool to be so close. It sat and watched me very closely as I practiced shooting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©