3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Barred Owl  (Read 743 times)

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Barred Owl
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2014, 12:45:00 PM »

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2014, 12:46:00 PM »

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2014, 12:50:00 PM »
I later found it had died. I was able to handle it and look it over. Didn't seem to be broken anywhere. But quite an impressive predator needless to say. My brother made some phone calls and we were able to find a legal way of having it preserved (not by us), but the authorities came and got it.

Offline PUDDLE JUMPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2014, 01:27:00 PM »
Birds have made many a hunt for me. Always enjoy watching them, especially Raptors. I have come upon dead ones before and would love to have one mounted. I was told road kills are sometimes given to schools but not individuals,        understandable.

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2014, 02:42:00 PM »
My wife is an avid birder. She and a friend were volunteers in a barred owk survey here for several weeks. I went along to help. The survey was done at night. They played a recording of barred owl calls in each of several carefully documented sites, wait for a measured time, play again, note if we got a reply. Totally cool when we did. The owl would hoot and then come closer and hoot again. We could hear rhem call a long way off, making their way to us.
Another thing they have done was to use a call tape that had several seconds of calls by each species of owl, arranged in ascending size, (from pygmy to great horned, I think).Apparently an owl will respond to a call of any owl of its own species or to a smaller species, it will go silent if a bigger owl is calling. Using this tape, they would work a responding owl with ever larger owl calls until it quit calling back, which along with recognizing the call it was making, helped identify the owl you were hearing.
I thought that was a pretty cool thing to do in an evening....

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2014, 05:02:00 PM »
Great pics kenny and dhermon85. I think they are beautiful birds. I also like hawks.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Richard Rounds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2014, 05:20:00 PM »

Beautiful birds. This guy was in my backyard a couple years ago.

Offline Richard Rounds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2014, 05:25:00 PM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©