3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: to hunt or not to hunt  (Read 551 times)

Offline troutbum1

• Trad Bowhunter
to hunt or not to hunt
« on: November 28, 2014, 11:44:00 AM »
Iv'e been asked to go gun hunting with a few friends on opening day of Maryland 2 week gun season.I have not hunted with a rifle for a few years now for deer.I'm just not excited about gun hunting as with trad bows. I do good in the area during bow season, and i can not wait to go bow hunting. Plus the woods will be full of the hunting heard's. Have any of you felt this way about deer hunting with a gun. I normally don't hunt with these guys, because they don't bow hunt.
I hunt & kill game, I don't harvest

Offline Bow Bum

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: to hunt or not to hunt
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 11:49:00 AM »
Yes,

But once I'm in the woods with a gun and settled in. My mind goes back to some of the other simpler times when when hunting with a gun was a rich tradition and I start to feel kinda good about it like when I'm bowhunting, however, its still not as exciting...

I'd say go.

Good luck!

B

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 11:53:00 AM »
If they are you buddys, and you want to go spend some time with them, then go. Have a good time with your friends and don't worry about the gun thing.

I am of the same attitude as you as far as rifle hunting goes. I really don't care to shoot a deer, or any other critter with a rifle.

That being said though, if one of my friends asked me to go hunting with him, and all we could do was rifle, I would go just to spend some time with my friend. Don't know if I would shoot anything or not, but I would go, and I would have fun with my friend.

Bisch

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 11:54:00 AM »
Yeah.  Sometimes I go if I want to up the chance of putting some venison in the freezer, and if it's nice weather outside, but it's not the same.  Not just because the personal challenge is less, but in a lot of MD, opening morning feels more like shooting than hunting, just because you hear a lot of popping.  I mostly just look forward to getting back out a week or so after the firearms season ends.
Jim

Offline CDorton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 12:03:00 PM »
I don't feel much challenge with the gun. The last 2 I've taken with the gun haven't been real satisfying for me. That being said, I've gun hunted with my uncle every year since I was a kid, and will probably continue doing so for tradition's sake. Its a special exception just so I can spend some time in the woods with family.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 12:07:00 PM »
If they are guys who you enjoy hanging around I would ask to video their hunts or just bring your bow along. Bringing your bow can be a problem because they see you as another stunk up stand With little likelihood of harvest.
I have some friends who are into guns and because I Love to hang out with them I'll find ways we can shoot together, like duckhunting, Bird hunting, or predator calling.

Offline traditional_archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
Troutbum1,
  Any day spent in God's country enjoying nature and time spent with friends and family is time well spent with no regrets later.

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 12:14:00 PM »
Enjoy the day hunting with them.  Shoot a deer if you want to, and if not, enjoy the day!  Simple!

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 12:26:00 PM »
I never miss opening day (Nov 15th in MI) with my younger son, who does not bow hunt. Do I enjoy it as much as hunting with my bow? Not really. Do I consider my time wasted? Not on your life. I relish any time I can spend with my sons out hunting.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline bobman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 12:30:00 PM »
I like any kind of hunting... I like some more than others but I've never not had fun on a hunting trip.

And good friends are hard to come by

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 12:35:00 PM »
Ive realized just last year that bow hunting has cost me several friends. Not permanently though, just that we don't spend time like we once did and no one is mad at me. Ive made amends to that this year and while bowhunting is my passion I won't let it interfere with spending time with my people.

Offline troutbum1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 01:00:00 PM »
Thanks , Like i said it was a new felling i have never felt before in hunting. But your all right, being on the hunt, being outdoors in God's country is always a blessing and being with good friends. I'm going, Rifle is sighted in and i'm packed. Thank's.
I hunt & kill game, I don't harvest

Offline PUDDLE JUMPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 01:01:00 PM »
Go have fun and if you don't feel like taking an animal no worries. You can always raise the bar on what is acceptable for you.

Gun hunting is also a great management tool for bowhunters hunting private land. In areas with a lot of deer farmers like to see some does taken along with bucks.

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 01:17:00 PM »
Two days ago me and a long time hunting pal went out for a hunt. He saw me put my long bow in the back of his truck and while sliding his rifle next to it said "I wish I was that dedicated". I dont view it as dedicaion but desire. We had a good hunt, neither bagging anything. He loves bow hunting but uses whats legal for that season.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 01:36:00 PM »
Up until a couple of years ago my home state didn't allow bows to be used during gun season.  Although I much prefer bowhunting, I never missed a gun season because my wife and brother are only gun hunters and that is my only time to spend hunting with either of them.

For the past few years Wisconsin now allows bows to be used so that is what I carry.  Now we are all happy!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 05:38:00 PM »
Although I prefer to Bowhunt, sometimes if my real friends want to go gun hunting I still go.  I still find myself being super selective at the shots I will take and seldom Kill anything but I still have a good time in the woods regardless.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline nlester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 05:59:00 PM »
Go and enjoy!  You'll be glad you did
Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge;
   fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Online GRAYBEARD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2014, 06:09:00 PM »
The demands of bowhunting can only improve your overall abilities in the woods. Game, honorably taken, with a clean, humane kill regardless of weapon, is always the ethical hunter's goal. Enjoy your time in the woods with friends, there isn't enough of it in most of our lives.
TGMM Family of the Bow; Make every heartbeat a party, the next one is not guaranteed!

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2014, 06:36:00 PM »
Go and have fun. Nothing is wrong with using a gun. Be with your buddies.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2014, 08:12:00 PM »
"Deer Camp" is kind of a big deal for me at our property in Wisconsin.  My son, grandson, and a good friend of ours always meet at our property for the gun season.

All of us are avid bowhunters, but for this weekend the rifles come out and we have a good time.  I prefer bowhunting, but I would really miss not having the chance to take part in this annual tradition.

Bernie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©