3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: cross draw knife/sheath  (Read 734 times)

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
cross draw knife/sheath
« on: November 28, 2014, 07:24:00 PM »
When hunting I don't like to wear a knife on the belt in a standard vertical sheath as it seems to catch my harness, jacket etc.. I've tried neck knives but would like to try a sheath knife mounted horizontally.  I've looked at the Fred Eichler knife that 3rivers sells.  Are there any others I could look at or that anyone would recommend?  I don't really want to spend more than $100 as I have a tendency to lose knives faster than I can buy them.  Also, for anyone that has used this type of sheath was there ever a problem with the knife falling out of the sheath?

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: cross draw knife/sheath
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 07:49:00 PM »
This type of knife and sheath is like a lot of things. If it is well planned and well made, it will work great.

In other words a well made custom knife, or any good knife for that matter, that is custom fit to a well made sheath should stay in the sheath until you need it and be a pleasure to use.

A lanyard string on a horizontal knife can snag on brush and pull it out, then you have no knife.

Some kydex sheaths can be arranged that way and be pretty secure. For that kind of money, I would say kydex will be your best bet.

Just my thoughts.
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 09:21:00 PM »
A large folding pocket knife could be an option. I like knives of all ilks and have used both folders and sheath knives, but if I was having problems with carrying a knife on my belt I wouldn't have any qualms with a good folder. There are ALL kinds of quality selections. Just an idea.
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 09:54:00 PM »
Hey Gary, I've got a horizontal sheath on my Packer you should check out. I just ordered an Izula and have some Kydex for it. Hopefully that turns out awesome too. Give a call sometime!
Thom

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 10:08:00 PM »
I don't really like a vertical sheath on either side. I wear mine on the strong side, but worn behind the hip with a forward slant to it.

I've made cross draw sheaths that are not purely horizontal - just a really strong forward rake to them on the off side that's 30 degrees or so from horizontal. Like Lin said, a well designed sheath should hold that knife securely at any angle.

My belly is just starting to get in the way for a cross draw     :(
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 10:23:00 PM »
A folding knife is short enough in the sheath to not stack out and catch on things, and you can add belt loops attached 90 degrees to the larger beltloop that is already attached to the back side of the sheath. I've done this when I'm wearing multiple layers and its hard to dig my knife out of its sheath behind my hip under two or three layers  heavy . I've also tried a thigh sheath, attaching the knife to the outside of the mid thigh on a strap like the scuba divers, but it always works loose.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 10:43:00 PM »
I had a cross draw sheath made for my fixed blade, and it works great. Not quite horizontal; rides at a slight angle off my belt. Definitely like it better than a standard sheath. I forget the cost, but it was much less than $100.
No drawbacks to the sheath, in my experience, and definitely some advantages.

Sent you a PM.

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 12:11:00 AM »
I hunted with a fellow that had a knife, vertically mounted on his left ( he's right handed ) pack shoulder strap. It was mounted handle down so he could grab it quickly and easily. It stayed put till needed and was out of the way. I really liked that set up. I haven't found  the right knife / sheath combo yet, for me and my hunt pack, but I think it is one of the best set ups I've ever seen.

Just another idea to put in the pot.   :readit:
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 01:27:00 AM »
When I was a kid,having that knife on the belt was important.A few decades later,I still can't think of why the knife or knives,needs to be outside my pack.

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 09:49:00 AM »
Thanks for the ideas guys.  I'm replacing my GFA neck knife which was the latest one to run away from home.  The only thing I didn't like about a neck knife is if I was only wearing one shirt and it was on the outside it would swing around too much for me.  
Thom- I'll give you a call.  I'd like to see your sheath.  I like the Izula.  Looks like it would be a great size for field dressing with the length of blade and drop point.  Maybe I can meet up with you guys at Grand Valley when you're shooting sometime.  
JimB- If I am carrying a pack I always put my knife in the pack even my neck knife but I usually don't carry a pack.  I have everything in my pockets as I have my treestand on my back.
Looks like there a lots of custom Kydex sheath makers.  Maybe the Izula with a custom horizontal kydex or leather sheath.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 10:03:00 AM »
Get the knife you want (I like the Becker BK11) and have a kydex sheath made for it.  There are tons of folks out there that will make the sheath you want for very little money.

Actually, the BK11 or BK14 both come with an injection molded plastic sheath.  Both can be rigged to be worn like you like - either with paracord or with a Tek-Lok or something similar.

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2014, 10:12:00 AM »
I really like cross draw sheaths. In general leather is the best looking but Kydex is the most secure.  I've been fooling around with Kydex for the last year and really like this style that can be worn cross draw RH, LH, or behind the back.  Kydex sheaths tend to be a lot cheaper than a good leather too...tippit

Or a really secure neck knife with Kydex covered in leather...

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2014, 11:33:00 AM »
Gary, i sent ya a pm.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 02:08:00 PM »
I carry both my folder & straight knife in my haversack. I have tried the horizontal carry, but I continually had it fall out. Also, it was uncomfortable on the belt whether horizontal or vertical. Putting them in the haversack provides good security unless you set it down while dressing out a deer, a problem I have not had lately.
Sam

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2014, 02:56:00 PM »
I'm like you and don't like a vertical slung knife.  I've started to carry mine strapped to my right calf with a modified short leather belt and tucked inside my rubber boot.

Really handy and out of the way until when I need it.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2014, 03:53:00 PM »
I have a Skinner knife with the "canoe" style sheath from Ron LaClair.  I love the knife and the functionality of the horizontal carry.  

I think I paid a little over a $100.
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2014, 04:16:00 PM »
Leather version of over the top strap...

If you want fancy, back strap version by Scott Teaschner...

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Greyswampfox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2014, 04:52:00 PM »
Ahti knives from Finland makes a few knives that are offered with a cross draw sheath.  These are traditional knives of good quality and great steel. The Korpi or Janka have 3" blades, make a great hunting knives and can be had for less than $60 from a domestic dealer.  I really like the traditional look these knives have.  I have had one for years and still love it.
Predator Hunter 50 @ 28
Palmer Classic 45 @ 28
Martin Hunter 55@28

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2014, 10:35:00 AM »
Reading this post has been quite an education.

Cross draw, in hunting revolvers, to me would have meant on a 45* angle, not horizontal.

Good to come here and get eduamcated...   :rolleyes:

I was always stabbing myself in the kidney with sheath knives so went with first in my pack (fanny or day) and then with folders (still in pack of some sort).

Ron LeClare's post here about his Voyager knife got me thinking about a nice 45* angle sheath like my "cross draw" rig I made for a Black Hawk revolver...alas, That's not what knife folks would call "cross draw". Doh!  :(  

Smarter now...thanks!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2014, 11:12:00 AM »
Doc Nock, I still agree with your original concept of a cross draw. If you reach across to the draw your knife/gun/whatever from the other side of your body, that's a cross draw.

For a very small knife, the horizontal cross draw works well. For a normal hunting size blade (3" - 5" let's say), a horizontal carry does not work as well for me as an angled sheath that is drawn mostly across, but also up. It seems much more convenient and comfortable to me. I don't care for one worn squarely in the middle in front as it bumps against everything I might lean into.

Isn't variety wonderful! I can have a short or long bow, a back, side, or bow quiver and a strongside/weakside carry for my knife or handgun.

Love it!
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©