3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black Coyote  (Read 1036 times)

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black Coyote
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2014, 04:05:00 PM »
I've seen two. Could've shot one with a rifle while deer hunting several years ago but it was early and I didn't want to spook any deer that may have been close by. Now, I wish I would've shot it.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2014, 04:11:00 PM »
I've never seen one in Oregon,Co0lorado, Nevada, CAlifornia, Arizona and that includes years of predator hunting and looking at thousands of coyotes. I have seen from almost white , silver, grey and red to dark grey.
I suspect you have wolf croses and if a dna test were taken that would probably show this to be the case. If the female is a coyote the pups are usually small too. I would imagine a female coyote in heat would be an apt mate for a young wolf looking to start a family.

God bless, Steve

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2014, 05:16:00 PM »
Coyotes are fascinating creatures.  I was a diehard dog hunter before becoming fixated on traditional bow hunting. There are quite a few black coyotes killed every year.
And, yes, I agree with KS Trapper, coy dogs do exist.  January 2000 I called a 50 lbs coy dog to my buddies bullet.  Medium hair length and colored like a domestic dog with the face and tail of a coyote.  It was running with a full coyote, probably a female considering her size and time of year.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2014, 05:48:00 PM »
Hmmm.  No wolves in PA.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2014, 05:59:00 PM »
Believe me there are plenty caught each year in multiple states in all directions just because you don't see them dosent mean there not there.  Are they crossed up probably most of them with dogs but there are black species of animals in all types of breeds deer, fox, coyotes, raccoons, opossums even squirrels. I see them every year on trapping sights. I've caught a few but can't catch a white one to save my butt.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2014, 07:01:00 PM »
Saw one on my property a few years back reminded me of the Walt Disney evil wolf trotting along in the woods.  Certainly acted like it had some place to go.

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2014, 10:56:00 PM »
A local guy here in NW MO had one at my taxidermist's house a couple of years ago.
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline Grizzbear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2014, 11:12:00 PM »
Saw one in southeast south dakota last year. Beautiful

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2014, 06:21:00 AM »
Several have been killed here in western Va, unfortunately not by me but someday would really like to have the hide of one tanned to hang with the red foxes I've killed.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2014, 06:56:00 AM »
The most recent DNA research shows a couple of interesting things about wolves and coyotes.  1.  Black fur is dog DNA. and 2. Most coyotes over 55 lbs. have dog DNA.  Most mono color phases have to be selected for.  Nature doesn't do it as a rule.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2014, 08:06:00 AM »
I believe it, but I would have thought the weight would have been lower that's pretty big. I've caught hundreds of coyotes and checked there weights and it takes a special coyote in this area to hit 40#. I've only done it twice since keeping track many years ago one was 41# and this guy was 49#

He looked like he had been at the all you can eat buffet all week and felt heavier.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline zepnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2014, 09:01:00 AM »
Never seen a black one. Beautiful animal.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2014, 10:40:00 AM »
Super cool. I want one in the man cave. I've never seen one in the wild.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2014, 11:02:00 AM »
Cool, I have never seen a black coyote. Heck, I never even seen a picture of one before this thread.

I use to hunt coyotes quite a bit. I even have a deer stand called the "Coyote Stand". My oldest son and I have put an arrow thru more than a few Coyotes.

Offline BAPilot2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2014, 11:42:00 AM »
Black coyotes are a "Melanistic" (melanism) color phase of the animal.  Similar to albinism but not as rare an occurrence as the albino color phase would be.  The black color expression would be a recessive trait that could be expressed within a whole litter of puppies if a black male and a black female coyote were to breed.  The same would hold true if two albino coyotes were to breed, all their pups would be albino.

Black coyotes are no different than Black Panthers, which are melanistic cougars, and or, jaguars.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2014, 05:59:00 PM »
I would love to see one one day.  I have seen a lot of Darker ones but never black.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Lonehowl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2014, 01:57:00 PM »
I hunt coyotes a lot...Ive seen a couple blackies, but whitys are more common it seems. Not albinos, just white fur. Here is one I "harvested":

001  by  Lonehowl , on Flickr

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2014, 07:04:00 PM »
Seemed a bit rare years ago but I see them shot and trapped in Georgia very often.  I shot a monster black one last year with my bow and never recovered him.  I get 2-3 on trail cams every year. They are cool.

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2014, 07:48:00 PM »
40 pounds is pretty much the average for coyotes around here

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2014, 09:14:00 PM »
buddy of mine killed a HUGE one a few years ago. taxidermist told him he'd have given him $500 dollars for it... if he hadn't thrown it in the ditch! he was sick about it!   :rolleyes:
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©