3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: spine vs arrow weight  (Read 362 times)

Offline Riverrat43

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
spine vs arrow weight
« on: November 30, 2014, 07:48:00 PM »
For instance, Beman Centershot 500's weigh 8.3 gpi. Gold Tip Velocity hunters are also 500's but they weigh 6.3 gpi. How can two arrows have such different weights per inch yet both be spined to a 500 deflection?
Ask the American Indian what uncontrolled immigration did to his land and way of life.

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: spine vs arrow weight
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 07:52:00 PM »
Wall thickness is different and/or outside/inside diameters can be different from manufacturer to manufacturer.
CoilSpring

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 10:59:00 PM »
Numerous factors such as material strength, density, design and configuration.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Riverrat43

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 10:54:00 AM »
Then wouldn't your bow shoot differently with an arrow that was say, 70 or so grains lighter but with the same 500 spine weight than what you normally shoot? Can you tell a big difference with 70 grains less weight in the arrow shaft?
Ask the American Indian what uncontrolled immigration did to his land and way of life.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 11:33:00 AM »
I can't tell you the physics of it in terms of carbon, but it's in the construction process.  Easier to understand with aluminum.  You have a skinny shaft with a thick wall, or you have a fatter shaft with a thinner wall.  Both have about the same spine, and you pick weight or speed as your primary objective.  Spine wise, they should shoot about the same, only one will have a higher velocity and flatter trajectory.  The lighter shaft is often more fragile and subject to damage on hard hits or glance-offs, too.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 11:35:00 AM »
weight and stiffness (spine) are two different things.  

Lots can affect it including shape, size of shaft diameter, shaft wall thickness, the materials in the shaft wall and more.  

Your bow may very well shoot differently.  For certain, that is less weight, by a somewhat substantial amount.
ChuckC

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 11:49:00 AM »
I forgot to mention this, but on the carbons, at least till you get below .500 spine, the outside diameters will usually be the same, so centershot doesn't come into play like it would with aluminums.  Also, .500, .400, etc., are kind of catch-all designations, and the actual spine of the arrows might be slightly more or less than that number; there will usually be some fine print that gives the actual spine of that arrow rather than the general spine group.  Carbons also tend to vary more than aluminums in my experience, so there is no promise that two .500 spine carbons of the same diameter will shoot exactly the same for you, but normally you would decide whether you wanted speed or more weight for penetration and pick accordingly.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Riverrat43

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 09:42:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I believe I'll go with weight and penetration.

Offline McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 12:41:00 PM »
As an example, I shoot Gold Tip ultralight 600's in some of my lighter weight bows.  A 29" finished arrow weighs about 300 grains.  There was a sale on some Gold Tip 1535 traditionals that are also rated at 600 spine.  I bought them and the finished arrows weigh about 380 grains.  80 grains makes quite a difference in trajectory when used for targets at distances of 30 yards and out.  I wouldn't have bought them if I had known they were that much heavier.  I assume the difference is because the GT Trads have the wood grain wrap, whereas the GT ultralight 600's are just the basic black carbon, which I assume adds 80 grains to the overall arrow weight.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©