3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: strung backwards?  (Read 319 times)

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
strung backwards?
« on: December 01, 2014, 04:17:00 AM »
Im fairly new to traditional archery and i find myself always looking at used bows on the big auction site. i am seeing alot of sellers have their bows they are selling strung backwards for storage. is this safe to be doing or can it damage the bow?
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: strung backwards?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 05:37:00 AM »
Being from the old school, I say NO to stringing a bow up backwards for storage.  Many on here will so it will cause no harm.  The string for a recurve is 4" shorter than the bow and with the bow strung up backwards there is a certain amount of reverse pressure being put on the bow limbs.

I say why not hang the bow, unstrung on  the wall or lay the unstrung bow on a couple of pegs on the wall.

Never lean the bow in the corner.

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 07:16:00 AM »
I agree with the thought of pressure being applied the opposite directions can't be good for it.they were designed to bend a certain way is how I see it

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 07:36:00 AM »
this was pretty common back in the day.  They did it as a way to secure the string and keep it with the bow.  

Personally, when someone asks me what length string to use on a recurve I would suggest they measure that same distance for a start.  As long as the string is snug but not way short i can't imagine any damage to the bow.  I am not a bowyer, however.

CHuckC

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 09:15:00 AM »
Chuck is spot on..............

When I have a re-curve bow without a string I measure the reverse side (back) of the bow tip to tip and subtract 1/2". As a rule of thumb this will get you pretty close using B50 after it stretches in.

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 11:56:00 AM »
I think many of the sellers on the big auction site have absolutely no clue how to string the bow correctly and that's the only way they can get the string on. They will also misrepresent them as far as right hand/left hand because the string is on backwards.

I have bought several bows there and pretty much got what I thought I was buying, but not because of a knowledgeable description of the bow.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 03:07:00 PM »
Never mind storing the bow that way . I saw a guy trying to shoot a recurve that way !!!!
Dan Breen

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 05:46:00 PM »
I have found a few over the years stored that way and they were fine. I am not saying its good for the bow or they would all be fine, but if they bow was in great shape, I wouldn't be scared off by it.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 04:51:00 PM »
Well thanks for the info everyone! I was just curious if this could damage a bow and now k have !y answer.I still rather not store mine that way...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©